Reminder about posting images - No hotlinking

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Reminder about posting images - No hotlinking

#1 Postby southerngale » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 am

Please upload images before posting them. If a member posts a satellite image or a model map, using the original link, then that image will eventually change and we'll have a disparity between the comments and the image. It's nice to be able to read a post a few hours, days, or weeks after it was posted and to be able to see the image that's being discussed.

We've asked this numerous times, but many people still hotlink images. This is highly discouraged.

Right click on the image and save it to your computer. Then upload it wherever you choose.
I like this site and you don't have to register, but you can use another one if you prefer.
http://tinypic.com/

A few more:
http://www.imagehosting.com/
http://www.imageshack.us/
http://imgur.com/

Also, we have ImageShack built in when you click on Reply. Just save the image, click on Browse when replying, find the image, and click on Host it. Voila!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Reminder about posting images - No hotlinking

#2 Postby tolakram » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 pm

*bump*

Seasonal reminder, do not directly imbed images from other sites using the IMG tags as this can create traffic issues on those sites. Copy to a dedicated image hosting service first or simply post the link to the image so those interested can view it.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am

Reminder, since this issue is creeping up again. Thanks.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

jaguarjace
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby jaguarjace » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:42 am

I highly recommend http://imgur.com/.
Images hosted on Tinypic and ImageShack may not be permanent.

For those who use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as their default web browser, install:
Imgur Uploader Extention for Google Chrome or
Imgur Uploader Extention for Mozilla Firefox
which will add an Upload to Imgur option on the right-click context menu.
0 likes   
Owner of the Tropical Archive YouTube channel
Web Developer at Force Thirteen
Twitter/X : @force13_support

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby abajan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:02 pm

As things are relatively quiet in the Atlantic, I thought I would go down memory lane and browse the discussion thread about Tomas (whose winds were the most intense I've ever experienced) and was somewhat disappointed to discover that practically all of the images were hotlinked, showing placid conditions where at the time it was anything but!

Come on, guys. Quit the hotlinking.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby CajunMama » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:49 pm

abajan wrote:As things are relatively quiet in the Atlantic, I thought I would go down memory lane and browse the discussion thread about Tomas (whose winds were the most intense I've ever experienced) and was somewhat disappointed to discover that practically all of the images were hotlinked, showing placid conditions where at the time it was anything but!

In all fairness abajan, the Tomas thread is from 2010 and this thread requesting members not to hotlink is from 2011.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby abajan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:32 am

CajunMama wrote:
abajan wrote:As things are relatively quiet in the Atlantic, I thought I would go down memory lane and browse the discussion thread about Tomas (whose winds were the most intense I've ever experienced) and was somewhat disappointed to discover that practically all of the images were hotlinked, showing placid conditions where at the time it was anything but!

In all fairness abajan, the Tomas thread is from 2010 and this thread requesting members not to hotlink is from 2011.

Very true. Good catch! :lol:
More members seem to be following the rule now anyway (I think).
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8 Postby RL3AO » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 am

dixiebreeze wrote:Was my post "hotlinking?" How else can one post an image.

You can upload it to an image hosting website like Imgur, PhotoBucket, TinyPic, or even Google Photos.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:47 am

bump,

reminder.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby AJC3 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:36 am

Bumped yet again, as a reminder...
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby toad strangler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:43 am

Why is there no ability to upload right from our phones instead of having to upload to a site and then link it? Is it a money thing or is it format?
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:17 am

toad strangler wrote:Why is there no ability to upload right from our phones instead of having to upload to a site and then link it? Is it a money thing or is it format?

First we'd have to pay for the storage, and second we'd have to pay for the bandwidth. We request images are uploaded to an image site so that we don't incur the expense AND neither does the site that hosted the original image. If a small site is hosting an image that gets posted on an S2K message thread then anyone who views that thread will see that image. If it's embedded from that original small site then those hundreds of views end up pulling the image from that small site which might overload their bandwidth or exceed their allotment. This is how the web works. :)

Imgur and other imaging sites have apps that make uploading and sharing fairly easy.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Just a quick note about posting images using imgur since I saw people having trouble with it recently. Their website is confusing and the "Copy Link" button doesn't actually work. If you just try to use that, it will make your post look like this:
This is because the "Copy Link" button creates a link to the imgur webpage that contains your image (whose domain is imgur.com), instead of a link to the actual image (whose domain is i.imgur.com)

There are two ways to fix this:
1. Click on the "..." next to "Copy Link", then "Get share links". Copy the code for "BBCode (Forums)", which should look like

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/RX2DWsM.png[/img]

Then copy this directly into the reply textbox in Storm2K. Don't use the "Img" button above.

2. Right click on the Imgur image in your browser, then "copy image link" (or something similar depending on the browser you use). The link you copied should look like this:

Code: Select all

https://i.imgur.com/RX2DWsM.png

Notice the domain is i.imgur.com, not just imgur.com.
Then go to Storm2K, click "Img" just above the textbox which will insert a pair of "[img]"and"[/img]". Paste the link inbetween them. Your end result should be the same as Method 1 above.

If you post correctly, your image will look like this:
6 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”