Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU / NOAA up on the 4th at 11 AM EDT

#261 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:31 am

cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Phil did tell me his numbers today, but I cannot divulge them. I can tell you, though, that he either left them the same, lowered them, or raised them.

Drop a tiny hint, only tiny.

OK, a tiny hint. He's not raising his numbers.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU / NOAA up on the 4th at 11 AM EDT

#262 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:35 am

wxman57 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Phil did tell me his numbers today, but I cannot divulge them. I can tell you, though, that he either left them the same, lowered them, or raised them.

Good. Thank you.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#263 Postby toad strangler » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:44 am

cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Good. Thank you.

The nearly complete wasteland that July was combined with strong signs of a slow 1st half of August makes it nearly a given that there will be steps taken backwards. I don’t think there is any mystery at all there.

Now, what would be eye opening, is if there is a significant reduction in numbers due to what Mr Klotzbach is seeing for the post 8/20 peak season.
6 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#264 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am

toad strangler wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Good. Thank you.

The nearly complete wasteland that July was combined with strong signs of a slow 1st half of August makes it nearly a given that there will be steps taken backwards. I don’t think there is any mystery at all there.

Now, what would be eye opening, is if there is a significant reduction in numbers due to what Mr Klotzbach is seeing for the post 8/20 peak season.

One big reason to certainly not raise numbers is to consider the current state of the basin. Climatologically, we'd expect a sharp ramp-up in activity starting very soon. There's no sign of that. With only 3 named storms so far, and maybe no fourth named storm for another two weeks, it will be hard to reach the very high numbers. I would expected maybe 4-5 named storms by the beginning of August, and a strong signal for activity heating up very soon. We're not seeing that. Clearly, something is "off" out there across the tropics. Conditions are not as favorable as we thought they would be. I'm confident that conditions will become much more favorable by the second half of August, but that may be too late to generate 20 named storms or more. I'm seeing similarities to past seasons that featured significant impacts across the NE Gulf, Florida, and the East U.S. Coast. Less of a threat to Texas this year.
6 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#265 Postby SFLcane » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:31 am

wxman57 wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
Good. Thank you.

One big reason to certainly not raise numbers is to consider the current state of the basin. Climatologically, we'd expect a sharp ramp-up in activity starting very soon. There's no sign of that. With only 3 named storms so far, and maybe no fourth named storm for another two weeks, it will be hard to reach the very high numbers. I would expected maybe 4-5 named storms by the beginning of August, and a strong signal for activity heating up very soon. We're not seeing that. Clearly, something is "off" out there across the tropics. Conditions are not as favorable as we thought they would be. I'm confident that conditions will become much more favorable by the second half of August, but that may be too late to generate 20 named storms or more. I'm seeing similarities to past seasons that featured significant impacts across the NE Gulf, Florida, and the East U.S. Coast. Less of a threat to Texas this year.

:eek: :eek:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#266 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:06 pm

wxman57 wrote:One big reason to certainly not raise numbers is to consider the current state of the basin. Climatologically, we'd expect a sharp ramp-up in activity starting very soon. There's no sign of that. With only 3 named storms so far, and maybe no fourth named storm for another two weeks, it will be hard to reach the very high numbers. I would expected maybe 4-5 named storms by the beginning of August, and a strong signal for activity heating up very soon. We're not seeing that. Clearly, something is "off" out there across the tropics. Conditions are not as favorable as we thought they would be. I'm confident that conditions will become much more favorable by the second half of August, but that may be too late to generate 20 named storms or more. I'm seeing similarities to past seasons that featured significant impacts across the NE Gulf, Florida, and the East U.S. Coast. Less of a threat to Texas this year.

There has been a persistent 500mb weakness over the southeast US and Eastern Gulf, assisted by the central-western ridge. Larry did an analysis of historical ENSO like analogs and it too suggests a higher risk for the EGOM/NGOM. You can see this on daily satellite loops with convection in the mentioned regions. Path of least resistance.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#267 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:09 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU / NOAA up on the 4th at 11 AM EDT

#268 Postby skyline385 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:11 pm

cycloneye wrote:A hint for his forecast on Thursday?

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1554514285849505792

Lol came here just to post that, Phil posting teasers now!

Am surprised tbh temps are higher than 2021.
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#269 Postby SoupBone » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
Good. Thank you.

I know it only takes one to sneak in, for those that will reply with this, but you've been consistent with this forecast. Maybe a separate Texas thread for a deeper explanation? I don't want to derail this one, unless discussing it here is ok.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#270 Postby NotSparta » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 pm

skyline385 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:A hint for his forecast on Thursday?

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1554514285849505792

Lol came here just to post that, Phil posting teasers now!

Am surprised tbh temps are higher than 2021.

Not really a surprise. Last year there was warmth to the north and south but the MDR was cooler than average for the most part. This year there is that cool strip but mostly in the subtropics. There's still a decent band of warmth in the MDR
4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#271 Postby Nimbus » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:41 pm

SoupBone suggested
Maybe a separate Texas thread for a deeper explanation?

Texas gets the early low riders that don't recurve do to seasonal TUTT/SAL conditions.
Season often ends early for Texas while the more memorable major hurricane that made landfall near Tarpon Springs FL in October 1921 came later in the season. So climo suggests that if the late season is going to be active this year it will be recurving storms..
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: August 4=CSU at 10 AM EDT / NOAA at 11 AM EDT

#272 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:31 am

CSU changed the time of release tommorow and will be at 10 AM EDT while NOAA will be at 11 AM EDT.

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1554851805783212035

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1554852024864215040

1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: August 4=CSU at 10 AM EDT / NOAA at 11 AM EDT

#273 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:01 am

18-8-4 or 18-9-4 ace around 160-165 is my call for phil tomorrow.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#274 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
CSU on August 4 at 11 AM EDT.

That's right when my dental appointment is. Maybe the hygienist can be about 5 minutes late? :lol:

At least you can see now the CSU one.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#275 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:33 pm

CSU will also release tommorow the two week forecast.

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1554873986537779200

3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Today=CSU at 10 AM EDT / NOAA at 11 AM EDT

#276 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:27 am

The day all were waiting for has arrived to see what changes CSU and NOAA may have to their forecasts.
4 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#277 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:05 am

SFLcane wrote:18-8-4 or 18-9-4 ace around 160-165 is my call for phil tomorrow.

I will confirm that you are within 4 for each of those values.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Today=CSU at 10 AM EDT / NOAA at 11 AM EDT

#278 Postby AutoPenalti » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am

19/8/4 ACE 160 is my call

Still active, but lowered from July's outlook.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#279 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 am

AutoPenalti wrote:19/8/4 ACE 160 is my call

Those are my new numbers, down from 22/9/5.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#280 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 am

wxman57 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:19/8/4 ACE 160 is my call

Those are my new numbers, down from 22/9/5.

Either way you slice it thats a pretty big season especially considering we have yet to have any hurricanes. "Could" get very busy
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”