2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3461 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:30 pm

The lack of activity should not have come as a surprise this year because when you look back at history 3rd year La Niñas coincide with weak Atlantic hurricane seasons . The question now is why? Does 3rd year La Niña contribute to extra warm sub tropics?Does it cause more activity in Epac?
0 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3462 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:23 pm

Deshaunrob17 wrote:The lack of activity should not have come as a surprise this year because when you look back at history 3rd year La Niñas coincide with weak Atlantic hurricane seasons . The question now is why? Does 3rd year La Niña contribute to extra warm sub tropics?Does it cause more activity in Epac?

All of the northern hemisphere basins are abnormally quiet right now. It's also not as simple as just a third year La Nina otherwise you wouldn't have had some of the best meteorologists and organizations forecasting an active season this year since we already knew this triple dip La Nina was coming. There's also not enough data to verify if a 3rd year La Nina is responsible since it's only happened 2 times before. I'm definitely not ruling out it being a potential part of it. We just can't say for certain yet if it is.
Last edited by TheDreamTraveler on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3463 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:27 pm

TheDreamTraveler wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:The lack of activity should not have come as a surprise this year because when you look back at history 3rd year La Niñas coincide with weak Atlantic hurricane seasons . The question now is why? Does 3rd year La Niña contribute to extra warm sub tropics?Does it cause more activity in Epac?

All of the northern hemisphere basins are abnormally quiet right now. It's also not as simple as just a third year La Nina otherwise you wouldn't have had some of the best meteorologists and organizations forecasting an active season this year since we already knew this triple dip La Nina was coming. There's also not enough data to verify if a 3rd year La Nina is responsible since it's only happened 2 times before. I'm definitely not ruling out it being a potential part of it. We just can't say for certain yet if it is

I'm personally very curious to see what happens later this year (like in December) when the Southern Hemisphere basins are supposed to wake up again. If nothing really happens there, then I'll be confident to think that this is not just an Atlantic issue but rather a worldwide issue.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#3464 Postby weeniepatrol » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:39 pm

:lol:

5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3465 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:52 pm

weeniepatrol wrote::lol:

https://i.imgur.com/kWeLtdA.png

If you just showed me that without context, I would have been quick to say that that screams hyperactive season :lol:
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3466 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:54 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

If you just showed me that without context, I would have been quick to say that that screams hyperactive season :lol:

What does that show? I can't see Imgur very well, I would like to see where that came from so I can see it myself.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#3467 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:06 pm

TheDreamTraveler wrote:

All of the northern hemisphere basins are abnormally quiet right now. It's also not as simple as just a third year La Nina otherwise you wouldn't have had some of the best meteorologists and organizations forecasting an active season this year since we already knew this triple dip La Nina was coming. There's also not enough data to verify if a 3rd year La Nina is responsible since it's only happened 2 times before. I'm definitely not ruling out it being a potential part of it. We just can't say for certain yet if it is.

1. I agree that it isn't that simple and that it usually is not as simple as one thing due to the complexity of the globe. And not all 3rd year LNs have been quiet.

2. There have been 8 third year cold ENSO seasons since the late 1800s: 2000, 1985, 1975, 1956, 1917, 1910, 1894, and 1874. Most have been quieter than the prior year, but even those weren't all quiet. Example: 1894 still had ACE of 135 even though it was way quieter than 1893's 231. 2000 was way quieter than 1999 but it still had an ACE of 119.

3. 1985 was actually one of the worst for the US on record despite ACE only 88. ACE can be deceiving.

4. I had never heard anyone say anything about 3rd year LN til just 1.5 months ago (Kingarabian the first??), when several members here said something about it possibly being a negative factor for activity. I had never seen any outside orgs saying anything about it. So, even IF it truly is a useful stat. significant indicator, it may have been an unknown factor to these mets and thus none of them would have known to comment on it in advance.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#3468 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:57 pm

If we take today's models at face value, there would be no TS to form through at least 9/20. With the current MDR SAL as widespread as anytime this season (it goes as far south as 9N!), it is believable that there'd be nothing new through 9/20. But nobody knows for sure as model consensus can be wrong.

When was the last time there were no TS+ 9/10-20? Answer: if we go by UTC it was 1966 barely. If going by AST, it was 1939 although 1952 was close.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#3469 Postby WiscoWx02 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:58 pm

One thing I can think of that might favor October countering my early points, is that the subtropics are going to start cooling down dramatically now that fall is on approach. This may lead to less competition between the deep tropics and subtropics. Looking at current SSTA's the Caribbean Sea is especially warmer than normal. Something to think about going forward, but the big question is will it be too little too late?
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3470 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:38 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:One thing I can think of that might favor October countering my early points, is that the subtropics are going to start cooling down dramatically now that fall is on approach. This may lead to less competition between the deep tropics and subtropics. Looking at current SSTA's the Caribbean Sea is especially warmer than normal. Something to think about going forward, but the big question is will it be too little too late?

I don’t think it will be too late. While many people seem to (and rightfully) associate August and September as the “big bad months,” time and time again, we’ve also seen October produce some very powerful and nasty systems. You can really thank the climatological shift to the W. Atlantic, where UOHC and ssts are among the highest in any given year, for that. Also I am curious to see how much Earl dents the subtropical warmth, because given its large size in particular, I’m wondering if even a temporary dent in those ridiculously warm subtropical waters would perhaps allow a pocket or so of favorable conditions to open in the tropics
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3471 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:55 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#3472 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:14 pm

LarryWx wrote:
TheDreamTraveler wrote:

1. I agree that it isn't that simple and that it usually is not as simple as one thing due to the complexity of the globe. And not all 3rd year LNs have been quiet.

2. There have been 8 third year cold ENSO seasons since the late 1800s: 2000, 1985, 1975, 1956, 1917, 1910, 1894, and 1874. Most have been quieter than the prior year, but even those weren't all quiet. Example: 1894 still had ACE of 135 even though it was way quieter than 1893's 231. 2000 was way quieter than 1999 but it still had an ACE of 119.

3. 1985 was actually one of the worst for the US on record despite ACE only 88. ACE can be deceiving.

4. I had never heard anyone say anything about 3rd year LN til just 1.5 months ago (Kingarabian the first??), when several members here said something about it possibly being a negative factor for activity. I had never seen any outside orgs saying anything about it. So, even IF it truly is a useful stat. significant indicator, it may have been an unknown factor to these mets and thus none of them would have known to comment on it in advance.

I had never heard anything about it either until recently too. I think it's people trying to look for a reason for why it's so inactive and just 'assuming' it's the triple dip La Nina that's the culprit without any actual data to back it up
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3473 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:52 pm

One thing's for sure: in future seasons, whether it's next year or 2024 or 2028, the term "wave-breaking", whenever used, will strike tremendous fear in those who want to track Cat 4 fish storm parades :D
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3474 Postby Hammy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:08 pm

TheDreamTraveler wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
TheDreamTraveler wrote:

I had never heard anything about it either until recently too. I think it's people trying to look for a reason for why it's so inactive and just 'assuming' it's the triple dip La Nina that's the culprit without any actual data to back it up

There was a fair amount of discussion in May and June about third year Ninas being less active than first and second, though somewhat anecdotal with a small sample size
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3475 Postby NotSparta » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:One thing's for sure: in future seasons, whether it's next year or 2024 or 2028, the term "wave-breaking", whenever used, will strike tremendous fear in those who want to track Cat 4 fish storm parades :D

Definitely not looking forward to it being brought up ad nauseam by people who don't know what it is lol
5 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

mixedDanilo.E
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3476 Postby mixedDanilo.E » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:51 pm

Suck a shame it ain’t being used for storms cuz we got a hell lot of energy out there…
0 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#3477 Postby storminabox » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:18 am

A fascinating season fellas
1 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#3478 Postby storminabox » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:19 am

Kinda think it’s volcano induced wave breaking that’s causing the inactive season but could be a coincidence
0 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#3479 Postby storminabox » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:21 am

It’s good to have these surprising. Keeps us humble
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#3480 Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:36 am

It is peak season but maybe not for Texas, August has had more land falling storms there.
And the GFS spent weeks this season trying to develop a Caribbean low latitude runner before finally giving up.
October is sometimes a bad month for Florida and the eastern gulf.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”