Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#81 Postby skyline385 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:41 am

wxman57 wrote:I was talking with Phil Klotzbach the other day. New data is even more bullish on seasonal activity, indicating ACE of 170-190. One think to look for is whether the current drought in TX/LA continues into July. That would be good for people there, as hurricane activity may shift east of Louisiana this year.

Considering 2020 had an ACE of 180, that's not looking good. It's also against the current theory that there will be a lot of shorties because of the warm sub tropics.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#82 Postby NotSparta » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:53 am

wxman57 wrote:I was talking with Phil Klotzbach the other day. New data is even more bullish on seasonal activity, indicating ACE of 170-190. One think to look for is whether the current drought in TX/LA continues into July. That would be good for people there, as hurricane activity may shift east of Louisiana this year.

Have to wonder what the experts see, there seems to be even more bullishness surrounding the season than 2020 but the conditions aren't quite all there it seems unlike 2020. Perhaps the -NAO will change that but it is definitely interesting to see everyone going high end
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:06 am

If you are under some NDAs that prevent you from telling us why, you do not have to answer, but why is an ACE between 170 and 190 expected?

Also, if that verifies, all I can say is yikes! :eek: By modern averages, an ACE of 190 would correlate to ~27 named storms.
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:

If you are under some NDAs that prevent you from telling us why, you do not have to answer, but why is an ACE between 170 and 190 expected?

Also, if that verifies, all I can say is yikes! :eek: By modern averages, an ACE of 190 would correlate to ~27 named storms.

Yeah I echo your curiosity too; I wonder what specific reasons Phil decided to up the ACE prediction to that level. Because that is quite a major and potentially dire prediction, and I am very interested to know the rationale behind this!
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Season

#85 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:31 pm

And yet, another forecaster upped his numbers from 16/9/3 to 21/9/4 and that is Rob Lightborn of crownweather services. See here.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Season

#86 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:06 pm

cycloneye wrote:And yet, another forecaster upped his numbers from 16/9/3 to 21/9/4 and that is Rob Lightborn of crownweather services. See here.

It looks like he has explained his rationale in the prediction poll thread; personally, I have to say that assuming the MDR does have a very favorable net warmup within the next 2-3 months and given the fact that Africa already looks convectively active and that this season will begin in solid La Nina territory, I do agree where he is going.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby SFLcane » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Question for us lucky in Florida do you believe this potentially ends this year? Also can you share some of this new data? Ssts certainly don’t support anything in that range as of yet.
Last edited by SFLcane on Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby SFLcane » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:09 pm

What did Crownweather predict last April? Curious
0 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby crownweather » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:39 pm

SFLcane wrote:What did Crownweather predict last April? Curious

Here is my graphic that I posted last year for the 2021 Hurricane Season.

5 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:50 pm

crownweather wrote:
SFLcane wrote:What did Crownweather predict last April? Curious

Here is my graphic that I posted last year for the 2021 Hurricane Season.

https://i.imgur.com/6h5qQG4.png

Oh wow, you really nailed that major hurricane number! Also it looks like you underestimated the NS total but did only one over the number of hurricanes! Wow, for a pre-season forecast, you really did 2021 well.
1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#91 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:09 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to shut the door on Texas and Louisiana. I do agree that the drought will play a part in this season, but it's not just Texas and Louisiana that will play a part. Let's first compare April 2011 and the current drought. I like comparing to 2011 because it was a case of a lid being placed on the western Gulf for the most part.

Immediately you can see that in 2011 the drought was focused over the Southern Plains and U.S Southwest. Now let's look at the drought heading into July.

Again the drought was focused on the Southern Plains, Southwest, and Southeast. This made the Southern Plains a favorable spot for the ridge to sit on top for the Summer and keep the western Gulf clear. The Southern Plains would be the focus of the drought through the rest of the Summer. Now let's look back at the current drought again.

The entire western U.S is under drought right now and the only area CPC expects improvement is southern Arizona. This suggests that the ridge will be placed over the western U.S at times this Summer, which will leave Texas and Louisiana open for landfalls assuming all other conditions are met. There will be times where the ridge does park over the Plains, but I don't think it will be nearly as dominant as 2011. Additionally there will likely be times where we see the western ridge and Bermuda ridge bridge together, which can actually make parts of the Texas coast and Mexico locations where landfalls could occur. These are just my thoughts on how the 500mb pattern will play out this Summer, but it's definitely way to early to be hopeful about storms going east of the western Gulf states.
12 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby skyline385 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:18 am

Didnt see the UA report shared here but they are predicting only slightly above average for this season with an ACE of 129 which is less than what they predicted for 2021.

https://news.arizona.edu/story/experts- ... ve-average

Something to note here though, UA were actually slightly better or tied with CSU for predicting no. of named storms from 2019-2021 which is pretty good performance from their model which only started in 2014.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:31 am

skyline385 wrote:Didnt see the UA report shared here but they are predicting only slightly above average for this season with an ACE of 129 which is less than what they predicted for 2021.

Something to note here though, UA were actually slightly better or tied with CSU for predicting no. of named storms from 2019-2021 which is pretty good performance from their model which only started in 2014.

Are there any unfavorable factors that they are considering for this to be the case though? From my understanding we seem to be quite ahead of 2021, especially when looking at overall sst anomalies (by this time of the year for example, 2021 had a warm subtropics and Nino region but cool MDR region, while that is not the case this year, let alone us being in a third year La Niña)
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby skyline385 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:40 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Didnt see the UA report shared here but they are predicting only slightly above average for this season with an ACE of 129 which is less than what they predicted for 2021.

Are there any unfavorable factors that they are considering for this to be the case though? From my understanding we seem to be quite ahead of 2021, especially when looking at overall sst anomalies (by this time of the year for example, 2021 had a warm subtropics and Nino region but cool MDR region, while that is not the case this year, let alone us being in a third year La Niña)

Gotta remember, they ran their model before the recent warming of the MDR when the SSTs were anomalously cool. But obviously its only April and there is still plenty of time, the recent warming could just be temporary.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#95 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:43 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:

There's still the MDR being cooler than the subtropics, but that's moreso just a cap on the season which would prevent a really hyperactive season. Wish they'd provide a bit more methodology so we could see what they are seeing
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby skyline385 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am

NotSparta wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

There's still the MDR being cooler than the subtropics, but that's moreso just a cap on the season which would prevent a really hyperactive season. Wish they'd provide a bit more methodology so we could see what they are seeing

I found their brief report of the 2021 season which talks about their methodology, am curious though why there isn't a report available yet for the 2022 season.

https://has.arizona.edu/sites/default/f ... recast.pdf
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Texas hurricane word press up

#97 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 03, 2022 9:56 am

Read the Texas Hurricane word press forecast at the bottom of the list at first post.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

hurricane2025
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Texas hurricane word press is up

#98 Postby hurricane2025 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:00 am

Lol stupid 14-21 storms lol just say 18-21 why such a wide margin
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Expert forecasts for 2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: Texas hurricane word press is up

#99 Postby wxman57 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:04 am

hurricane2025 wrote:Lol stupid 14-21 storms lol just say 18-21 why such a wide margin

Because the forecast is for 17.5 named storms, +/- one standard deviation.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#100 Postby wxman57 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:05 am

New ECMWF June-November seasonal forecast is out. EC dropped named storms from 18.8 to 16. Hurricanes dropped to 8 from 9.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”