2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1321 Postby SFLcane » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:32 am

4 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1322 Postby SFLcane » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am

:sick:

9 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#1323 Postby weeniepatrol » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:39 am

Ladies and gentlemen.. fasten your seatbelts.

8 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1324 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:25 am

Indeed we need to fasten our seatbelts, this not your typical UL set up in late June across the Caribbean.

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1325 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:15 pm

So far this season wind shear across the Caribbean is lower than this same time last year. In 2020 there was a TUTT creating shear east of the Lesser Antilles.
Definitely a season that the Caribbean needs to prepare for if conditions persist.

4 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1326 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 pm

Apparently Mother Nature tore a few too many pages off her calendar and thinks it's September. :lol:
3 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1327 Postby SFLcane » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:14 pm

Wave behind 94L has become convectively active and looking quite interesting.

2 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1328 Postby crownweather » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:25 pm

SFLcane wrote:Wave behind 94L has become convectively active and looking quite interesting.

https://i.postimg.cc/4yYxDzPT/6-FD25667-5-D7-E-4-EB6-9-A0-D-845-C521627-AA.gif

Wouldn't that be something to have three Invests in late June. (Invest 94-L, wave right behind 94L and the Gulf of Mexico system).
2 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1329 Postby SFLcane » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pm

NDG wrote:So far this season wind shear across the Caribbean is lower than this same time last year. In 2020 there was a TUTT creating shear east of the Lesser Antilles.
Definitely a season that the Caribbean needs to prepare for if conditions persist.

https://i.imgur.com/00c3XDZ.gif
https://i.imgur.com/W5fA0iX.gif
https://i.imgur.com/Tm2gP70.gif

Curious what it looks like in a month.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1330 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 pm

I think the middle of July will be slow since the MJO wont be favorable. The ICON model was trying to develop the second wave
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1331 Postby crownweather » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:08 pm

SFLcane wrote:
NDG wrote:So far this season wind shear across the Caribbean is lower than this same time last year. In 2020 there was a TUTT creating shear east of the Lesser Antilles.

As I wrote in my Crown Weather tropical discussion earlier today -

It should be noted and emphasized that an active deep tropical central and eastern Atlantic (the area between Africa and the Lesser Antilles) like we are seeing now this early in the season is ALWAYS a precursor to an extremely active August, September and October.
7 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1332 Postby NotSparta » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:35 pm

crownweather wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

It should be noted and emphasized that an active deep tropical central and eastern Atlantic (the area between Africa and the Lesser Antilles) like we are seeing now this early in the season is ALWAYS a precursor to an extremely active August, September and October.

Not in 2013 :P
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1333 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:42 pm

What a contrast from 2016-2021. This, if I am seeing this correctly, is the first time in a while where the Atlantic subtropics were modestly cooler than normal and the deep tropics modestly warmer than normal. Even 2017 and 2020 at this point in time did not feature such a widespread, cool subtropics, which honestly amazes me. In the past several seasons, I specifically recall how people were speculating about how the warm subtropics could rob instability from the MDR and how the warm subtropics could have been a culprit in the relative stability seen in the MDR during peak season, but this year, that does not seem like an issue one bit.

At this point, I am genuinely wondering if we're in for not only a rough and active season but also a season that features a ferocious level of hurricane activity specifically concentrated in the deep tropics. In other words, no Florences or Dorians as worst-case scenarios but rather Ivans and Allens.
6 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#1334 Postby Nimbus » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:44 pm

crownweather wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Wave behind 94L has become convectively active and looking quite interesting.

https://i.postimg.cc/4yYxDzPT/6-FD25667-5-D7-E-4-EB6-9-A0-D-845-C521627-AA.gif

Wouldn't that be something to have three Invests in late June. (Invest 94-L, wave right behind 94L and the Gulf of Mexico system).

By gulf of Mexico system do you mean the tail end of the cold front dipping south off Texas is expected to spawn something? Was this in a Two? I missed it.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1335 Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 pm

NotSparta wrote:
crownweather wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

I don't recall these sort of waves in 2013, in fact there was a lot of talk about how much drier than normal the MDR was most of early summer.
5 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#1336 Postby WiscoWx02 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:https://i.imgur.com/GyAxP97.png

What a contrast from 2016-2021. This, if I am seeing this correctly, is the first time in a while where the Atlantic subtropics were modestly cooler than normal and the deep tropics modestly warmer than normal. Even 2017 and 2020 at this point in time did not feature such a widespread, cool subtropics, which honestly amazes me. In the past several seasons, I specifically recall how people were speculating about how the warm subtropics could rob instability from the MDR and how the warm subtropics could have been a culprit in the relative stability seen in the MDR during peak season, but this year, that does not seem like an issue one bit.

At this point, I am genuinely wondering if we're in for not only a rough and active season but also a season that features a ferocious level of hurricane activity specifically concentrated in the deep tropics. In other words, no Florences or Dorians as worst-case scenarios but rather Ivans and Allens.

This SSTA configuration…..big yikes :eek: Honestly kinda reminds me of the 2005 configuration at this point as much as I hate to say it. 2005 was slightly warmer but still…the cooler subtropics is unlike anything we have seen in many years. Not a good sign at all.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1337 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:48 pm

NotSparta wrote:
crownweather wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

In 2013 the first African wave that tried to develop wasn't until July 7th and wasn't a storm until the 10th...then it went poof as did almost everything in the deep tropics that year due to very dry air. That isn't the case this year.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1338 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:50 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:https://i.imgur.com/GyAxP97.png

This SSTA configuration…..big yikes :eek: Honestly kinda reminds me of the 2005 configuration at this point as much as I hate to say it. 2005 was slightly warmer but still…the cooler subtropics is unlike anything we have seen in many years. Not a good sign at all.

Cooler subtropics focuses the upward motion in the deep tropics. Watch how through the season the MJO will try to stay in phases 1-3 after July.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#1339 Postby boca » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:52 pm

What does phase 1-3 mean for activity after July?
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1340 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:53 pm

boca wrote:What does phase 1-3 mean for activity after July?

A very busy season with upward motion staying in the Atlantic basin. If what I have seen in the past is any indication, the MJO will go heavily into 4 and 5 in July then zip through 6 and make a b-line for 1 in late July/August. 2017 was like that...it was crazy then it seemed to just stop for a while in mid Oct
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”