2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#3061 Postby supercane4867 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:52 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:This seasons quantity over quality is showing once again with Sally being heavily sheared in the Gulf. Of course there have been some quality storms such as Laura, Hanna, and Isaias that threatened land. Along with Paulette, and potentially future Teddy.

I guess a likely Cat 2(Sally ) hitting the U.S. is not "quality"
Dont really understand this post.

This season definitely has been quality over quantity in terms of CONUS landfalls. 130kt Laura made the third strongest CONUS landfall since Andrew.
5 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#3062 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:54 pm

supercane4867 wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:This seasons quantity over quality is showing once again with Sally being heavily sheared in the Gulf. Of course there have been some quality storms such as Laura, Hanna, and Isaias that threatened land. Along with Paulette, and potentially future Teddy.

This season definitely has been quality over quantity in terms of CONUS landfalls. 130kt Laura made the third strongest CONUS landfall since Andrew.

I'd even say it's quality AND quantity as Sally is about to be hurricane landfall #4 for the CONUS
8 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3063 Postby WeatherEmperor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm

I just have a bad, nasty feeling in my gut that its Florida's turn come October. No science to back me up but I just have that feeling. Its 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3064 Postby toad strangler » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:I just have a bad, nasty feeling in my gut that its Florida's turn come October. No science to back me up but I just have that feeling. Its 2020

Watch another October biggy hit the N Gulf again. THAT would be 2020ish. Let's hope not. But the N Gulf seems like the bullseye.
3 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#3065 Postby ClarCari » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm

At this rate of can you imagine if we have Hurricane ZETA or KAPPA or LAMBDA bomb out in the western gulf in October and dethrone Wilma, Patricia, and even Tip for most intense Tropical Cyclone ever. :lol:
I mean it’s definitely not impossible this year...
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3066 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:

Sally's peak intensity was gradually being lowered due to persistent shear at the time that post was made, I believe.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3067 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:19 pm

We managed to eek out a full advisory cycle with five active named storms at once as 18Z has Rene as a low.
14 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#3068 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm

You can add Mississippi and (or) Alabama to that list. That pretty much leaves Florida untouched.

https://twitter.com/sammyhadiwx/status/1305616527136378881

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3069 Postby toad strangler » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:You can add Mississippi and (or) Alabama to that list. That pretty much leaves Florida untouched.

Who cares. What an EPIC season and so much to go.
0 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#3070 Postby DestinHurricane » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:You can add Mississippi and (or) Alabama to that list. That pretty much leaves Florida untouched.

A high end cat 2 or major into Alabama would by no means leave FL "untouched". Remember Ivan?
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3071 Postby toad strangler » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm

DestinHurricane wrote:

A high end cat 2 or major into Alabama would by no means leave FL "untouched". Remember Ivan?

He's talking landfalls and WHO CARES. THis is a historic epic season unfolding and it's not nearly done yet.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3072 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm

I feel like Florida--the east coast in particular--has had too many close calls in recent years to end unscathed by the end of the season.
5 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#3073 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Hammy wrote:

I feel like Florida--the east coast in particular--has had too many close calls in recent years to end unscathed by the end of the season.

Oh I have a funny Florida, especially south Florida will get some love next month! :wink:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#3074 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 pm

toad strangler wrote:
DestinHurricane wrote:

He's talking landfalls and WHO CARES. THis is a historic epic season unfolding and it's not nearly done yet.

Yeah storms like Ivan looping back south and west off the Virginia coast are a once in a lifetime event. Besides this season has been historic with most coastal U.S. states affected by something, and we only have storm name left on the list and it’s only September 14th!
1 likes   

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

#3075 Postby Fancy1001 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Oh I have a funny Florida, especially south Florida will get some love next month! :wink:

I still have a category 5 hitting Tampa or Miami on my 2020 bingo card.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3076 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Hammy wrote:

There should be time enough for a farther north east coast threat or two as well. When i said there was no doubt there would be 2 more hits, and I'd consider a bet on 3 for the right price, it seemed like it could go even higher than that.
I feel like there's an easy shot to tie the record of US landfalls (9) and a decent chance we set a new record that will probably outlive most of us.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3077 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks to the timing of Paulette's ERC looks like we're not getting a major out of it, which makes this the first active season that we've gone the first half of September without one since 2000--another thing this year has in common with it.
0 likes   

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3078 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Who remembered in Julynand August the CFS been predicting a parade of MDR systems that miss land- scored.some points there...
Let's see what October brings which might be worrisome as the closer to home activity blossoms. However, my gut is telling me that the Cabo Verde Season might still be active the first half of October.
Also, La Nina and cool neutral years tend to give us late season Caribbean surprises. I hope that this crazy burst of activity doesn't continue into October because it will definitely be more impactful
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3079 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:51 am

Deshaunrob17 wrote:Who remembered in Julynand August the CFS been predicting a parade of MDR systems that miss land- scored.some points there...
Let's see what October brings which might be worrisome as the closer to home activity blossoms. However, my gut is telling me that the Cabo Verde Season might still be active the first half of October.
Also, La Nina and cool neutral years tend to give us late season Caribbean surprises. I hope that this crazy burst of activity doesn't continue into October because it will definitely be more impactful

CFS has been showing it extending into October--the last few runs have at least four MDR storms in the first half and has consistently lowered pressures in the western Caribbean as well most of October--a sign that it'll likely be active even if it's inconsistent in showing storms.

I remember even on the quieter CFS runs that would show up sporadically, the line of average sea level pressure was quite far to the north--indicative of the activity that would be present.
0 likes   

Loveweather12
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3080 Postby Loveweather12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am

He’s right, FL has to watch too. No time say FL is out of woods. Seasons not over.

toad strangler wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:I just have a bad, nasty feeling in my gut that its Florida's turn come October. No science to back me up but I just have that feeling. Its 2020

Watch another October biggy hit the N Gulf again. THAT would be 2020ish. Let's hope not. But the N Gulf seems like the bullseye.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”