2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#661 Postby storminabox » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Pretty steep drop:

What’s causing this?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#662 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:20 pm

storminabox wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/E6Bhsqc.png

What’s causing this?

The persistent +NAO of the past 3-4 months. There have been dips negative but they have been brief and not sustaining. Also the cold waters below the surface are deep. When the MJO is favorable there also tends to be periods of warming but that is shorter periods than seasonal scale.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#663 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm

storminabox wrote:

What’s causing this?

A speeding up of trades due to the MJO going into an even more unfavorable position for warming (along w/ CCKW influence), and a surge of below avg PWATs causing more evaporative cooling.
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#664 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Ntxw wrote:
storminabox wrote:

What’s causing this?

The persistent +NAO of the past 3-4 months. There have been dips negative but they have been brief and not sustaining. Also the cold waters below the surface are deep. When the MJO is favorable there also tends to be periods of warming but that is shorter periods than seasonal scale.

Here is a closer look at the NAO for the past few months showing a lot of positive as you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#665 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am

The 0zGFS show something trying to form in the Bahamas in the long range, most likely a phantom but does coincide with the upcoming CCKW moving into the Atlantic and I wouldn’t be surprised if something maybe even substantial forms between August 10th and 20th
0 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#666 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 am

Ntxw wrote:
storminabox wrote:

What’s causing this?

The +NAO's correlation to MDR SSTAs degrades significantly during the summer because the wavelengths change dramatically, you can easily have a +NAO in the summer that still favors warming. The nearly 1C cooling in just the past few days seems strange considering that the trade winds only increased slightly (~0.5 m/s) and SAL isn't that extensive. Evaporative cooling from dry air is only real effective when you have preexisting convective downdrafts to mix that cooler air to the surface and there's hardly any convection to do that in the MDR and even then convection comprises a very small fraction of the total area of the MDR.
3 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#667 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 am

Eric Webb wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
storminabox wrote:
What’s causing this?

The +NAO's correlation to MDR SSTAs degrades significantly during the summer because the wavelengths change dramatically, you can easily have a +NAO in the summer that still favors warming. The nearly 1C cooling in just the past few days seems strange considering that the trade winds only increased slightly (~0.5 m/s) and SAL isn't that extensive. Evaporative cooling from dry air is only real effective when you have preexisting convective downdrafts to mix that cooler air to the surface and there's hardly any convection to do that in the MDR and even then convection comprises a very small fraction of the total area of the MDR.

Right. But it (NAO) is one part of a much larger picture. The Arctic-Far North Atlantic region has been under the influence of a persistent reverse dipole all summer, the strongest since 2013-2014. I would be surprised if that had no long term effects of spatial SSTs in the North Atlantic basin. When not getting help from the MJO, my assumption would be things revert back to the seasonal signal.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#668 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:45 am

Ntxw wrote:
Eric Webb wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Right. But it (NAO) is one part of a much larger picture. The Arctic-Far North Atlantic region has been under the influence of a persistent reverse dipole all summer, the strongest since 2013-2014. I would be surprised if that had no long term effects of spatial SSTs in the North Atlantic basin. When not getting help from the MJO, my assumption would be things revert back to the seasonal signal.

I think this unusually rapid cooling of the SSTs may indicate that the subsurface in the tropical Atlantic has cooled significantly vs. 2017 and is likely the coldest since the last -AMO prior to 1995. Combined with the extremely cold subsurface in the far North Atlantic, the recent cooling in the MDR may indicate that the surface is increasingly sensitive to even the slightest external influence, owing to the very cold waters lurking in the thermocline. Therefore, I would venture to say that we may be seeing an indication that the +AMO since 1995 has officially ended, and we are entering into a very strong -AMO cycle. Arguably, the -AMO trend really took off in 2013, but there were already signs of a slowing AMOC (weakening THC) since the 1970s, and the Atlantic started to look more unfavourable, generally speaking, after 2005. Since much of the cooling in the tropical Atlantic is related to the cold far North Atlantic (North Atlantic Deep Water or NADW), which in turn is attributable to increased freshwater from Greenland due to climate change, it is possible that a warming global climate may have set in motion changes that nearly singlehandedly ended the +AMO of 1995-2012. Certainly, this +AMO appears to have been shorter-lived than any of the previous known ones. Honestly, I cannot recall such a cold tropical Atlantic in my lifetime, except prior to 1995. 2017 looks more and more like a blip in an otherwise clearly unfavourable trend for active Atlantic hurricane seasons.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#669 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 am

A strong Kelvin wave is passing the tropical Atlantic, likely to give the West African Monsoon a boost in the coming days.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1022099833300180994

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#670 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 am

Ntxw wrote:
Eric Webb wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

I did not say nor imply that the behavior of the NAO in the summer has no effect on SST in the North Atlantic basin but you can't just assume the same pattern/forcing in the winter that favors cooling in the MDR will lead to the same result in the summer, that's a terrible assumption because the wavelengths are really short at this time of the year.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#671 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 am

:uarrow: We are not discussing the winter pattern, my reference was to the past 3-4 months as a possible reason to the previous poster's question. If that is not correct in your views then by all means present them as to their question.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

BigAndBendy
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#672 Postby BigAndBendy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:20 am

Can’t help but feel like this steep of a cooling event is the result of many factors, some of which aren’t even currently known / understood.
0 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#673 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 am

Ntxw wrote::uarrow: We are not discussing the winter pattern, my reference was to the past 3-4 months as a possible reason to the previous poster's question. If that is not correct in your views then by all means present them as to their question.

It's blatantly obvious we're not discussing the winter pattern but you gave the +NAO as a reason to the recent MDR cooling because you made the invalid assumption that the +NAO in both summer and winter cools the MDR and that's simply not true.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#674 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:29 am

Eric Webb wrote:
Ntxw wrote::uarrow: We are not discussing the winter pattern, my reference was to the past 3-4 months as a possible reason to the previous poster's question. If that is not correct in your views then by all means present them as to their question.

It's blatantly obvious we're not discussing the winter pattern but you gave the +NAO as a reason to the recent MDR cooling because you made the invalid assumption that the +NAO in both summer and winter cools the MDR and that's simply not true.

Like I said, if that is not correct, then present your thoughts to the poster and we can discuss it. No need to get worked up here.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#675 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am

Ntxw wrote:
Eric Webb wrote:

Like I said, if that is not correct, then present your thoughts to the poster and we can discuss it. No need to get worked up here.

The poster is wholly capable of reading my responses to you and any other exchanges on this forum. Here's the actual z500 correlation plots for both July and January so you can see how messy things become in the summer w/ a stronger than normal Icelandic vortex in July favoring warming yet a more significant blocking ridge is present over Iceland in January and leads to the same result.

July z500 AMO correlation

January z500 AMO correlation
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#676 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am

That'll bring me to the same question as the prior poster. What is causing then of the recent drop? Perhaps erroneous satellite data?
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#677 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:55 am

Ntxw wrote:That'll bring me to the same question as the prior poster. What is causing then of the recent drop? Perhaps erroneous satellite data?

It's possible there's some error in data assimilation or noisy satellite data (data assimilation is in the CDAS acronym after all), I just have a hard time believing the MDR could have cooled almost 1C with near average trades and relatively more modest SAL in just a matter of a few days, the cumulative effect of stronger trades in July, a cold subsurface, and some SAL when the MDR is already cold certainly doesn't help and could explain some of this drop but it's so extreme in such a short period of time I'm personally skeptical it's actually real.

4 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#678 Postby NotSparta » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:03 am

Eric Webb wrote:
Ntxw wrote:That'll bring me to the same question as the prior poster. What is causing then of the recent drop? Perhaps erroneous satellite data?

It's possible there's some error in data assimilation or noisy satellite data (data assimilation is in the CDAS acronym after all), I just have a hard time believing the MDR could have cooled almost 1C with near average trades and relatively more modest SAL in just a matter of a few days, the cumulative effect of stronger trades in July, a cold subsurface, and some SAL when the MDR is already cold certainly doesn't help and could explain some of this drop but it's so extreme in such a short period of time I'm personally skeptical it's actually real.

[img]https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/mdrssta.png[img]

[img]http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/u.anom.30.10N-20N.gif[img]

I'm seeing a lot of artifacts in the data, that would push down the index a lot erroneously

3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#679 Postby Eric Webb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:07 am

You can get the hint that the 3 sigma CCKW passing over the Atlantic has reached west Africa.

On a somewhat related note, I really like this vertical cross section forecast plot from wxnerds. You can see the CCKW influence helping to moisten the MDR for the first few days of the forecast period then a subsequent dry period once it passes and then moistening near the level of the AEJ (~600-700 hPa) as AEWs triggered by the CCKW propagate into the Atlantic the following week.

4 likes   

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#680 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:44 am

Eric Webb wrote:You can get the hint that the 3 sigma CCKW passing over the Atlantic has reached west Africa.

Wow is that top image accurate or something wrong with the satellite? I don't know that I've ever seen that much convection over Africa like that lol.
1 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”