"Favorite" individual hurricanes?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

"Favorite" individual hurricanes?

#1 Postby zal0phus » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Again, "favorite" is a bad term since it gives the impression of enjoying the storm, but for lack of a better word, what are your favorite systems by personal interest?
For me it would have to be Irma or Michael. Irma was terrifying to track and was my "first" storm, and Michael was both a gripping freak event out of nowhere and its "personification" is one of my favorite characters in the story concept I'm working on.
1 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: "Favorite" individual hurricanes?

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Definitely gonna say Dorian. It was the first major hurricane that I tracked in-depth (I will never forget the second I saw the 185 mph/911 mbar advisory come out on NHC), and I will never forget how it barely scraped the Virginia coast (and my college even giving us a day off in case the storm actually hit us, which was the first year I was in college too). It also looked very visually appealing on satellite.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby zal0phus » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Definitely gonna say Dorian. It was the first major hurricane that I tracked in-depth (I will never forget the second I saw the 185 mph/911 mbar advisory come out on NHC), and I will never forget how it barely scraped the Virginia coast (and my college even giving us a day off in case the storm actually hit us, which was the first year I was in college too). It also looked very visually appealing on satellite.

Dorian is definitely a runner up for me, I remember my gf and I watched the landfall coverage together the first time she visited me at college. Both a fond memory there and the intensity just blew me away seeing it.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby aspen » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Sam is now one of my favorites, being an extremely intense and high ACE MDR long-tracker that never made landfall and stayed as harmless eye candy. The only reason it’s not my favorite is because the recon schedule on September 26th made me want to pull my hair out. Sam will be remembered as much for that abysmal recon timing/rescheduling as much as its huge ACE total.

Other than that it was fun to track.
6 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Teban54 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Epsilon 2020. I'll let pictures do the talk:
13 likes   

Hurricane2021
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby Hurricane2021 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:10 am

Hurricanes: Walaka, Dorian and Eta
Typhoons: Hagibis, Goni and Surigae
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:18 am

Ivan ;) It was better times for me(young and didn't have the sadness of the way things are now), but ivan also became a cat5 many times and was one of the few cape verde storms to curse the caribbean. Irma in a lot of ways comes close!
Runners up
Katrina
Irma
Charley
Wilma
Mitch
Micheal
Isabel
Last edited by Sciencerocks on Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby kevin » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:38 am

Since I started tracking in 2017:

Atlantic hurricanes: Irma, Dorian, Epsilon, Eta, Sam
Pacific hurricanes: Walaka, Lane
Typhoons: Goni, Surigae
Cyclones: Yasa, Amphan
Other: Ianos
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby Yellow Evan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:04 pm

Patricia.
1 likes   

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby Foxfires » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:47 am

Half of this list won't have any particular reasoning

For Atlantic Hurricanes:
-Ivan
-Irma
-Allen
-Gilbert

For Northeast Pacific Hurricanes:
-Ioke
-Genevieve
no Hurricane Patricia's not meant to be here watch me exclude it lol

For Typhoons:
-Rita '78
-Rita '72
-Forrest
-Meranti
-Haiyan (did a number on the ADT)
-Hagibis
-Tip

For Southwest Pacific TCs:
-Ron
-Susan
-Katrina

For South Indian Ocean TCs:
-Hyacinthe
-Gamede
-Denise
-Olivia
1 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Steve H. » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 am

Mitch (atl)
Linda (epic)
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:41 pm

After this season, I'm honestly going to have to change my "favorite" from Dorian to Ian. Dorian was definitely immensely powerful and quite thrilling and chilling to track, especially as it reached 185 mph. However, here's my explanation for why Ian is now my "favorite."

Not downplaying the horrors that Dorian caused to the Bahamas, but Ian was a shocking storm to track in of itself given how it rapidly intensified to a 155 mph, near Cat 5 monster, while setting its sights on a region of the CONUS that had been very lucky to escape major hurricane damages for nearly two decades. Not to mention, Ian's daytime landfall and direct hit on a densely populated corner of Florida made it a media sensation, even becoming the subject of many Tik Tok clips and YouTube video footage. I think of all the extremely bad hurricanes that have happened since 2015, Ian is probably the most well-documented of them given where and when it hit, and it will certainly go down as a storm that many will remember.

There's also a slim chance that Ian may end up as being more costly than storms like Ida or Harvey (I've heard insured losses were extremely high in that storm). While it may not take the cake as a "Cat 5" like Irma, Maria, Michael, or Dorian, Ian was definitely powerful and violent enough to make a lasting impression, and Ian will serve as a demonstration of what to sort of expect when a high-end Cat 4 or Cat 5 hurricane ends up landfalling over a major population center (hint: it's not pretty at all).
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#13 Postby Hurricane2022 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:37 pm

1st: Patricia
2nd: Sam
3rd: Surigae
4th: Noru (2022)
5th: Ian
1 likes   
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.
Sorry for the bad English sometimes!!!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby wxman57 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 am

Well, I started tracking hurricanes in 1961 with Carla, but Carla didn't affect me in Lafayette. The two that did affect me growing up are Hilda in '64 and Betsy in '65. Those two hurricanes sparked my interest in hurricanes. I remember during Hilda (I as 7 yrs old) we were all huddled in the living room on mattresses that evening. I was bored, so my father suggested that I go play with my electric train. When I got to my bedroom, I realized that there was a problem. The power had been out for hours.
5 likes   

wwizard
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#15 Postby wwizard » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:05 pm

Yeah, I don't know if favorite is the right word but for the purpose of the thread mine are Alicia, the 1st hurricane I'd ever been through, and Ike, the 1st and only time I've ever been in the eye.

My most "favorite" that didn't effect me directly has to be Wilma with all the intensity and intensification rate records it broke.
1 likes   
Alicia, Allison, Ike, Harvey

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:23 pm

Sam
The perfect Category 4 Fish storm!
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#17 Postby DioBrando » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:22 am

tropical depression 12-e, 2023
0 likes   
who can it be now
*du du du du du du*

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2