Storm2K Chatroom - Take the poll, join us in Discord

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Are you interested in a Storm2K chatroom using Discord?

Yes!
68%
Maybe, but I've never heard of Discord
23%
No, I don't want to create an account on Discord
4%
No
6%

Total votes: 106

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Storm2K Chatroom - Take the poll, join us in Discord

#1 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to judge interest in reviving the Storm2K chatroom, this time using Discord rather than the older IRC that we used to use. Discord is a voice and chat program originally written for people playing games but it's now being used by pretty much anyone who wants to create moderated chat rooms. During busy times we've found that chat rooms work well for discussing storms, with a more rapid back and forth conversation that sometimes makes thread tedious to get through. The Storm2K chatrooms will be Text only, no voice channels.

Discord is newer and more popular than IRC with easy to use apps for Android, iPhone, and Windows. You can also simply use their web page which offers all the same functionality as the app without having to install anything. https://discordapp.com/ You DO have to create an account, there are no anonymous users. This is a big plus for moderation and one of the big drawbacks to using IRC, but I understand if you would rather not use yet another system that requires an account.

I'm going to attach a poll so you can tell me if you're interested in this or not.

We will be looking for a few additional chat moderators if there's enough interest to get this going. If you're familiar with discord and/or want to be a chat moderator please PM me. I'm looking for folks who have either moderated IRC or have been around here for a few years and are in good standing. Thanks for the feedback!

Storm2K Chat Room Invite
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Storm2K Chatroom - who is interested?

#2 Postby Javlin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:06 pm

I will be that small % of the no vote just I am older guy who does not mind reading and yet to this still do not own a cellphone!I figured if I have lived this long without one why not keep at it it's peaceful.
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 pm

Javlin wrote:I will be that small % of the no vote just I am older guy who does not mind reading and yet to this still do not own a cellphone!I figured if I have lived this long without one why not keep at it it's peaceful.

2 years older than me. :D Don't need a cell phone, web works just fine as well, but I understand.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Would like to see a few more responses. No is a fine response, as well as yes, just trying to judge the interest in this.

Thanks again.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:12 pm

We have at least 10 possible yeses so let's give this a try.

The following link (below) will invite you to the S2K Discord server. You don't have to install anything but you will need to make an account. Storm2K does not manage the accounts so make sure to remember your login information. Please use the same name you do here on the boards so we can recognize who you are. Thanks.

Storm2K Chat Room Invite
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:34 am

tolakram wrote:
Javlin wrote:I will be that small % of the no vote just I am older guy who does not mind reading and yet to this still do not own a cellphone!I figured if I have lived this long without one why not keep at it it's peaceful.

2 years older than me. :D Don't need a cell phone, web works just fine as well, but I understand.

And 10 years younger than me!!
For me IRC was a pain. If discord is easier I might be interested in it.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Storm2K Chatroom - Take the poll, join us in Discord

#7 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:05 am

Invite link to our Discord server in the first post and also below. So far we have a few that joined but no one has said a word. :lol:

Storm2K Chat Room Invite
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:35 am

Bump,

we are trying a new chatroom in DISCORD, invite link above. Great place to chat about Gordan if you're interested. Details in first post.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby chaser1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:16 pm

tolakram wrote:Bump,

we are trying a new chatroom in DISCORD, invite link above. Great place to chat about Gordan if you're interested. Details in first post.

I tried logging back on to DISCORD during our temporary site server "brown-out" recently. I can tell you that trying to log on to Discord at that time was neither easy or intuitive. I eventually gave up and never was able to log back in. The instruction and verbiage to log back in just made no sense to me. I couldn't figure out the password I had previously established and everything I had tried to recover it would not work, so I gave up. Obviously, logging on to S2K for assistance at the time was not really a viable option.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby tolakram » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:57 am

chaser1 wrote:

I tried logging back on to DISCORD during our temporary site server "brown-out" recently. I can tell you that trying to log on to Discord at that time was neither easy or intuitive. I eventually gave up and never was able to log back in. The instruction and verbiage to log back in just made no sense to me. I couldn't figure out the password I had previously established and everything I had tried to recover it would not work, so I gave up. Obviously, logging on to S2K for assistance at the time was not really a viable option.

Sorry it didn't work well for you Chaser, unfortunately I have no control over the Discord login and account process.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby underthwx » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:41 am

tolakram wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Sorry it didn't work well for you Chaser, unfortunately I have no control over the Discord login and account process.

Good morning Tolakram...I have been on 2K since 2011, and I am embarrassed to ask this question...but here goes...what is Discord?...what type of discussion is on this topic?...thankyou!
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby tolakram » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 am

underthwx wrote:Good morning Tolakram...I have been on 2K since 2011, and I am embarrassed to ask this question...but here goes...what is Discord?...what type of discussion is on this topic?...thankyou!

Discord is a chat program that can also work in a web browser. You can click on the link and it will lead you to a signup page. You have to have an account, but it's free and no need to download any program. There are apps for both Android and Apple for mobile.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby underthwx » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:10 pm

tolakram wrote:
underthwx wrote:Good morning Tolakram...I have been on 2K since 2011, and I am embarrassed to ask this question...but here goes...what is Discord?...what type of discussion is on this topic?...thankyou!

Discord is a chat program that can also work in a web browser. You can click on the link and it will lead you to a signup page. You have to have an account, but it's free and no need to download any program. There are apps for both Android and Apple for mobile.

Thanks for your reply, and the information!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”