2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1401 Postby SFLcane » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
gatorcane wrote:The GFS is going with another EPAC storm from a CAG. If that happens, the Western Caribbean may stay too sheared rest of this month. Could we make it out of October with not one Caribbean storm despite all of the favorable indicators heading into this month?

The thing is the favorable indicators verified...Just on the Pacific side of things. That's always one of the possible outcomes with gyre set ups mjo Mjo Phase 1 can do either really. The persistent upper level ridge over the gulf and Southeast is also keeping things suppress to the South.

Presently, I don't see any favorable indicators in the EPAC.

Phase 8/1 can be either side of Central America. It doesn't favor the Western part of the EPac. Just that part shoved right against the continent If it weren't for the Gulf ridge it would come north. We've had ridging all summer and fall except for the 3 days Dorian was in the Bahamas.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1402 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 am

This season really overall just turned out to be similarly active to that of last season. ACE too isn’t too far behind last seasons totals at the moment.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#1403 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:41 am

TheStormExpert wrote:This season really overall just turned out to be similarly active to that of last season. ACE too isn’t too far behind last seasons totals at the moment.

Yep. Not hyperactive or record setting in terms of ace or named storms, but just an above average season. However, two category 5 storms is quite impressive. We have had 6 (Joaquin and Jose were close) of these in only 4 seasons after not a single one from 08-15.
6 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1404 Postby gatorcane » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Looks like some record breaking heat across parts of Florida with Orlando I believe setting daytime high records. Even here in South Florida it just feels hot and muggy still. Tampa has still not seen a sub-70F low yet which not sure has happened in October before. Looks like Orlando and Central Florida will cool some this week to highs in the low 80s but overall global models show above normal for Florida for the next 10 days at least and no season-ending front in the foreseeable future. So not sure if these are any indicators the Caribbean threat to Florida may persist a bit longer this year through at least end of month or maybe early November?
3 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1405 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Gale center near Azores I think partly fueled by Nestor's remnants looking neat this evening...
3 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1406 Postby StruThiO » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm

0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#1407 Postby HurricaneRyan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Will we actually get Rebekah for the very first time this year?
2 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1408 Postby chaser1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:47 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:Will we actually get Rebekah for the very first time this year?

The things that NHC will name LOL. I swear, it really makes my head spin. Oh NO?! I never should've said "spin". Chances are they may very well go ahead and name my head Rebekah too.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1409 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 am

chaser1 wrote:
HurricaneRyan wrote:Will we actually get Rebekah for the very first time this year?

The things that NHC will name LOL. I swear, it really makes my head spin. Oh NO?! I never should've said "spin". Chances are they may very well go ahead and name my head Rebekah too.

Olga and Pablo met the criteria for a closed low level warm core circulation and were true tropical storms.
3 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1410 Postby USTropics » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:46 am

I don't see the problem with either upgrade, they were both supported by data.

Pablo had a defined surface circulation with at least 40kts near the center, as captured by ASCAT:

Olga had a clear surface circulation with 45kts, as captured by recon:
5 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1411 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm

2019 is now the fourth consecutive season in the Atlantic basin with at least 15 named storms. That has never happened before on record.
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#1412 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I feel like 2003 might be a good analog year for activity. A lot of storms but not as many hurricanes. October especially feels like 2003 with the amount of named storms but no majors.

Dorian = Isabel.
Fabian = Lorenzo
Kate = Humberto
Pablo = Danny
Olga = Bill
Andrea = Ana
Erika = Fernand
Nestor = Henri
Grace = Imelda
Gabrielle = Nicholas
3 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1413 Postby DioBrando » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:36 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:I feel like 2003 might be a good analog year for activity. A lot of storms but not as many hurricanes. October especially feels like 2003 with the amount of named storms but no majors.

Dorian = Isabel.
Fabian = Lorenzo
Kate = Humberto
Pablo = Danny
Olga = Bill
Andrea = Ana
Erika = Fernand
Nestor = Henri
Grace = Imelda
Gabrielle = Nicholas

I totally see the 2003 gang you mentioned being the 2019 storms' counterparts!
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1414 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Pablo could be the last named storm of the season, but there is definitely a significant chance the Atlantic produces one more based on climatology. It's going to be interesting to see if anything forms in November.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1415 Postby DioBrando » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:56 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Pablo could be the last named storm of the season, but there is definitely a significant chance the Atlantic produces one more based on climatology. It's going to be interesting to see if anything forms in November.

I predict one more system given the weirdness of this season honestly
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1416 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:38 pm

Maybe we could even get a December storm. Maybe? :)
0 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1417 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:04 am

AnnularCane wrote:Maybe we could even get a December storm. Maybe? :)

With Melissa and Pablo showing this season's instability in the subtropics, along with above average SSTs, I would not be surprised if something significant spins up out there in December a la Epsilon.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#1418 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:27 am

Well we could get another storm in that same region of the Atlantic.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 AM EDT Mon Oct 28 2019

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

A large non-tropical low pressure system located more than 400
miles west of the Azores is producing a broad area of gale-force
to hurricane-force winds. The low could gradually acquire
subtropical characteristics over the next few days while the
system moves slowly southward to southeastward over warmer water.
Environmental conditions are expected to become unfavorable for
development by Friday when the low is forecast to move back over
colder water. For more information, see High Seas Forecasts issued
by the NOAA National Weather Service.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1419 Postby DioBrando » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm

My hunch calls for a last-minute Sebastien even in December.
What are your thoughts?
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1420 Postby EquusStorm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Since transition happened three times last month in a similar fashion, I am not taking my eyes off the gale sitting over the gulf stream...

All we need is a little less shear where that eastern feature is going...

2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”