2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Cyclones Retirement

#81 Postby Teban54 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:45 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
ouragans wrote:Elsa has been requested to be retired by Barbados Met Service

Hmm, interesting. I did a quick bit of research on Elsa, and it seems like it was the first hurricane to directly hit Barbados in 66 years (since Janet in 1955, interestingly). It also did quite a bit of damage there. So if it does get retired, a few interesting things would arise:

1. This could very well be a case like Igor or Fabian in which the hurricane alone is not extremely infamous overall for many wx enthusiasts or scientists, but it happens to impact some independent nation in the Atlantic in a manner that they have never seen before or at least seen in years, allowing them to formulate a strong argument for retirement and with the storm being one that local residents may remember for a while
2. It would be the first E name to get retired since 2015
3. It would be the first replacement name of a replacement name in the Atlantic to get retired (in other words, the third in its lineage)
4. It would be the first July storm to get its name retired since Dennis in 2005

My guesses for replacement would be Edith, Estrella, Evelyn, or Eleanor. We'll see what happens though. Honestly, I personally did not expect Elsa to even become a retirement-worthy name, but given what I have just read up about it, seems like Barbados may actually have a solid point in seeing that name gone.

Ironically, the first point applies equally as well to Elsa's predecessor, Erika.

Edit: Also, Edith was used in 1971 for a Cat 5 Central America landfall. Even though it somehow wasn't retired, I would not use the name again.
1 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#82 Postby ouragans » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:51 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:

Is there a source for this? It would be interesting if true but I can’t find anything verifying it.

This is an information from Meteo France chief meteorologist in Martinique, who is attending the 44th conference
5 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Hmm, interesting. I did a quick bit of research on Elsa, and it seems like it was the first hurricane to directly hit Barbados in 66 years (since Janet in 1955, interestingly). It also did quite a bit of damage there. So if it does get retired, a few interesting things would arise:

1. This could very well be a case like Igor or Fabian in which the hurricane alone is not extremely infamous overall for many wx enthusiasts or scientists, but it happens to impact some independent nation in the Atlantic in a manner that they have never seen before or at least seen in years, allowing them to formulate a strong argument for retirement and with the storm being one that local residents may remember for a while
2. It would be the first E name to get retired since 2015
3. It would be the first replacement name of a replacement name in the Atlantic to get retired (in other words, the third in its lineage)
4. It would be the first July storm to get its name retired since Dennis in 2005

My guesses for replacement would be Edith, Estrella, Evelyn, or Eleanor. We'll see what happens though. Honestly, I personally did not expect Elsa to even become a retirement-worthy name, but given what I have just read up about it, seems like Barbados may actually have a solid point in seeing that name gone.

Ironically, the first point applies equally as well to Elsa's predecessor, Erika.

Edit: Also, Edith was used in 1971 for a Cat 5 Central America landfall. Even though it somehow wasn't retired, I would not use the name again.

You know, I gotta say, you actually have a good point here. I definitely think especially dating back to the years hurricanes were only named after female names, there are certain hurricanes like Edith or Ester that became very powerful hurricanes, and while they did not officially get retired, it may be best to not use them for a bit. I will say, I do also like the name Eileen as a potential successor should Elsa be nixed (I have a friend whose name is Eileen and it also is a catchy name with Dexys Midnight Runners' hit "Come On Eileen").
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#84 Postby ouragans » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:25 am

The answer for 2021 names retirement will be available on Wednesday at night
4 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#85 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:36 pm

If this is true, won't the replacement be chosen from a list of three names provided by the Barbados Met Service?

Looking at lists of names that have been used in Barbados, most of the possibilities would be common to other English speaking countries. Ebony, Esther, Elsie, Elaine, Eileen, Evelyn, Eleanor, Eunice, and Enid have all been used in Barbados. Some names which have had some use in Barbados which might be more unusual alternatives would include Ena, Eudora, Ernesta, Eudene, Eulene, Elma, Evadney, and Erla.
6 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:

If this is true, won't the replacement be chosen from a list of three names provided by the Barbados Met Service?

Looking at lists of names that have been used in Barbados, most of the possibilities would be common to other English speaking countries. Ebony, Esther, Elsie, Elaine, Eileen, Evelyn, Eleanor, Eunice, and Enid have all been used in Barbados. Some names which have had some use in Barbados which might be more unusual alternatives would include Ena, Eudora, Ernesta, Eudene, Eulene, Elma, Evadney, and Erla.

I personally think that given there is no way of knowing whether Elsa's potential replacement in 2027 or beyond would affect a predominantly English-speaking country, a Spanish-speaking country, or a French-speaking country, I honestly think that they will likely pick a name from the list of names you've given from Ebony to Enid. Esther I feel might still bring back memories of the 1961 Cat 5 hurricane, and I also feel that while I personally like the name, I could see WMO not picking Eileen as it sounds quite similar to Irene. Also, another name I recently thought would be cool to see is Emma, although I just realized that Ema is a name used in the CPAC, so I am not sure if WMO will like that either
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#87 Postby Torino » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:04 pm

Final thoughts:
Ida: Ivy, Ilse or Ilene
Elsa (if retired): Emma, Evelyn or Esther
Grace (if retired): Glenda, Georgia or Gina
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:12 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:My opinion
Ida=99.9999%
Larry 10%
Grace 10%
Everything else = 0 %

Eghemm. Uhm Ehm Uh Elsa 50%
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#89 Postby JetFuel_SE » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:

I personally think that given there is no way of knowing whether Elsa's potential replacement in 2027 or beyond would affect a predominantly English-speaking country, a Spanish-speaking country, or a French-speaking country, I honestly think that they will likely pick a name from the list of names you've given from Ebony to Enid. Esther I feel might still bring back memories of the 1961 Cat 5 hurricane, and I also feel that while I personally like the name, I could see WMO not picking Eileen as it sounds quite similar to Irene. Also, another name I recently thought would be cool to see is Emma, although I just realized that Ema is a name used in the CPAC, so I am not sure if WMO will like that either

The name Ana is also used in the CPAC and SPAC, so make of that what you wish.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:26 pm

https://twitter.com/WMO/status/1519366227575164934

Ida is gone, replaced with Imani

Elsa survived.
Last edited by Category5Kaiju on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#91 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:29 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:https://twitter.com/WMO/status/1519366227575164934?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ida is gone, replaced with Imani (I personally have never heard of that name, I think it is an interesting choice ngl).

Elsa survived.

Evidentially, Imani is a relatively popular first and middle name in the USA among millenial and Gen Z African-American girls. And New Orleans is majority black if I recall correctly.
8 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#92 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:37 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:https://twitter.com/WMO/status/1519366227575164934?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ida is gone, replaced with Imani (I personally have never heard of that name, I think it is an interesting choice ngl).

Elsa survived.

Evidentially, Imani is a relatively popular first and middle name in the USA among millenial and Gen Z African-American girls. And New Orleans is majority black if I recall correctly.

Imani first appears on Social Security's top thousand list for newborn girls in 1990. It peaked at 239th in 1996. It has been receding recently but still ranked 523rd in 2020. (2021 figures should be released around May 6.) Of course as those are national figures its rank within just the African-American community would be a lot higher.

Imani is the Swahili word for "faith." Like several other Swahili words, it has been adopted as a name by African-Americans though it is very rarely if ever used as a name in East Africa.
1 likes   

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#93 Postby zzh » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:40 pm

Seems like Elsa is not retired.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Teban54 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:28 pm

How often is a name not retired despite being requested by a country (Elsa in this case)?
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby aspen » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm

zzh wrote:

If Sally wasn’t retired despite a $7 billion price tag, then Elsa with a $1 billion tag didn’t have a chance.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:03 pm

Teban54 wrote:How often is a name not retired despite being requested by a country (Elsa in this case)?

Not sure, although given the horrific streak of seasons we've been having as well as the general expectation that future storms will have an easier time becoming more powerful and wetter, it is possible that Barbados's request was rejected, particularly given the idea that a MUCH worse hurricane than Elsa could very well affect the island nation at some point in the future. Just a theory though
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby Teban54 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:15 pm

aspen wrote:
zzh wrote:

If Sally wasn’t retired despite a $7 billion price tag, then Elsa with a $1 billion tag didn’t have a chance.

Erika did $500 mil damage and was retired. Retirements are not just based on monetary damage, they also need to consider localized impacts. Smaller countries like Dominica and Barbados can suffer a lot more from storms even without a huge price tag, as they have lower GDP and such. (Though in this case, it's possible that WMO deemed Elsa's impacts on Barbados as not significant enough.)
1 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#98 Postby Torino » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:36 pm

Teban54 wrote:How often is a name not retired despite being requested by a country (Elsa in this case)?

Not a country, but Hawaii did request the retirement of a bunch of EPac names in 2006, including older storms (Daniel, Gilma, Fabio, Kenneth, etc.). The request was denied. Only Ioke from CPac got retired.

As for Elsa, I believe the storm was below a threshold to get retired by a country like Barbados. We can name recent examples of names retired by other Caribbean countries/territories similar in size: Fabian (Bermuda), Tomas (St. Lucia), Paloma (Cayman Is.), Erika (Dominica). All were far worse storms than Elsa. Other names like Gonzalo/Nicole (Bermuda) and Emily (Grenada) were also pretty destructive and they didn't even get retired.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

#99 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:45 pm

Guess that Ida keeps the I curse going . . . I don't know how mine keeps dodging retirement! :lol:
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Cyclones Retirement: Ida -> Imani

#100 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:47 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Guess that Ida keeps the I curse going . . . I don't know how mine keeps dodging retirement! :lol:

Oh, is your name Isaac?? :lol:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”