Tropical Wave in East Atlantic (Is Invest 97L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Tropical Wave in East Atlantic (Pouch 43L)

#901 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:09 pm

A strengthening storm in the graveyard? Does that really sound reasonable? Anything can happen, but I wonder if development will be delayed until the western Caribbean.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#902 Postby pgoss11 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Looks like like it will pass to the north of the ABC islands.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#903 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

tolakram wrote:A strengthening storm in the graveyard? Does that really sound reasonable? Anything can happen, but I wonder if development will be delayed until the western Caribbean.

A storm can strengthen in the graveyard, so long as it establishes itself before it reaches the Islands as a self sustaining tropical cyclone with a closed LLC. See Felix and Dean in 2007.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#904 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Seems the GFS is trending weaker each run and is also further south each run.

0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#905 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:14 pm

it's moving much faster this run. May be why its struggling a bit
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#906 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

tolakram wrote:A strengthening storm in the graveyard? Does that really sound reasonable? Anything can happen, but I wonder if development will be delayed until the western Caribbean.

The graveyard is a John Hope Myth that should not be followed. The environment is favorable; thus, it should intensify
1 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#907 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:Seems the GFS is trending weaker each run and is also further south each run.

Not surprising. Looks like a "meet me in the middle" scenario with the ECMWF reluctantly admitting that development will happen, and the GFS reluctantly admitting this probably won't be a hurricane by the time it reaches the Caribbean.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#908 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Definitely trending towards the Euro with the MLC over the east coast and possibly a more northerly steering current in the Western Caribbean

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#909 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:Seems the GFS is trending weaker each run and is also further south each run.

Not surprising. Looks like a "meet me in the middle" scenario with the ECMWF reluctantly admitting that development will happen, and the GFS reluctantly admitting this probably won't be a hurricane by the time it reaches the Caribbean.

Yeah but a few more trends south and this is in South America. Plenty of time to watch.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#910 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:17 pm

This MU is about exactly what I forecast a few hours ago, though I suspect it is going to rapidly intensify
2 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#911 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Alyono wrote:This MU is about exactly what I forecast a few hours ago, though I suspect it is going to rapidly intensify

100 percent agree conditions look good and the water is very warm. Looks to be meeting in the middle with the ECMWF.
1 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#912 Postby Blown Away » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:21 pm

150 Hours, strengthening and moving WNW... Probably Cat 2
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#913 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:22 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Definitely trending towards the Euro with the MLC over the east coast and possibly a more northerly steering current in the Western Caribbean

The euro just now has a storm down there, I don't think it's even trending with itself yet. :)

My point about the graveyard is that if it does not develop prior to the windwards I really don't think it will until the western Caribbean. In order to develop way down there, in the ritzy section where the tombstones are really big :lol: , one would have to believe that the upper air environment is near perfect and dry air coming off the coast of SA won't be an issue. This amateur finds that darn hard to believe. :) If it does develop prior to the windwards then, as pointed out above, it doesn't really matter.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#914 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:25 pm

tolakram wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:Definitely trending towards the Euro with the MLC over the east coast and possibly a more northerly steering current in the Western Caribbean

The euro just now has a storm down there, I don't think it's even trending with itself yet. :)

My point about the graveyard is that if it does not develop prior to the windwards I really don't think it will until the western Caribbean. In order to develop way down there, in the ritzy section where the tombstones are really big :lol: , one would have to believe that the upper air environment is near perfect and dry air coming off the coast of SA won't be an issue. This amateur finds that darn hard to believe. :) If it does develop prior to the windwards then, as pointed out above, it doesn't really matter.

Since 2001, we have had something like 10 storms that have formed in the eastern Caribbean. Even 2013 had one. The eastern Caribbean is usually only unfavorable during major SAL outbreaks as the SAL surge at 700mb gets enhanced there
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#915 Postby USTropics » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:26 pm

The models had been forecasting two vorticities leaving the coast days ago (the CMC even developed both for a while), the first vorticity is now P43L.

One thing we'll have to monitor is the possibility of two vorticities emerging off the coast (one to the far south, and one around 15N in association with the monsoonal trough).

1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#916 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:30 pm

18Z GFS faster and heading NW at 186 hours. Heading for weakness over Florida and Gulf
Last edited by gatorcane on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#917 Postby USTropics » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Yea this is almost a day faster, brushes up against Jamaica at 192 hours (a week from tomorrow):

Last edited by USTropics on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#918 Postby Blown Away » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:31 pm

192 Hours... Direct hit on Jamaica... Cat 3/4
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#919 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:33 pm

1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#920 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:33 pm

gatorcane wrote:Image

that screams central Cuba to Florida

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”