Western Caribbean Area of Interest: (Is INVEST 90L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: SW Caribbean Area of Interest

#81 Postby Alyono » Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:MUCH weaker so far. Not even a closed low any longer on the GFS

Canadian still has the EPAC TC with now only a disorganized low that is too weak to be classified in the Gulf

12Z models coming in weaker. Even ICON was slightly weaker

The GFS was likely overdoing it (as usual) and is now playing catchup. Wouldn't be surprised if in the end this doesn't even get classified a TC.

the most likely scenario has always been no TC out of this. More likely, either moisture or an extratropical low

Maybe a 1 in 4 chance of a TC or STC at this time
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 am

TD/weak-TS mostly likely outcome, IMO. Windshear and land interaction will keep it down; however rain will be a huge issue for FL as it has been a deluge the last few weeks.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Bocadude85 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:56 am

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:TD/weak-TS mostly likely outcome, IMO. Windshear and land interaction will keep it down; however rain will be a huge issue for FL as it has been a deluge the last few weeks.

Flooding and a severe weather threat are what these early season tropical disturbances usually bring with them. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 35kt TS out of this.
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby Patrick99 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:00 pm

gatorcane wrote:
AJC3 wrote:
HURRICANELONNY wrote:Climo says west. I've seen this a 100 times. By the time we get within 96 hrs. Whatever forms. Models will trend west. Just my opinion of what models trend as we get closer in hours. :roll:

Keep in mind that there isn't a whole lot of May 21-31 genesis climo to go by here - only five systems of at least TS strength are known to have formed in the WCARIB and SE GOMEX (between 13-23N and 80-88W) during that 10 day period since 1851. So most (if not all) of your '100 times' fell much later in the season, when climatological tracks do go farther west.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/images/may_21_31.png

The models are definitely detecting some kind of pattern that would turn the system NNE or NE once in the NW Caribbean. For example, the latest 06Z GEFS animation from hours 78 to 192 shows this well, but, we are still far enough out that I agree they can shift back into the Gulf:

If I didn't know any better, looking at that setup and track, I would think we were in mid-October/November.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby gatorcane » Fri May 18, 2018 12:28 pm

12Z GFS ensemble mean has a bullseye over South Florida at 156 hours. Whatever comes of this, looks like the potential for some more significant rainfall on already saturated grounds across Florida, not to mention potentially dampening Memorial Day Weekend plans.

1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby SFLcane » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Alyono wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:MUCH weaker so far. Not even a closed low any longer on the GFS

Canadian still has the EPAC TC with now only a disorganized low that is too weak to be classified in the Gulf

12Z models coming in weaker. Even ICON was slightly weaker

The GFS was likely overdoing it (as usual) and is now playing catchup. Wouldn't be surprised if in the end this doesn't even get classified a TC.

the most likely scenario has always been no TC out of this. More likely, either moisture or an extratropical low

Why cause one cycle coming in weak? Things could change on 18z. We in Florida don’t need a named storm for problems with heavy rainfall. Still waiting on the euro
0 likes   

PSUHiker31
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#87 Postby PSUHiker31 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that last year the GFS would frequently latch onto something in the extended medium range and long range only to drop it in the majority of the medium range until 48-72 hours prior to development. Especially in situations like this.

It's best to stick to the consistency of the Euro.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#88 Postby Alyono » Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Alyono wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The GFS was likely overdoing it (as usual) and is now playing catchup. Wouldn't be surprised if in the end this doesn't even get classified a TC.

Why cause one cycle coming in weak? Things could change on 18z. We in Florida don’t need a named storm for problems with heavy rainfall. Still waiting on the euro

that's all I ever gave this system is developing
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 pm

I would not be surprised if we see a poorly organized system that gets a name anyway. Usually these gyre systems have TS winds even if they are very poorly organized.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

I have yet to be in the likely to develop camp nor in the hurricane camp (both based on climo), but I did go into the "increasing threat of a TS to FL" camp yesterday when I noted the near unanimous ageement of the models for a tropical low to form in the NW Caribbean near day 7 (5/24). If anything, today that TS threat has fallen back some but there still is a low (more than minute) chance imo. I'm near 5% for a FL TS hit currently. Weak model progs along with climo and knowing that the Gulf has recently not been all that warm are keeping it down as there's a much greater chance that there will either be something weaker than TS, maybe even nothing organized, or maybe even a miss of FL.

Climo to keep in mind: There have been only 5 TS and no H on record to form in the W. Car. or GOM during 5/21-31 since 1851. So, that's only 5 in 167 years or 1 in 33 chance/3% of there even being a genesis. Only 1 of those 5 hit FL. So, only 1 in 167 years had a FL TS hit or well under 1%. So, even going with a 5% chance of a FL hit in 2018 in deference to the model consensus of a threat of something is WAY, WAY above the longterm climo based chance.

The 5 W Car/GOM 5/21-31 geneses on record since 1851:

- 5/30/2008
- 5/28/1959: hit LA at 40 knots
- 5/25/1953: hit FL at 40 knots
- 5/27/1890
- 5/29/1865
Last edited by LarryWx on Fri May 18, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#91 Postby Dylan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm

So storm cancel?

Y’all are funny. We all know that the models have a terrible time handling tropical cyclones before they even develop, especially when its of this type of genesis (CAG). The GFS and it’s ensembles are still all over it, along with the latest European. It would be ridiculous to expect anything more than a disorganized tropical storm. I wouldn’t put too much stock on one model run with a storm that might exist in a week from now. My thoughts from yesterday remain the same.
Last edited by Dylan on Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Bocadude85 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm

12z Euro has a decent TS going into the Eastern Florida panhandle
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby Florida1118 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Euro at 216:

0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Be careful even with the Euro as it, too, has had a history of being too strong at times once it has a TC genesis, especially north of 25N. Even going from 1004 mb at hour 192 to 997 mb near Apalachicola a day later with cool GOM there looks questionable to me for May 27th though I fully realize it probably is already weakening then from an even lower modeled SLP between hour 192 and hour 216.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#95 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 pm

There seems to be a general consensus on this among the main models in terms of something forming regardless of in what form of intensity it will turn out to be and what track it takes. However,there is still some days ahead for all of this to change.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby stormlover2013 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

yeah still over a week away
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby LarryWx » Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:yeah still over a week away

That's the key. We're still talking about something that is about 8-9 days out even if it something, and moreover, this would be in late May, when only 1 in 167 years has had a FL TS hit from the NW Caribbean or Gulf. Assuming that one knows 167 years of late May climo, to go any higher than, say, a 10% chance for a FL TS hit as of now would be crazy imo. I'm sticking to a 5% chance, which itself is 8 times the longterm climo based chance of 0.6%.

If, say, there were already a TC in the W Caribbean and if, say, the models were unanimously showing a TS hit on FL in 3 days, I might then go with a FL TS hit being likely despite only 1 in 167 years having had that kind of hit. But right now with it being modeled ~8 days out and still nothing close to a TC yet, no way I'd go anywhere close to likely!
1 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby ronjon » Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 pm

LarryWx wrote:I have yet to be in the likely to develop camp nor in the hurricane camp (both based on climo), but I did go into the "increasing threat of a TS to FL" camp yesterday when I noted the near unanimous ageement of the models for a tropical low to form in the NW Caribbean near day 7 (5/24). If anything, today that TS threat has fallen back some but there still is a low (more than minute) chance imo. I'm near 5% for a FL TS hit currently. Weak model progs along with climo and knowing that the Gulf has recently not been all that warm are keeping it down as there's a much greater chance that there will either be something weaker than TS, maybe even nothing organized, or maybe even a miss of FL.

Climo to keep in mind: There have been only 5 TS and no H on record to form in the W. Car. or GOM during 5/21-31 since 1851. So, that's only 5 in 167 years or 1 in 33 chance/3% of there even being a genesis. Only 1 of those 5 hit FL. So, only 1 in 167 years had a FL TS hit or well under 1%. So, even going with a 5% chance of a FL hit in 2018 in deference to the model consensus of a threat of something is WAY, WAY above the longterm climo based chance.

The 5 W Car/GOM 5/21-31 geneses on record since 1851:

- 5/30/2008
- 5/28/1959: hit LA at 40 knots
- 5/25/1953: hit FL at 40 knots
- 5/27/1890
- 5/29/1865

They're rare Larry no doubt but I think with this much model support - pretty much every major global model (GFS, FV-3 GFS, GEM, ECM, NAVGEM. and ICON) are on-board with low pressure development. So these globals are sniffing out an environment conducive for development. To me with this much model support in 5-7 days, something will develop and become either a TD or TS. i think Hurricane unlikely given the time of year. Track uncertain but somewhere in the SE GOM in 5-6 days and then from therefter too far away to know.
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 pm

LarryWx wrote:
stormlover2013 wrote:yeah still over a week away

That's the key. We're still talking about something that is about 8-9 days out even if it something, and moreover, this would be in late May, when only 1 in 167 years has had a FL TS hit from the NW Caribbean or Gulf. Assuming that one knows 167 years of late May climo, to go any higher than, say, a 10% chance for a FL TS hit as of now would be crazy imo. I'm sticking to a 5% chance, which itself is 8 times the longterm climo based chance of 0.6%.

If, say, there were already a TC in the W Caribbean and if, say, the models were unanimously showing a TS hit on FL in 3 days, I might then go with a FL TS hit being likely despite only 1 in 167 years having had that kind of hit. But right now with it being modeled ~8 days out and still nothing close to a TC yet, no way I'd go anywhere close to likely!

Early June has had plenty of Florida TS hits though. A few days will not make a huge difference. But I agree that it is still a bit out but it looks very likely that at least some sort of low will form.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby gatorcane » Fri May 18, 2018 2:59 pm

EPS mean shifts west to Central GOM.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”