2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#2441 Postby Blown Away » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:58 pm

12z GFS... Still fantasy
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2442 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Blown Away wrote:https://i.imgur.com/5rAOX7x.gif
12z GFS... Still fantasy

Similar shenanigans as 12Z and 6Z on the 18Z GFS as well. A likely ghost as the EPS has no support for this and the GFS loves ghosts. It strengthens from nothing to 942 mb in the E Caribbean. :roll:

I'm always highly suspicious of a ghost when the GFS, alone, develops something rapidly that has just come off of SA. We've seen that a number of times. And then also consider the ghost it had on many runs for next week and that has disappeared from recent runs.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2443 Postby blp » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:37 pm

EPS with a weak signal but starting to show something with same timing and origin of the GEFS.

3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2444 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:44 pm

blp wrote:EPS with a weak signal but starting to show something with same timing and origin of the GEFS.

https://i.ibb.co/2jr84JS/eps-lowlocs-watl-fh144-360.gif

It's something that Mark Sudduth pointed out in his recent video, but the MJO is expected to be passing through the Atlantic by then. That favorable pattern, while not very strong, could be theoretically enough to jumpstart something there.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2445 Postby wxman57 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:31 am

I wouldn't be quick to believe the extended GFS as far as an east Caribbean storm. It also has very high wind shear in the region.
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2446 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:02 am

I've been hearing on WxTwitter that there is a GFSv16.3, is that true?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2447 Postby blp » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:36 am

I don't think the GFS system is a ghost anymore. The 12z CMC now clearly picking up on it just further west and the Icon at the 500mb level starting to show it. This one could be dangerous.

EDIT: 12z GFS completely different upper level setup. Much more ridging now. This run is going further west. :eek:
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2448 Postby blp » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:39 pm

12z GEFS coming in much weaker and further west in line with CMC. I think the GFS is going overboard on intensification. We have seen several systems struggle this year including Ian developing in the Eastern Carribean so close to SA. This one may have a chance in the central or western Carribean.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2449 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:53 am

I agree looking less like a phantom. The CMC op is showing development while the Euro ensembles are starting to come alive as well though more in the Western Caribbean.

00Z EPS:

3 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2450 Postby jconsor » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:29 am

Iceresistance wrote:I've been hearing on WxTwitter that there is a GFSv16.3, is that true?

Yes, here are the links (I believe you need to be a Weathermodels subscriber):

GFS 16.3 (experimental, newer): https://lab.weathermodels.com/models/gf ... _v16_3.php
GFS 16.2 (operational): https://lab.weathermodels.com/models/gfs/gfs.php

The experimental GFS 16.3 has generally been consistent past few runs on a tropical cyclone forming around Oct 30-31 (next weekend) in the southeast Caribbean and then tracking W/WNW at low latitude into the SW Caribbean. It delays formation by around a day vs. op GFS and has TC formation further west (closer to Bonaire and Curacao vs. Grenada and Isla Margatia), which is a key factor in favoring a more westward track than the op GFS. It also has a slightly stronger ridge over the W. Atlantic than the operational GFS early next week.

Parallel GFS (6Z Oct 23 run - valid 9 days)

Operational GFS ((6Z Oct 23 run - valid 9 days):
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2451 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:51 am

The 12Z GFS is through hour 252 with a 1002 mb low the weakest it has been in the Caribbean with this system since way back with the 0Z 10/21 run. It had had in nearly all of its runs since then (nine runs) hurricanes at that forecast time (as strong as 938 mb!). Even though I've been harping on the idea of a good chance for one more TC this season with significant land impacts based on the last nine La Niña seasons and 2/3 of La Niña seasons since 1964 having had one form either in late Oct or Nov, this GFS E Caribbean TCG has continued to look ghosty to me based on a general lack of support by other models in the E Caribbean, the GFS seeming to involve something coming off of SA in this genesis (which the GFS suite has been wrong on a good number of times this season), and the rarity of TCG in the e Caribbean vs C or W Caribbean. I'm still on the alert for one more potentially impactful system this season but don't think this E Caribbean GFS TC is the one as it appears bogus to me.

OTOH, a decent % of 0Z EPS members is hinting at TCG in the much more favored per climo W Caribbean near 10/31 to very early Nov as Gator mentioned. That is a much more believable possibility to me.

Edit: Despite the weaker start, the 12Z GFS run later goes ape shoot once again with this with a 952 mb H in the NE Caribbean on Nov 5th. I'm not believing it. It becomes a H on 11/4 vs 11/1 on the prior run. Yesterday's 18Z had a H by 11/2.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2452 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:14 pm

LarryWx wrote:The 12Z GFS is through hour 252 with a 1002 mb low the weakest it has been in the Caribbean with this system since way back with the 0Z 10/21 run. It had had in nearly all of its runs since then (nine runs) hurricanes at that forecast time (as strong as 938 mb!). Even though I've been harping on the idea of a good chance for one more TC this season with significant land impacts based on the last nine La Niña seasons and 2/3 of La Niña seasons having had one form either in late Oct or Nov, this GFS E Caribbean TCG has continued to look ghosty to me based on a general lack of support by other models in the E Caribbean, the GFS seeming to involve something coming off of SA in this genesis (which the GFS suite has been wrong on a good number of times this season), and the rarity of TCG in the e Caribbean vs C or W Caribbean. I'm still on the alert for one more potentially impactful system this season but don't think this E Caribbean GFS TC is the one as it appears bogus to me.

OTOH, a decent % of 0Z EPS members is hinting at TCG in the much more favored per climo W Caribbean near 10/31 to very early Nov as Gator mentioned. That is a much more believable possibility to me.

Edit: Despite the weaker start, the 12Z GFS run later goes ape shoot once again with this with a 952 mb H in the NE Caribbean on Nov 5th. I'm not believing it. It becomes a H on 11/4 vs 11/1 on the prior run.

Yeah, a storm like Omar and Lenny is not something I'm going on bet on happening. Not that it cannot, but a Cat 4 storm that takes an eastward path through the Caribbean isn't exactly common
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2453 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The 12Z GFS is through hour 252 with a 1002 mb low the weakest it has been in the Caribbean with this system since way back with the 0Z 10/21 run. It had had in nearly all of its runs since then (nine runs) hurricanes at that forecast time (as strong as 938 mb!). Even though I've been harping on the idea of a good chance for one more TC this season with significant land impacts based on the last nine La Niña seasons and 2/3 of La Niña seasons having had one form either in late Oct or Nov, this GFS E Caribbean TCG has continued to look ghosty to me based on a general lack of support by other models in the E Caribbean, the GFS seeming to involve something coming off of SA in this genesis (which the GFS suite has been wrong on a good number of times this season), and the rarity of TCG in the e Caribbean vs C or W Caribbean. I'm still on the alert for one more potentially impactful system this season but don't think this E Caribbean GFS TC is the one as it appears bogus to me.

Edit: Despite the weaker start, the 12Z GFS run later goes ape shoot once again with this with a 952 mb H in the NE Caribbean on Nov 5th. I'm not believing it. It becomes a H on 11/4 vs 11/1 on the prior run.

Yeah, a storm like Omar and Lenny is not something I'm going on bet on happening. Not that it cannot, but a Cat 4 storm that takes an eastward path through the Caribbean isn't exactly common

Indeed. And even Lenny formed in the climo more favored W Caribbean.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2454 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:19 pm

The 12Z Euro as well as the 12Z EPS, similarly to the 0Z that gator showed, are hinting at the possibility of TCG in the C or W Caribbean ~10/31-11/2 with ~25% of EPS members somewhat active fwiw. The Euro has light shear in the SW Caribbean then along with an upper high forming to the N in addition to a strengthening surface high to the NE increasing low level convergence. These all are suggestive of more favorable conditions for TCG in the W Caribbean in ~8-10 days.

Climo:
Oct 21-31:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/oct_21_31.png

Nov 1-10:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/nov_1_10.png
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#2455 Postby aspen » Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:57 pm

I’ve been watching that ECar system on the GFS for days. First it looked like a possible convective feedback phantom, but then the timeframe of 10/30-11/1 remained constant, and now the CMC and ICON show it too. The GFS and CMC are also showing a possible system north of the Greater Antilles late this week.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2456 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:42 pm

The 18Z GFS is even weaker than the 12Z at hour 246, making it the weakest by a good margin since the 0Z 10/21 run. But of course, it will likely get it a lot stronger from this point.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#2457 Postby MetroMike » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:24 pm

The 18Z GFS is showing wildly different solutions and directions in the longer term. This run has it going West at least, unlike wrong way Lenny tracks. Will see if it reverses course in the next run.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2458 Postby LarryWx » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:06 pm

MetroMike wrote:The 18Z GFS is showing wildly different solutions and directions in the longer term. This run has it going West at least, unlike wrong way Lenny tracks. Will see if it reverses course in the next run.

I still think the GFS is out to lunch with its climo unflavored E Caribbean geneses. The two recent runs being the weakest through late next week in the E Car are imho hinting to us that that is the case and that it will quite possibly stop showing E Car geneses within a few runs. OTOH, the 18Z GEFS is about as active with geneses in early November in the W Car as has been the case with any recent run. This is similar to the increased activity there on the two most recent EPS runs though the GEFS is quite a bit more active. Imho, it is the C or W Caribbean where we should be wary about a possible TCG next week rather than the E Car that the GFS has been insisting on.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2459 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:10 pm

Long-range GFS has a cluster in the Western Caribbean now which looks to be a shift more towards the GEPS and EPS:

2 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#2460 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:20 pm

LarryWx wrote:
I still think the GFS is out to lunch with its climo unflavored E Caribbean geneses. The two recent runs being the weakest through late next week in the E Car are imho hinting to us that that is the case and that it will quite possibly stop showing E Car geneses within a few runs. OTOH, the 18Z GEFS is about as active with geneses in early November in the W Car as has been the case with any recent run. This is similar to the increased activity there on the two most recent EPS runs though the GEFS is quite a bit more active. Imho, it is the C or W Caribbean where we should be wary about a possible TCG next week rather than the E Car that the GFS has been insisting on.

Do you think this is one of those moments of the GFS north/east "bias"?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”