Was Wanda the last named storm of the 2021 season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:06 am

Yes, season is over
63%
No, there will be more formations
37%

Total votes: 30

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1 Postby cycloneye » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:06 am

Making this poll to see what the members think about the rest of the season until November 30th. Poll closes at 9:06 AM on Friday.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Was Wanda the last named storm of the 2021 season?

#2 Postby wxman57 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:29 am

With the exception of 1-3 more occluded lows being named by the Azores, the season is over. No more Caribbean, Gulf, or East U.S. Coast threats.
3 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby kevin » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am

Perhaps a 50/50 chance for another (S)TS or something, but I think that's it. I'd be very surprised if we still get a hurricane, let alone a major hurricane. If that occurs it would have to be in the WCar, but I think the chances for WCar development are already decreasing rapidly. The near-complete shutdown of the season after Sam is still one of the most astonishing things I've seen since I started tracking storms. I know we might've expected a bit too much since we had that insane late-season last year. But come on not even 1 hurricane in the entirety of October? If it wasn't for Wanda on October 31 there wouldn't even have been a TS forming in October. I think this late-season performed even below the most bearish expectations on the forum. But well, considering the rest of the season I still think it was a very interesting one to track (Sam especially). And it's probably for the best that we didn't have any WCar monsters this October considering the high damage that these kind of hurricanes often deal to CA. After Eta and Iota, I think everyone is glad that we didn't have a repeat of that in 2021.
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 am

To be fair, I think we'll see at least one more weak TS in the open Atlantic before 2022. Now, whatever happens going forward, researchers are definitely going to have to restudy what the living heck happened this year that not only caused the Atlantic to shut down early during a La Nina but also feature such a weak global pattern of cyclones. This is clearly not normal in any manner.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby al78 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:To be fair, I think we'll see at least one more weak TS in the open Atlantic before 2022. Now, whatever happens going forward, researchers are definitely going to have to restudy what the living heck happened this year that not only caused the Atlantic to shut down early during a La Nina but also feature such a weak global pattern of cyclones. This is clearly not normal in any manner.

There was a similar period in 2010 where there was very little tropical cyclone activity globally (and especially the NW Pacific), except possibly the Atlantic. That was a strong La Nina year though which tends to kill activity across the Pacific ocean. The strange thing about this year is that the Atlantic basin was almost dead in October with negative ENSO conditions, a bit like 2007. Last year we saw the effect of a strong La Nina on late season Atlantic activity.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:45 am

I'm going to say no for now, although I do think any remaining development will be in the subtropics, and we're probably looking at 1 maybe 2 more storms max before the season is done for good. I think 96L has a decent chance, and there may be 1 more that tries to get going sometime this month. I do think the Caribbean and Gulf are done for the year though.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Hammy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:01 pm

As 96L now looks fully extratropical, that was the last chance and I'll say it's likely over at this point.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby zhukm29 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Yes, it looks to be over - it's usually tough to see storms after November 15 even in the most active years, and 2021's late season track record doesn't help.

Only 1 named storm after September! The Atlantic really dropped the ball this year, but that's a good thing, especially after the craziness that was last year.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby aspen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:30 pm

I think a better question is, “were Wanda, Sandra, and Terry the last NS in the WPac/EPac/Natl this season”? The Atlantic might be shut off now, the EPac is definitely done, and model support for significant WPac development has slowly decreased as the time frame comes in.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:55 pm

Adria seems like a good name for a December storm...

(I don't know why, it just does. :) )
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby cycloneye » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Poll has closed with no more formations winning 19-11.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:21 am

Looks like Wanda sure is likely going to be the last NS of this year, and with us failing to reach the aux list. You would think that in a given year (especially a La Nina one), October and November would easily feature a combined total of at least 2 NSs, but apparently the enigmatic conditions this year made performing that typically simple feat nearly impossible. This just shows how unfavorable and strong the late season conditions this year were, and as I have mentioned it before, it seems like such conditions are even affecting the WPAC, NIO, and EPAC. For the WPAC to be unable to produce major strength October or November typhoons, that's just truly jaw-dropping.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”