Storms that were worse than the name they replaced

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Storms that were worse than the name they replaced

#1 Postby Tekken_Guy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:58 pm

What storms that were replacement names were more destructive than the names that they replaced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Storms that were worse than the name they replaced

#2 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Irene (2011) -> Irma (2017)
1 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#3 Postby IcyTundra » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Isidore (2002) -> Ike (2008)
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby aspen » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Juan ‘03 —> Joaquin ‘15
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:42 pm

Dean and Dorian
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Teban54 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:12 pm

A less well-known one: Carol and Camille - or alternatively, Carla and Camille.

The name Carol was on the naming list during the very first hurricane season when human names were used - the 1953 season. Back then, the plan was that the same naming list would be used every single year, so Carol was used for two consecutive seasons, 1953 and 1954. Carol 1953 was a Cat 5 CV storm with minimal impacts, but Carol 1954 struck Long Island and New England as a Cat 3. After the 1954 season, Carol, Edna and Hazel were retired - the first three retired names in the Atlantic. (note 1)

The plan was to only retire hurricane names for 10 years, after which they would be eligible for use again. By the 1960s, four rotating naming lists were established. So after Carla was retired in 1961, Carol was again chosen to replace Carla in 1965 since it's now eligible for use. As you might have guessed, even though Carol 1965 was just an OTS storm, the use of Carol sparked public confusion and uproar from the research community who were still producing papers on Carol 1954.

In January 1969, the National Hurricane Research Laboratory asked the naming committee to permanently retire Carol, Edna and Hazel, which was approved. (note 2) So Carol was gone from the 1969 list, but they needed a new C name at the last minute. NHRL's Dr Miller suggested the name Camille, named after Camille Hope who, as you might have guessed, was the daughter of John Hope. At that time, Miller was supervising her for a high school research project. AFAIK, this is the only time that a storm name was chosen for an actual person.

We all know what happened after that. Ironically, the name Camille was retired after that one usage, and Camille was much stronger than Carol 1954, Carol 1965 and Carla 1961. (Even though Camille didn't directly replace Carla, in some sense Carla was the most recent retirement-worthy C storm on that naming list and part of the reason why Camille entered the list.)

Notes:
1) It was also decided after 1954 that different naming lists should be used every year (though the decision wasn't made soon enough to prevent the confusion of Alice June 1954 vs Alice December 1954, but that's a whole different story).
2) Despite the permanent retirement of Carol, Edna and Hazel, the name Edna somehow entered the 1972 naming list again (I can't find any sources on why that happened). Fortunately, it didn't matter since the 1972 season only used 4 names.
7 likes   

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7 Postby Tekken_Guy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:30 am

While Andrew was never as powerful a storm as Allen was, it was far more destructive.

And yeah, Ida has the potential to be far worse than Isabel.

1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 am

With this I curse, I am willing to bet that next year, Ian is going to be a powerful Cat 4/5 hurricane that completely dwarfs Igor in impacts. :D
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby Tekken_Guy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:With this I curse, I am willing to bet that next year, Ian is going to be a powerful Cat 4/5 hurricane that completely dwarfs Igor in impacts. :D

Will it be worse than Ivan, though?

0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm

Isabelle < Ida
6 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Teban54 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:41 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Isabelle < Ida

Agree. While Ida might not be as meteorologically interesting as the Cat 5 annular Isabel, its impacts seem to be far worse and it had a more explosive RI phase too.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:08 pm

I remember this thread from long ago. Safe to say Ian is going to be a much worse storm, holistically, than Igor.
3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:With this I curse, I am willing to bet that next year, Ian is going to be a powerful Cat 4/5 hurricane that completely dwarfs Igor in impacts. :D

Jeez that aged scarily well.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:08 pm

You had to do it eh.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:23 pm

So what's next? Idalia becoming worse than Irma?
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Teban54 wrote:So what's next? Idalia becoming worse than Irma?

No no, 2023 will give us a surprise by pausing the I curse, with Idalia being a nothing burger in the open Atlantic. But then comes Harold, a high end Cat 5 that hits Miami head on and makes Andrew look like a baby :lol: :grr:
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:36 pm

I really feel ashamed for saying this. I'm genuinely sorry. :oops:
1 likes   

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby zal0phus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

No no, 2023 will give us a surprise by pausing the I curse, with Idalia being a nothing burger in the open Atlantic. But then comes Harold, a high end Cat 5 that hits Miami head on and makes Andrew look like a baby :lol: :grr:

Watch the I curse be beat out completely. Gert turns into a nightmarish colossus of a hurricane, meanwhile, Idalia forms for 6 hours near the Azores and disappears
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

Tekken_Guy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby Tekken_Guy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:15 pm

Yeah we don’t want to see Harold, Idalia, or Margot, or god forbid Katia be worse than the storms they replaced.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Teban54 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:16 pm

Tekken_Guy wrote:

Yeah we don’t want to see Harold, Idalia, or Margot, or god forbid Katia be worse than the storms they replaced.

I can already imagine the comparisons if Katia becomes Katrina 2.0...
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”