What systems should (not) have been classified?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What systems should (not) have been classified?

#21 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:47 pm

NessFrogVenom wrote:I know it's been like two years since anyone has said anything, but Odette 2021 (Atlantic) is like another Colin (2016) but worse.

Funny cause Colin 2022 wasn’t any better either lol
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Teban54 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:04 am

skyline385 wrote:
NessFrogVenom wrote:I know it's been like two years since anyone has said anything, but Odette 2021 (Atlantic) is like another Colin (2016) but worse.

Funny cause Colin 2022 wasn’t any better either lol

Colin 2022 was clearly classifiable though, despite being weak.
3 likes   

Europa non è lontana
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#23 Postby Europa non è lontana » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:44 pm

I would like to draw attention to a tropical cyclone that formed in the Mediterranean Sea in late September, 1982. The system had a well-defined eye, was non-frontal, and had consistent convection for over four days.

(Credit to EUMETSAT - apologies for the flickering on the GIF.)

This cyclone, as well as tens of others in the Mediterranean Sea, were and are not monitored by any RSMC. This is important as public awareness as to the impact and dangers of these hurricanes, as well as forecasting and resources, can be severely diminished. The reason I have chosen to post this tropical cyclone is because I was unable to find any pre-existing photographs of this system. It is my firm belief that official monitoring and designation of this basin as an area of tropical cyclone formation is crucial, as it has sometimes seen more tropical activity than the CPHC's area of responsibility and the potential for extreme human impacts is much higher in this basin owing to the large population density and diminished public awareness.
10 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:52 pm

Some of the systems were not classified because it was connected to frontal systems.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby skyline385 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:57 pm

Europa non è lontana wrote:I would like to draw attention to a tropical cyclone that formed in the Mediterranean Sea in late September, 1982. The system had a well-defined eye, was non-frontal, and had consistent convection for over four days.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/763404223089606766/1016301651709149185/optimised_1982.gif

(Credit to EUMETSAT - apologies for the flickering on the GIF.)

This cyclone, as well as tens of others in the Mediterranean Sea, were and are not monitored by any RSMC. This is important as public awareness as to the impact and dangers of these hurricanes, as well as forecasting and resources, can be severely diminished. The reason I have chosen to post this tropical cyclone is because I was unable to find any pre-existing photographs of this system. It is my firm belief that official monitoring and designation of this basin as an area of tropical cyclone formation is crucial, as it has sometimes seen more tropical activity than the CPHC's area of responsibility and the potential for extreme human impacts is much higher in this basin owing to the large population density and diminished public awareness.

That gif needs a seizure warning lol
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”