2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3021 Postby skyline385 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:09 am

Teban54 wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Papin joining enhanced the wave-breaking theory for this season

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1561566433791787008?s=20&t=mgxjVDk3q1C7-QBsiMdIvg

The original tweet also mentions reduced shear forecast by models, which may suggest wavebreaking being less of a concern by end August.

Yea I don't really trust Bulk shear forecasts for ensemble mean into the future. They always converge towards less shear at any point in the year as the ensemble members start cancelling each other out. Here's an example of current forecasted shear compared to one predicted a few days ago.

0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3022 Postby NotSparta » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:18 am

skyline385 wrote:
Teban54 wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Papin joining enhanced the wave-breaking theory for this season

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1561566433791787008?s=20&t=mgxjVDk3q1C7-QBsiMdIvg

The original tweet also mentions reduced shear forecast by models, which may suggest wavebreaking being less of a concern by end August.

Yea I don't really trust Bulk shear forecasts for ensemble mean into the future. They always converge towards less shear at any point in the year as the ensemble members start cancelling each other out. Here's an example of current forecasted shear compared to one predicted a few days ago.

https://i.imgur.com/DfqMwmS.jpg

Looks pretty consistent to me
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3023 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:26 am

0 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3024 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:08 am

2022 Hurricane Season

Loading.... Loading.... Loading.... Loading.....

Sorry 2022 Hurricane Season not available.

Please try again later.
9 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3025 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:51 am

AtlanticWind wrote:2022 Hurricane Season

Loading.... Loading.... Loading.... Loading.....

Sorry 2022 Hurricane Season not available.

Please try again later.

More like:

2022 Northern Hemisphere cyclone season (WPAC, Atlantic, and EPAC)

Loading….Loading….Loading.

Sorry, an unknown error has occurred. Please try again later.
9 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3026 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:37 am

I still say wave breaking is one of those lazy terms for something not clearly understood. You can google atmospheric wave breaking and read some papers both old and new and make up your own mind. Maybe this is the tip of the iceberg to helping us better understand what makes for ideal tropical storm conditions, or maybe not.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3027 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:05 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3028 Postby SFLcane » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:08 am

0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3029 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:21 am

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3030 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:24 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#3031 Postby Patrick99 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am

I've been noticing something on the SAL loops for most of this season - it looks like the dry air has been oriented NE to SW most of the time, really drilling down into the ITCZ, killing waves and squashing their moisture feed into a thin line. In other seasons I seem to recall the dry air being oriented more E-W, just coming off the coast and floating above the tropical waves.

On the latest loop, it looks like that is starting to happen more.....dry air still there of course but starting to just slide off Africa east to west without as much of that north/south component. Maybe this will give the waves more of a chance.
1 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#3032 Postby kevin » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:47 am

Has there been any research towards the impact of the Hunga Tonga eruption earlier this year on TC formation globally? I know major eruptions such as Mount Pinatubo, Krakatoa, and Tambora cooled down temperatures globally by (fractions of) degrees. Their ash clouds also slowly dispersed through the atmosphere and all of this lead to volcanic winters such as 1816 'the year without a summer'. I wasn't able to find anything regarding its potential relationship with TC formation. Considering the Hunga Tonga eruption is, according to Wikipedia: "The eruption was the largest explosion recorded in the atmosphere by modern instrumentation, far larger than any 20th century volcanic event or nuclear bomb test. It is thought that in recent centuries, only the Krakatoa eruption of 1883 rivalled the atmospheric disturbance produced" I wondered whether it might have something to do with the inactivity in the Atlantic as well as slow activity in f.e. the WPAC.
0 likes   

JuracánBori
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3033 Postby JuracánBori » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:23 am

I would find 1988 hurricane season difficult of an analog for this year. That year had a relatively active August with 4 NS. We should see.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3034 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:02 am

kevin wrote:Has there been any research towards the impact of the Hunga Tonga eruption earlier this year on TC formation globally? I know major eruptions such as Mount Pinatubo, Krakatoa, and Tambora cooled down temperatures globally by (fractions of) degrees. Their ash clouds also slowly dispersed through the atmosphere and all of this lead to volcanic winters such as 1816 'the year without a summer'. I wasn't able to find anything regarding its potential relationship with TC formation. Considering the Hunga Tonga eruption is, according to Wikipedia: "The eruption was the largest explosion recorded in the atmosphere by modern instrumentation, far larger than any 20th century volcanic event or nuclear bomb test. It is thought that in recent centuries, only the Krakatoa eruption of 1883 rivalled the atmospheric disturbance produced" I wondered whether it might have something to do with the inactivity in the Atlantic as well as slow activity in f.e. the WPAC.

Just discussed a page back or so. HT put up a ton of moisture in the air, not so much ash or sulphur. Not sure how it effects things.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3035 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:52 am

Something I have to wonder is now that the WPAC seems to be waking up, I wonder if whatever factors were greatly suppressing that basin for the past weeks or so may be starting to let up a bit, and assuming such factors have any relation with what is happening in the Atlantic, if that means the Atlantic should experience a wake up soon as well.

At least this assumption rests on that very intriguing idea tolakram raised several posts back about whether it's actually a thing where the Atlantic may actually need the WPAC to be active to some extent in order to be active as well.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3036 Postby SteveM » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:56 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
At least this assumption rests on that very intriguing idea tolakram raised several posts back about whether it's actually a thing where the Atlantic may actually need the WPAC to be active to some extent in order to be active as well.

You just need to look back at the WPAC during the most busy ATL seasons to know that isn't the case.
2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3037 Postby skyline385 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:57 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:Something I have to wonder is now that the WPAC seems to be waking up, I wonder if whatever factors were greatly suppressing that basin for the past weeks or so may be starting to let up a bit, and assuming such factors have any relation with what is happening in the Atlantic, if that means the Atlantic should experience a wake up soon as well.

Said the same thing in the models thread earlier, I too think that the WPAC waking up might mean that activity resumes on the NATL too

skyline385 wrote:Kinda interesting how we have two systems in the WPAC now as well after weeks of inactive, maybe the switch will flip this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3038 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 pm

JuracánBori wrote:

I would find 1988 hurricane season difficult of an analog for this year. That year had a relatively active August with 4 NS. We should see.

The ACE for this time in 1988 was even lower than 2022. Most of those storms were very brief spin ups and it took until the very end of August to get a stronger system (and even then it did nearly of its main strengthening in September.

88 makes alot of sense at the moment. Above average bit not the hyperactive season that was previously forecasted.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3039 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:32 pm

KWT wrote:
JuracánBori wrote:

The ACE for this time in 1988 was even lower than 2022. Most of those storms were very brief spin ups and it took until the very end of August to get a stronger system (and even then it did nearly of its main strengthening in September.

88 makes alot of sense at the moment. Above average bit not the hyperactive season that was previously forecasted.

While it wasn't a hyperactive season, I am on the firm belief that 1988 could have easily been much more active and intense had it occurred during a warm AMO phase. Just by looking at the progression of the season (and especially considering how it was able to produce menances like Gilbert and Joan without difficulty), one would have to wonder if it could have snuck in like 2 or so more majors if it were to occur like in the present day. Much like years like 2008 or 2021, I view 1988 as a good example of a season that, had it have had a slightly different setup, would have easily attained hyperactive status.
6 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3040 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:13 pm

Also remember that it doesn’t have to be named storms that do the proverbial dirty work. We are in a MJO Phase 1/2 August pattern at the moment without any systems involved. 99l joined the frontal boundary and the SE US is in a +precip, -temperature pattern. Storms will surely come, but like I said, you don’t always need them to be the catalysts.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”