Disturbed Weather in North-NorthWestern GOM (Is Invest 90L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave East of the Windward Islands

#201 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 am

USTropics wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
USTropics wrote:00z GFS ensembles, very strong signal:

https://i.ibb.co/T16GCK3/gfs-ememb-lowlocs-watl-fh66-204.gif

The ensemble members seem to weaken the EPAC storm fairly quickly, which may be allowing a potential storm in the Gulf to flourish.

The operational was hinting at this as well, a quick spinup that gets further NW and weakens significantly. Also GEFS 500mb anomalies not displacing the subtropical high as far west (was displaced into the EGOM 5 runs ago):

https://i.ibb.co/JKyY41F/gfs-ens-z500a-Norm-atl-fh168-trend-1.gif

I agree with the GEFS, having a hard time believing that the Bermuda ridge will push so far west when a weakness has been lingering across the northern GOM more often than not this summer so far.
0 likes   

catskillfire51
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#202 Postby catskillfire51 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:24 am

Is it me or does the 6z GFS take the wave into Texas up to Arkansas then spins back to the Gulf by Mississippi ending up off Florida?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#203 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:30 am

catskillfire51 wrote:Is it me or does the 6z GFS take the wave into Texas up to Arkansas then spins back to the Gulf by Mississippi ending up off Florida?

It does, kind of crazy.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#204 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:41 am

Looks like the 06z GFS operational model run lost some ensembles support.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby stormlover2013 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 am

Yeah I think they will keep bouncing back and forth, Tuesday or wed should get a grasp on if something could form
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 am

Oh hey look.. convection is increasing.. gee i wonder why...
You think this might impart some more energy and vorticity into the wave for later use ?

Yep I believe so....

As convection increases the models will have something to latch onto besides a dry weak wave and should get a better idea of for or against development later on..
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#207 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:22 am

NDG wrote:Looks like the 06z GFS operational model run lost some ensembles support.

It's still looking like a wet weekend for the Gulf Coast, but not really any significant development. Louisiana might not need the rain, but Texas welcomes it.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#208 Postby stormlover2013 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am

nobody has no clue what its going to do still a longs way out, any moisture that sits in the gulf and could form into a tropical system needs to pay attention it. I think models will continuing to do flip flopping
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#209 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am

stormlover2013 wrote:nobody has no clue what its going to do still a longs way out, any moisture that sits in the gulf and could form into a tropical system needs to pay attention it. I think models will continuing to do flip flopping

Exactly.... the increased convection as it interacts with that TUTT will give the models something more to latch onto.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#210 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:48 am

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote:Looks like the 06z GFS operational model run lost some ensembles support.

It's still looking like a wet weekend for the Gulf Coast, but not really any significant development. Louisiana might not need the rain, but Texas welcomes it.

I think that there’s a good 50% of development with this tropical wave when it gets into the GOM, GFS & Euro are still persistent that it will have good UL environment as the death ridge moves west towards NW MX.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am

NDG wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

I think that there’s a good 50% of development with this tropical wave when it gets into the GOM, GFS & Euro are still persistent that it will have good UL environment as the death ridge moves west towards NW MX.

Our paid pros are only giving it a 10% chance, but admit it has potentially better conditions once it reaches the GoM.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#212 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 am

Wave axis now at 56W per 12z surface analysis.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#213 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:56 am

cycloneye wrote:Wave axis now at 56W per 12z surface analysis.

https://i.imgur.com/tbOmfEH.gif

Yep and as expected the convection has begun to increase. This should help the models with something substantial to work with.
1 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#214 Postby Nederlander » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 am

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Our paid pros are only giving it a 10% chance, but admit it has potentially better conditions once it reaches the GoM.

They are always bearish this far out. Which, I understand - waiting until the NHC starts putting out development chances to really give an opinion. Bottom line is that it’s very difficult to predict UL conditions that far out so who knows. The only thing I think we can say with any certainty is that there will be some sort of lp feature in the Carib/SW GOM next week and that SSTs will not be a limiting factor.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#215 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:03 am

Aric Dunn wrote:

Yep and as expected the convection has begun to increase. This should help the models with something substantial to work with.

The GFS has been persistent for days that convection will increase once it reaches the Windward islands, the problem is the low level jet after the islands that will keep it from developing until it reaches at least the western Caribbean if not the GOM.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby SoupBone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:19 am

GFS has that EPAC system at 180 hours as a pretty potent system. Nothing showing yet for this one (at 180 hours).
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#217 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:21 am

NDG wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

The GFS has been persistent for days that convection will increase once it reaches the Windward islands, the problem is the low level jet after the islands that will keep it from developing until it reaches at least the western Caribbean if not the GOM.

Here is what NDG is talking about the convection over the Windwards.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#218 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:28 am

cycloneye wrote:
NDG wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Here is what NDG is talking about the convection over the Windwards.

https://i.imgur.com/Yl8UlaV.png

Yes it has been showing this.. I have said this for 4 days... but it was just a forecast.. and until such things happen it is just that.. a forecast. Once the convection increases then the models have an ACTUAL feature to use.

the point is all the previous runs without any actual substantial convective mass or vorticity or something ( a weak dry wave does not typically show up well in models) are very low confidence.. but once we have convection ( like it is starting to do now) then models runs will become higher confidence..
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#219 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:03 pm

1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#220 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Not surprised that the 12z GFS operational run dropped development as it lost some of its ensembles' support from its earlier 06z run.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”