Will El Niño affect the peak of the 2022 ATL season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Will El Niño develop in time to affect the peak of the 2022 ATL season?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:36 pm

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 24

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Will El Niño affect the peak of the 2022 ATL season?

#1 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:21 pm

Moderators, please turn this thread into a poll with the following:

Header – “Will El Niño develop in time to affect the peak of the 2022 ATL season?”
Options – Yes, No

I am voting no.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Will El Niño affect the peak of the 2022 ATL season?

#2 Postby cycloneye » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Made a poll that will be open until January 3 at 1:36 PM EDT.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#3 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:17 pm

yes. watch it be above-average regardless
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Teban54 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:39 pm

While it's definitely too early to tell, IMO a 2012- or 2018-esque season, where an El Nino fails to develop or only does so too late to impact the season, is more likely than a season like 2014 where a late-developing El Nino still creates atmospheric conditions that shut down the season.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:47 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:yes. watch it be above-average regardless

Lol, watch 2022 pull a 2004 or 1969 Modoki El Nino style trick and have the Atlantic undergo hyperdrive :D
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby tolakram » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm surprised so many are saying no. There is no skill this far out so in reality we don't know. :D I voted YES, just wanted to go on record to see how this turns out. In reality I have NO clue.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby FireRat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Gonna say No.
While making these kinds of predictions are not technically possible this far out, I'd say the odds favor a no. We would have to see a massive flip from the La Niña that we're in now in short order for there to be consequences for the 2022 peak season imo.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby ncforecaster89 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:27 am

I suspect the highest probability will feature a warm Neutral ENSO phase…which will likely provide a mitigating effect on seasonal ACE.

Consequently, I voted “yes” in the poll as a prospective warm phase (albeit not an El Nino) would likely precede an El Niño that’ll transpire after the ASO tri-monthly.

In order of highest probabilities:

Warm Neutral …… 35%
El Niño………………. 25%
Cool Neutral…….. 20%
La Niña…………….. 10%
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:29 am

ncforecaster89 wrote:I suspect the highest probability will feature a warm Neutral ENSO phase…which will likely provide a mitigating effect on seasonal ACE.

Consequently, I voted “yes” in the poll as a prospective warm phase (albeit not an El Nino) would likely precede an El Niño that’ll transpire after the ASO tri-monthly.

In order of highest probabilities:

Warm Neutral …… 35%
El Niño………………. 25%
Cool Neutral…….. 20%
La Niña…………….. 10%

Interestingly though, while warm neutral does not tend to favor as active of seasons as La Nina/cool neutral would, there are quite a few notable warm neutral years that featured at least one extremely powerful and destructive Atlantic hurricane. It's also important to note that historically since at least 1950, years that are warm neutral tend to be relatively uncommon compared to years that are La Nina, cool neutral, or El Nino (so the sample size is not great but the best we have). Consider the warm neutral years 1960, 1990, 1993, 2003, 2012, and 2019 for example. With the exception of 1990 and 1993, 1960 had Donna, 2003 had Isabel, 2012 had Sandy, and 2019 had Dorian. It remains to be seen what ENSO state 2022 will be, but assuming an El Nino fails to develop, given the relative infrequent occurrence of years that stay in warm neutral territory, I'm personally leaning more toward dead or cool neutral as a likelier outcome.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby aspen » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:20 am

I said yes, partially because the Atlantic is way overdue, but also because a cool ENSO is looking less and less likely for next year. I don’t think a total shutdown of the Atlantic is likely in 2022, though; maybe a closer-to-average season of 12-15 NS and 90-120 ACE could result from the end of the -ENSO and a transition to neutral or warm-neutral.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 pm

Probably not.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:38 pm

Looks like those who voted "no" are going to be correct. Quite unfortunate for Atlantic dwellers. :eek:
0 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby ncforecaster89 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:48 pm

Still see no reason to amend my expectation of warm Neutral conditions for the ASO tri-monthly. I put very little faith in computer model data at this range. If I’m incorrect, I suspect it will be low-end cool Neutral transitioning to warm
Neutral by winter.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:47 am

ncforecaster89 wrote:Still see no reason to amend my expectation of warm Neutral conditions for the ASO tri-monthly. I put very little faith in computer model data at this range. If I’m incorrect, I suspect it will be low-end cool Neutral transitioning to warm
Neutral by winter.

It's not even computer models. It's observed sustained trade bursts and upwelling going on over the equatorial Pacific.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 am

ncforecaster89 wrote:Still see no reason to amend my expectation of warm Neutral conditions for the ASO tri-monthly. I put very little faith in computer model data at this range. If I’m incorrect, I suspect it will be low-end cool Neutral transitioning to warm
Neutral by winter.

It's honestly going to take a colossal bust with the vast majority of models for even a warm neutral to pan out by then. Many of them are vehemently clustering in the -ENSO territory, so this consistency has to indicate at least something, and that something, imho, does not look too bright for +ENSO
0 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby ncforecaster89 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:41 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Neutral by winter.

It's honestly going to take a colossal bust with the vast majority of models for even a warm neutral to pan out by then. Many of them are vehemently clustering in the -ENSO territory, so this consistency has to indicate at least something, and that something, imho, does not look too bright for +ENSO

I’ll clarify my previous comment by simply stating that it’s simply too early to make any definitive predictions on what ENSO state will ultimately manifest itself by the ASO time interval. I don’t anticipate EL Nino, but still personally expect a warm Neutral phase by the peak months of this upcoming hurricane season.

There have been numerous examples of a similar intensity La Niña switching to either a warm Neutral or El Niño at this particular range.
2006, 2009, 2012, and 2018 being the most recent examples.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby SFLcane » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:34 am

A big fat NO on that. If the season is hampered it won’t be due to ENSO.
0 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:49 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
Neutral by winter.

I’ll clarify my previous comment by simply stating that it’s simply too early to make any definitive predictions on what ENSO state will ultimately manifest itself by the ASO time interval. I don’t anticipate EL Nino, but still personally expect a warm Neutral phase by the peak months of this upcoming hurricane season.

There have been numerous examples of a similar intensity La Niña switching to either a warm Neutral or El Niño at this particular range.
2006, 2009, 2012, and 2018 being the most recent examples.

I would say that La Nina is favored as of now, but we cannot say anything for certain. While the -SOI that is expected to continue will make +ENSO more difficult, we could see a reversal in April (2010 and 2016 went from a strong -SOI to a strong +SOI in the spring).
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Guys there will be no El Nino for 2022.

Look at what's happening in the ENSO thread.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:09 am

Kingarabian wrote:Guys there will be no El Nino for 2022.

Look at what's happening in the ENSO thread.

You know, I actually think the chance that a mega asteroid hits Earth tomorrow and wipes humans all out is higher than an El Nino for 2022 :D
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”