ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#9001 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:44 pm

StruThiO wrote:One things for sure, with la nina still managing to drop (as it went down to -0.8 this week), there really is barely any time at all for ENSO to be significantly detrimental to the upcoming hurricane season. I hope things change fast because I don't want an active season after last year. Question: I know Nino 1+2 is subject to more dramatic and quick fluctuations in temperature, but when it's sharply negative like it is currently (per tropicaltidbits) would that "slow" el Nino in any way? Thanks.

2009 El Nino was a late bloomer where it didn't take off until late May-June.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9002 Postby NotSparta » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 pm

StruThiO wrote:One things for sure, with la nina still managing to drop (as it went down to -0.8 this week), there really is barely any time at all for ENSO to be significantly detrimental to the upcoming hurricane season. I hope things change fast because I don't want an active season after last year. Question: I know Nino 1+2 is subject to more dramatic and quick fluctuations in temperature, but when it's sharply negative like it is currently (per tropicaltidbits) would that "slow" el Nino in any way? Thanks.

Niño 1+2 probably flucuates the most out of the regions, due to its small size. At the end of February it was at +1°C compared to average
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9003 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

The WWB is not without fanfare. Of course, Jelawat. First of its kind in the NHEM. Perhaps a Typhoon down the road

The first typhoon in 2017 was in late July.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#9004 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Hey guys. What do we need to see happen for some type of niño this winter? And how likely is that to occur? I know its early, but niñas aren't too nice to us, especially during winter.
1 likes   

Digital-TC-Chaser

#9005 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 am

5 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9006 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am

Jelawat has pushed Cat 4 and is a Super Typhoon trying for Cat 5. Is this a precursor as some other pre El Nino years have been with rising Pacific motion? 2015 had Higos and Maysak in Feb/March. 1997 had Isa in April. In May 2009 Kujira was around when the Nino started going off. Of course there are years that don't. No doubt the STY is enveloped in a potent WWB in the west.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9007 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 am

As you can also see the trades have significantly weakened below normal in the eastern Nino regions (Nino 3 and 1+2 being effected). SSTs anoms should rapidly reverse in the coming days.

You can see the change occuring near 90W

2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#9008 Postby StruThiO » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:13 am

https://twitter.com/wxjerdman/status/979652403153731584

We all know what 2015 was. Looking at CPC's ONI data, 2002 was a moderate el nino year, 1988 a strong la nina year, and 1972 a strong el nino year. Interesting!
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9009 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:01 am

It doesn't hurt that the MJO is amplifying most when in the Pacific or near Pacific phases. Could be a sign rising motion is favored there. :uarrow: This is a common theme in all of those typhoons early in the year. 1988 diverged in that March went into the very strong Nina phases (Maritime continent) coming off an El Nino. That's not happening this go round.

So far in 2018

4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#9010 Postby euro6208 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Ntxw wrote:Jelawat has pushed Cat 4 and is a Super Typhoon trying for Cat 5. Is this a precursor as some other pre El Nino years have been with rising Pacific motion? 2015 had Higos and Maysak in Feb/March. 1997 had Isa in April. In May 2009 Kujira was around when the Nino started going off. Of course there are years that don't. No doubt the STY is enveloped in a potent WWB in the west.

What about Cat 5 Mitag in March 2002?
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9011 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:40 pm

euro6208 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Jelawat has pushed Cat 4 and is a Super Typhoon trying for Cat 5. Is this a precursor as some other pre El Nino years have been with rising Pacific motion? 2015 had Higos and Maysak in Feb/March. 1997 had Isa in April. In May 2009 Kujira was around when the Nino started going off. Of course there are years that don't. No doubt the STY is enveloped in a potent WWB in the west.

What about Cat 5 Mitag in March 2002?

That one too and 2004 Sudal. Needless to say there is some correlation to strong early Typhoons to bigger typhoon seasons and some linkage to +ENSO, just as there is some correlation to late starting typhoon seasons and -ENSO
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9012 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

The -1C contour that was dominating since winter and early spring has disappeared this week.

2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9013 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:45 pm

The sub-surface pool is still a strong and large one, that continues to expand, but looks to my have weakened in the past week. Hard to tell using just the buoys though:

1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9014 Postby NotSparta » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Kingarabian wrote:The sub-surface pool is still a strong and large one, that continues to expand, but looks to my have weakened in the past week. Hard to tell using just the buoys though:

The La Niña has suddenly weakened, in the eastern areas, so the warm pool doesn't need to be as strong to flip things
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#9015 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:11 pm

The build-up of equatorial heat content looks rather unstoppable to me. The trend indicates that the depth of the warmth is increasing to the west of the dateline, despite fluctuations farther to the east. The next significant, MJO-modulated WWB, combined with the effects of Typhoon Jelawat, will further enhance warmth to the west of the dateline, and also cause warm anomalies to propagate eastward. NINO 1 and 2 have already warmed rapidly in a matter of days, with negative anomalies going strongly positive in just two or three days. At this rate, given the factors mentioned, El Niño can be easily attained by the peak of hurricane season. At least that's my opinion.
4 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#9016 Postby StruThiO » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:15 am

:uarrow:

In case anyone needs a visual of how quickly its heating up over there.
3 likes   

Digital-TC-Chaser

#9017 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:57 am

Cool tongue is all the way to 180. Water off Peru is v/cool got me wondering if we may
see that cold upwelled water cross the eq.
1 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#9018 Postby StruThiO » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 am

Still long range but maybe WWB ending soon.

Also SOI for March is 8.42.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9019 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 pm

StruThiO wrote:[img]https://i.imgur.com/7rMeB7r.png[img]

Still long range but maybe WWB ending soon.

Also SOI for March is 8.42.

Looks like weak trades for the first week of April over the Nino regions.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9020 Postby Alyono » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:58 pm

seeing something else interesting. westerly wind anomalies near the islands of the eastern Caribbean. Could be a situation setting up of cooler than normal waters by Africa but warmer than normal near the islands. Something also to consider for Atlantic season, in addition to the ENSO
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”