What systems should (not) have been classified?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
404UserNotFound
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

What systems should (not) have been classified?

#1 Postby 404UserNotFound » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

The recent formation of Pablo and Rebekah in the Atlantic leads me to wonder: what systems should have been classified that, for whatever reason, weren't? (Or, if you prefer Type I errors, what systems shouldn't have been classified that, for whatever reason, were?)

To start us off, here is a system from the tropical Atlantic in late September 2010:
It's not the strongest of candidates for classification, but if it had been classified, it might have beaten out Tropical Storm Marco for smallest tropical cyclone on record. (More information on this particular system is available here.)

I'm not limiting this to just the Atlantic, though, so feel free to post other examples from around the world. Do try to avoid bashing any agencies that classify or monitor TCs, as they have their reasons behind their decisions; merely expressing disagreement is enough.
0 likes   
Please note: Never take any statements I make about forecasts at face value, as I am nowhere near professional at that.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What systems should (not) have been classified?

#2 Postby Sciencerocks » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:26 pm

invest 90l 2014

invest 92l 2014

invest 95L 2014

invest 97L 2014

invest 98L 2014

Seriously, 2014 had quite a few nameable systems and had quite a bit of strength overall. But because of the reality these systems weren't upgraded 2014 is laughed at and peered with 2013 and 2015! Lets just say I wouldn't have been able to control my bashing of the nhc in 2014. Sorry.
5 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:23 pm

In early October 1997 a storm developed near the Azores and tracked eastward, developing quite a bit of convection around a well-organized center of circulation. It eventually made landfall near Gibraltar and entered the western Mediterranean Sea, though it had lost most of convection at that point. Here's an image from when convection was most robust:

5.2MB. Source: Satellite data ordered from NOAA CLASS and processed using NOAA CoastWatch

There was in fact a second system that developed in this region of the northeastern Atlantic later the same month, moving through the Azores before making landfall on the northern Portuguese/Spanish border. It too had an organized convective pattern and was arguably a tropical cyclone, developing an eye-feature in the process. I'll see if I can fetch an image of when it made landfall on the Iberian Peninsula, but here are two images of it east of the Azores:

10KB. Source: Satellite data from NOAA CLASS and processed using NOAA Weather and Climate Toolkit

1.1MB. Source: Satellite data from NOAA CLASS and processed using NOAA Weather and Climate Toolkit
8 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby MarioProtVI » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I have a few instances:

* Colin 2016 was bound to be discussed here, and while I do believe it was a brief TS as it was entering the Gulf before degenerating into a trough, had the POTC system been implemented a year earlier it would have never gotten a name bc of its structure and would bust a la 10L a year later.
* Olga from this year should not have been classified IMO. Was already merging with the front as it was being initiated and the strongest winds were behind the cold front which was not associated with the storm at all. Also not to mention it was only a TC for 6 h according to BT.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:28 pm

In late November 1990, amidst an already active Pacific in both Northern and Southern Hemispheres, one more system may have slipped through the cracks. Active systems in the WPac at the time were Typhoons Owen and Page, which went on to become rare simultaneous category 5s. The SPac also had Cyclone Sina, which isn't in best track as a category 5 but probably be. However, east of Owen and across the equator from Sina was a large disturbance that may have gained enough organization to be classified as a TC, although no agency did so. It's a little difficult to tell if it is actually worthy with the imagery I have access to, but it was at least large enough to apparently interact with Owen, moving northwards out of the near-equatorial latitudes while Owen simultaneously slowed down and took a dive to the SW, dropping below 10ºN. It clearly wasn't anything intense, but I do lean towards it being a missed TC.

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:19 pm

I believe Olga was upgradable 12 hours before they upgraded it and was probably a tropical storm by 5am and a depression about 6-12 hours earlier. The front was no where near the center and it had a clear warm core when it was upgraded so that argument isn't very strong.

Even at landfall and as it was approaching the coast it still had a warm core based on rig and surface observations so the front didn't really attach even then. One could make an argument for a tropical storm landfall with this storm.
2 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm

Here's another good candidate! Invest 98L of 2018.

3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby aspen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:05 pm

1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby MarioProtVI » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:48 am

aspen wrote:

If I’m not mistaken, 98L came from the remnants of Florence after they emerged off of the New England coast.

It actually came from the mid-level remnants as the surface circ of Florence had already dissipated over the NEUS. I think if it was classified it would’ve been a regeneration of Florence rather then Kirk (which was the next name since Joyce was already active), since the NHC has counted regeneration of a previous storm from a MLC before, such as Lee 2017.
2 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Looks like 2014 may have been more active than previously thought.

I am not surprised some go undetected.
5 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#11 Postby TheAustinMan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 pm

There's a whole collection of Mediterranean tropical and tropical-like cyclones that should probably be entered into the global tropical cyclone database. Some of the intriguing swirls that come up from time to time are often light on convection and very short-lived, but there are some stout examples that are probably very clear, well-organized, and convectively active warm core storms that deserve as much attention (if not more, due to their possible human impact) as their open-basin, north Atlantic counterparts that do get named.

Here's one of the more well-known cases from October 1996.

2.1 MB. Source: Ordered from NOAA CLASS and processed in NOAA CoastWatch.
6 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Oooh I LOVE this subject. Super fascinating stuff. Right off the top of my head 92L from last month one could almost make a case for...

And I could probably argue about multiple tropical storms this year being judgment calls (still unsure about Olga, mainly; usually something that lasts only 12 hours isn't classified) not to mention a few subtropical storms lately that seemed to barely meet criterion (Leslie's initial STS phase comes to mind with rather sparse convection) but lemme dig into my saved satellite archives and see what else I can come up with.

I'll second that 98L last year after Florence was a big one; the most extremely egregious case I can recall recently, and I think could have been classified more so than many marginal subtropical systems in recent decades even despite their hesitation due to scatterometer being a little unsure.

The October 9 2011 Florida storm (93L) is often mentioned when this subject comes up though there are debates.

A few recent cases that probably did NOT warrant classification but came VERY close and might still be as good a case as our most marginal classified tropical cyclones-

The tropical wave NE of where Nate developed in 2017 almost produced a tropical depression/storm in the Florida Straits had shear been weaker, but there were questions about being completely closed off and depth of convection; still awfully close.

95L in Sept 2013 came very close to becoming a tropical depression off the Texas coast before it was carried east with a front... and the remnant vorticity persisted for a few days unlike most weak systems.

Another 95L, last year, in the Gulf during Florence's landfall never really fully closed off in the Gulf but once it went ashore it maintained an organized at least mid level spin for days and well arranged convection, would've absolutely been our FIFTH simultaneous tropical cyclone in the Atlantic if it had 12 more hours over water... reminds me very much of Imelda this year just didn't have that extra burst of time

2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 pm

404UserNotFound wrote:The recent formation of Pablo and Rebekah in the Atlantic leads me to wonder: what systems should have been classified that, for whatever reason, weren't? (Or, if you prefer Type I errors, what systems shouldn't have been classified that, for whatever reason, were?)

To start us off, here is a system from the tropical Atlantic in late September 2010:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/100924-25_g13_vis_atl_swirl_anim.gif
It's not the strongest of candidates for classification, but if it had been classified, it might have beaten out Tropical Storm Marco for smallest tropical cyclone on record. (More information on this particular system is available here.)

I'm not limiting this to just the Atlantic, though, so feel free to post other examples from around the world. Do try to avoid bashing any agencies that classify or monitor TCs, as they have their reasons behind their decisions; merely expressing disagreement is enough.

The WPac had one of these from July 13-19, 2013 as well. I would tend away from classifying this particular case due to its struggle to maintain convection, but the persistence of the feature is surely fascinating.

“Midget” tropical cyclone over the West Pacific Ocean?
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#14 Postby DioBrando » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 pm

What about Lake Huron?
Would have been named Isidore, I think.
0 likes   
who can it be now
*du du du du du du*

NessFrogVenom
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#15 Postby NessFrogVenom » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:45 pm

I know it's been like two years since anyone has said anything, but Odette 2021 (Atlantic) is like another Colin (2016) but worse.
7 likes   

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby Europa non è lontana » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:41 pm

In the "should be classified" column, I'd like to propose a small cyclone which appeared to be tropical or subtropical in nature on the 24th of November 1982, west of Dakhla, Western Sahara.

7 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Europa non è lontana wrote:In the "should be classified" column, I'd like to propose a small cyclone which appeared to be tropical or subtropical in nature on the 24th of November 1982, west of Dakhla, Western Sahara.

https://i.imgur.com/xKOiFqO.png

Looks like a hurricane!
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:28 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:
Europa non è lontana wrote:In the "should be classified" column, I'd like to propose a small cyclone which appeared to be tropical or subtropical in nature on the 24th of November 1982, west of Dakhla, Western Sahara.

https://i.imgur.com/xKOiFqO.png

Looks like a hurricane!

That is what I am thinking too. Looks like a midget hurricane.
1 likes   

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby Europa non è lontana » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:07 am

A further contribution -

an unclassified, very small-scale system with organised and consistent convection lasting for around two days around the 20th and 21st of November, 1983, which dissipated after landfall on mainland Portugal. Attached are visual and IR loops of the system. It traversed waters of 16-18C and likely had a warm or neutral core.

https://i.imgur.com/Nibl35p.mp4 Visual

https://i.imgur.com/MZdumWc.mp4 IR

I would be interested to hear opinions. Personally, I believe it is a system that met the definition of a subtropical storm, but obviously I am not an expert and more qualified eyes are needed to make a definitive judgement.
4 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:26 am

How about the nor’easter that went up the east coast on December 23/24 1994, was at one point IMO an 85 to 90 mph hurricane at one point, landfalling on Long Island/Southern New England
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”