2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

#101 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:23 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Guess that Ida keeps the I curse going . . . I don't know how mine keeps dodging retirement! :lol:

Oh, is your name Isaac?? :lol:

Yes, I don't know how I keep dodging retirement! Even 2012 was overlooked by Superstorm Sandy. :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:16 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Guess that Ida keeps the I curse going . . . I don't know how mine keeps dodging retirement! :lol:

Yes, I don't know how I keep dodging retirement! Even 2012 was overlooked by Superstorm Sandy. :lol: :lol:

Well unfortunately this I curse is quite powerful, so I would not be surprised if 2024's Isaac is like a Cat 5 monster and makes I the second letter to retire all original names.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:35 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Well unfortunately this I curse is quite powerful, so I would not be surprised if 2024's Isaac is like a Cat 5 monster and makes I the second letter to retire all original names.

I'm the last original name? Goodness.

I'm surprised that I'm still in the Naming list, against all odds!
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#104 Postby Foxfires » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:12 am

Honestly, I'm not that surprised Rai wasn't retired. WPAC has a track record of not retiring deadly and/or damaging names (e.g. Jebi (21 dead, ~$14 bil insured loses), Fengshen (excess of 1300 people dead or missing and/or presumed dead), Damrey (excess of 100 people dead both in 2005 & 2017)). There are names that imo should have been retired twice or even thrice. I don't think this happens with other basins. Now my question is: but why?
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:17 am

Foxfires wrote:Honestly, I'm not that surprised Rai wasn't retired. WPAC has a track record of not retiring deadly and/or damaging names (e.g. Jebi (21 dead, ~$14 bil insured loses), Fengshen (excess of 1300 people dead or missing and/or presumed dead), Damrey (excess of 100 people dead both in 2005 & 2017)). There are names that imo should have been retired twice or even thrice. I don't think this happens with other basins. Now my question is: but why?

I've always thought that the requirements for a WPAC retirement is if the same named system is catastrophic for the 2nd time.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby aspen » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:56 am

Foxfires wrote:Honestly, I'm not that surprised Rai wasn't retired. WPAC has a track record of not retiring deadly and/or damaging names (e.g. Jebi (21 dead, ~$14 bil insured loses), Fengshen (excess of 1300 people dead or missing and/or presumed dead), Damrey (excess of 100 people dead both in 2005 & 2017)). There are names that imo should have been retired twice or even thrice. I don't think this happens with other basins. Now my question is: but why?

For Japan, part of the reason is that they don’t even use typhoon names there. Systems are just called “Typhoon #” or something. So even if a system were to cause $20+ billion in damages there, they probably wouldn’t retire it because barely anyone knew its name. However, there’s no reason for the Philippines to not request Rai to be retired, because they’ve retired storms like Kai-tak with less than $100 million USD in damages and <100 fatalities; Rai had over 400 fatalities and $1 billion USD in damages.

The WPac is just a mess with tropical cyclone naming and tracking.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#107 Postby Foxfires » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:52 am

Iceresistance wrote:I've always thought that the requirements for a WPAC retirement is if the same named system is catastrophic for the 2nd time.

I'd think so too, but if that was the case there wouldn't be any retired named during 2000-2004/2005, because that's when the names from the new list were first used. Vamei, Chataan, Rusa, Pongsona, Yanyan, Imbudo, Maemi, Sudal, Tingting, Rananim, Matsa, and Nabi were all retired after the first time they were used. First-time-use replacement names as well, like Fanapi. Maybe they changed the standard? Would be very weird one imo.

aspen wrote:For Japan, part of the reason is that they don’t even use typhoon names there. Systems are just called “Typhoon #” or something. So even if a system were to cause $20+ billion in damages there, they probably wouldn’t retire it because barely anyone knew its name. However, there’s no reason for the Philippines to not request Rai to be retired, because they’ve retired storms like Kai-tak with less than $100 million USD in damages and <100 fatalities; Rai had over 400 fatalities and $1 billion USD in damages.

Makes sense, but I'm pretty sure Japan requested the retirement of Hagibis and Faxai, so I don't see why Jebi had any reason not to be retired like those 2. And yeah, WPAC is a mess.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:53 am

Wait...Rai didn't get retired??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That storm was the second costliest in Philippine history and killed at least 450 people; how exactly would a storm like that escape retirement? Did the WMO already meet to retire WPAC storm names, or is their schedule different from the EPAC/Atlantic?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#109 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:50 am

Foxfires wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:I've always thought that the requirements for a WPAC retirement is if the same named system is catastrophic for the 2nd time.

I'd think so too, but if that was the case there wouldn't be any retired named during 2000-2004/2005, because that's when the names from the new list were first used. Vamei, Chataan, Rusa, Pongsona, Yanyan, Imbudo, Maemi, Sudal, Tingting, Rananim, Matsa, and Nabi were all retired after the first time they were used. First-time-use replacement names as well, like Fanapi. Maybe they changed the standard? Would be very weird one imo.

aspen wrote:For Japan, part of the reason is that they don’t even use typhoon names there. Systems are just called “Typhoon #” or something. So even if a system were to cause $20+ billion in damages there, they probably wouldn’t retire it because barely anyone knew its name. However, there’s no reason for the Philippines to not request Rai to be retired, because they’ve retired storms like Kai-tak with less than $100 million USD in damages and <100 fatalities; Rai had over 400 fatalities and $1 billion USD in damages.

Makes sense, but I'm pretty sure Japan requested the retirement of Hagibis and Faxai, so I don't see why Jebi had any reason not to be retired like those 2. And yeah, WPAC is a mess.

To be fair, Faxai and Hagibis were the first typhoons since 1977 to be given special names by Japan and the first since the JMA took control of the naming lists in 2000. So I think it’s just that Japan thought it didn’t have the opportunity to request any retirements until 2019, especially since the USA had exclusive control of the lists before 2000.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#110 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:53 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wait...Rai didn't get retired??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That storm was the second costliest in Philippine history and killed at least 450 people; how exactly would a storm like that escape retirement? Did the WMO already meet to retire WPAC storm names, or is their schedule different from the EPAC/Atlantic?

For me this is Fengshen 2.0. Both very costly and very deadly storms in the Philippines that weren’t retired yet their PAGASA names were retired. To be fair, maybe the Philippines will pull a Yutu and request Rai’s retirement next year since they were two months behind in announcing the PAGASA retirement and replacements, meaning there might have been something going on preventing them from requesting Rai this year.
0 likes   

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#111 Postby Foxfires » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wait...Rai didn't get retired??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm pretty sure the meeting is earlier in the year for the WPAC. As far as I'm aware no countries requested the retirement of any names.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”