WPAC TC Naming Updates

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

WPAC TC Naming Updates

#1 Postby doomhaMwx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:49 am

I decided to create this thread for us to have a unified place where we can post updates about TC naming in the West Pacific basin (e.g. retirements and replacements). Feel free to express your thoughts/opinions as well if you think a name should or shouldn't have been retired, etc. Thank you!
Last edited by doomhaMwx on Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Like my content? Consider giving a tip.

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC Tropical Cyclone Naming Updates

#2 Postby doomhaMwx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:49 am

The Korea Meteorological Administration recently announced possible replacement names for "Goni", which was retired due to its impact on the Philippines last year. The following entries were chosen via a public typhoon naming contest (a replacement will be decided in 2022):

Danbi
Gaenari
Sonagi
Garion
Sora

Which one would you prefer? :D
Danbi - Long awaited rain / sweet rain after a long drought
Gaenari - The flower forsythia
Sonagi - Rain shower
Garion - A mythical white horse with a black mane
Sora - Conch shell

https://www.kma.go.kr/notify/notice/lis ... um=1192920
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:18 am

Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:The Korea Meteorological Administration recently announced possible replacement names for "Goni", which was retired due to its impact on the Philippines last year. The following entries were chosen via a public typhoon naming contest (a replacement will be decided in 2022):

Danbi
Gaenari
Sonagi
Garion
Sora

Which one would you prefer? :D
Danbi - Long awaited rain / sweet rain after a long drought
Gaenari - The flower forsythia
Sonagi - Rain shower
Garion - A mythical white horse with a black mane
Sora - Conch shell

https://www.kma.go.kr/notify/notice/lis ... um=1192920
https://i.imgur.com/yRvfrnl.png

Being Korean, I really love Garion, it gives off a mythical but also elusive and fearsome vibe. Sora is also cool imho, it is short like Goni and represents an object of the ocean
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:45 am

Vamco should be retired as well if we're considering impacts.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby doomhaMwx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:06 am

dexterlabio wrote:Vamco should be retired as well if we're considering impacts.

Yes, it was retired along with Linfa, Vongfong, Molave, and Goni.
https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/ty ... al-session
0 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby doomhaMwx » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:The Korea Meteorological Administration recently announced possible replacement names for "Goni", which was retired due to its impact on the Philippines last year. The following entries were chosen via a public typhoon naming contest (a replacement will be decided in 2022):

Danbi
Gaenari
Sonagi
Garion
Sora

Update:
KMA announced last week that it has submitted the names "Gaenari", "Sora", and "Garion" to the WMO Typhoon Committee as candidate replacements for Goni. A replacement will be decided during the committee's 54th annual session next month.
https://news.naver.com/main/read.naver? ... 0012905794
1 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby doomhaMwx » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 am

0 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC TC Naming Updates

#8 Postby doomhaMwx » Wed May 04, 2022 8:47 pm

The Typhoon Committee has officially updated its website to include the five replacement names (along with their proper pronunciations) that were chosen during its 54th session held in February: Penha, Peilou, Narra, Gaenari, and Bang-Lang.
http://www.typhooncommittee.org/list-of ... -cyclones/

0 likes   

115MphAgatha
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby 115MphAgatha » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:50 pm

UKMET wants Malakas gone.
I see why.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:09 pm

This kind of got me wondering, but even before the committee decided that "Malakas" should be on the WPAC naming list, shouldn't they have thought that out before doing that? This sort of applies with "Adolph" in the EPAC too, like why the heck did they even think that having that name would be a good idea?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:49 pm

Watch them retire Malakas for having a problematic meaning in a different language, but not retire Rai after killing over 400 people and causing >$1 billion USD in damages.

Would they even retire Malakas for having a foul meaning in a language that isn’t native to one of the countries in the WPac? I don’t recall anything like this happening before; the EPac’s Adolph doesn’t count because countries that have a problem with the name (for obvious reasons) are in that basin.
8 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#12 Postby zzh » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:01 pm

Malakas means strong in Filipino.
3 likes   

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby doomhaMwx » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:36 pm

I'd understand if the UK, Greece (or whatever country has a problem with Malakas) gets affected by typhoons from the WPAC. Moreover, there are probably lots of other TC names out there that have different meanings in other languages! For instance, the TC name "Bulbul" which was used in the NIO in 2019 actually means "pubic hair" in Filipino (but in Pakistan, the country that submitted the name, it refers to the nightingale bird). There were various reactions among Filipinos online about the usage of this name, but did the Philippines submit a formal complaint?

Also, "Malakas" has already been used four times in the WPAC since 2004, so why is this issue being raised only now?
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Hammy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:38 pm

aspen wrote:

Watch them retire Malakas for having a problematic meaning in a different language, but not retire Rai after killing over 400 people and causing >$1 billion USD in damages.

Would they even retire Malakas for having a foul meaning in a language that isn’t native to one of the countries in the WPac? I don’t recall anything like this happening before; the EPac’s Adolph doesn’t count because countries that have a problem with the name (for obvious reasons) are in that basin.

France demanded "Frances" be retired from the 2004 list before the season began (which became moot as it ended up being retired anyway)
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iune
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby Iune » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:18 pm

India requested the replacement of Hanuman from the WPac naming lists in 2002 since Hanuman is a Hindu god.
2 likes   
Floyd 1999 · Irene 2011 · Sandy 2012

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby Foxfires » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:56 am

but
this is another language from a country like halfway across the world
it's not like Greece is getting hit by Malakas
like yeah, some words mean different things in different languages, just because it means an insult in one does not mean it cannot be used in the other in a non-offensive context because it literally means a completely different thing

Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:Also, "Malakas" has already been used four times in the WPAC since 2004, so why is this issue being raised only now?

If I had to guess? probably because it's gained more public traction. Although I haven't looked through social media stuff from 2016's Malakas so I digress.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”