2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2781 Postby WiscoWx02 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Models are probably adjusting to the rising motion shifting from the EPAC to the Atlantic.

For the sake of all the forecasts in early August and for Phil Klotzbach and his team…I certainly hope so. Don’t want to see what happened to them in 2013 happen again.

Not comparing this year to 2013 but I’m sure you all know what I mean.
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2782 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:10 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:I’ve said before, if this season does end up busting, the strong and 3rd year La Niña is to blame (especially 3rd year). Data is very limited with 3rd year La Niña , but the the few years we have produced a slightly above average to below average season (Ace wise) .. In terms of Strong La Niña, usually above average seasons that are below hyperactivity

Yeah historically 3rd year La Nina’d aren’t overly friendly to the Atlantic that’s for sure.

2000 was a good example of this. Activity was pretty uneven, and while it started earlier with the Cabo Verde storms, we had nothing the first third of the season save for two depressions in June.

Alberto was the only really long lived storm in August--Chris and Debby were taken out by the TUTT (most of us remember the Debby forecast debacle) and Beryl underperformed in the Gulf, and then we had another nearly three weeks of nothing--which only ended with two low-end Cat 1 hurricanes--before getting to the real meat of the season, which didn't start until September 21 when Helene was named and Isaac formed, and that was when we got the real meat of the season, which lasted into late October.

Edit: forgot about Ernesto in early September that lasted two days, also taken out by the TUTT.

CFS output aside from the one sour run seems to be showing something similar--it's not entirely out of the question to go the rest of August (or at least close to) without another tropical storm, at least in the MDR, and then there's two distinct bursts of activity--one ending in mid-September, the other starting in late September and lasting into October
5 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#2783 Postby aspen » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:02 pm

Hammy wrote:
WiscoWx02 wrote:
Deshaunrob17 wrote:I’ve said before, if this season does end up busting, the strong and 3rd year La Niña is to blame (especially 3rd year). Data is very limited with 3rd year La Niña , but the the few years we have produced a slightly above average to below average season (Ace wise) .. In terms of Strong La Niña, usually above average seasons that are below hyperactivity

Yeah historically 3rd year La Nina’d aren’t overly friendly to the Atlantic that’s for sure.

2000 was a good example of this. Activity was pretty uneven, and while it started earlier with the Cabo Verde storms, we had nothing the first third of the season save for two depressions in June.

Alberto was the only really long lived storm in August--Chris and Debby were taken out by the TUTT (most of us remember the Debby forecast debacle) and Beryl underperformed in the Gulf, and then we had another nearly three weeks of nothing--which only ended with two low-end Cat 1 hurricanes--before getting to the real meat of the season, which didn't start until September 21 when Helene was named and Isaac formed, and that was when we got the real meat of the season, which lasted into late October.

Edit: forgot about Ernesto in early September that lasted two days, also taken out by the TUTT.

CFS output aside from the one sour run seems to be showing something similar--it's not entirely out of the question to go the rest of August (or at least close to) without another tropical storm, at least in the MDR, and then there's two distinct bursts of activity--one ending in mid-September, the other starting in late September and lasting into October

It would be extremely abnormal for there to be zero NS in August. A strong third year Nina wouldn’t be able to explain that. The last time August had zero storms was in 1997, during a strong El Niño.

Maybe nothing forms in the MDR, but the entire basin being shut off for August would indicate some other negative factors we haven’t noticed yet. I’m doubtful my vote of 4 NS verifies, though.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#2784 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:41 pm

aspen wrote:
Hammy wrote:
WiscoWx02 wrote:

It would be extremely abnormal for there to be zero NS in August. A strong third year Nina wouldn’t be able to explain that. The last time August had zero storms was in 1997, during a strong El Niño.

Maybe nothing forms in the MDR, but the entire basin being shut off for August would indicate some other negative factors we haven’t noticed yet. I’m doubtful my vote of 4 NS verifies, though.

1961 also had nothing in August. I'm not saying it will happen, but there's probably a good 20-30% chance--given it appears the waves will exit farther north than normal (based on the models it appears there's still too much interaction with the abnormally strong monsoon trough) the chances are at least higher than in normal, especially factoring in how difficult a time the subtropics have had at producing storms.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2785 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Next 7 days will tell us a lot, if the switch is going to flip the GFS/EURO has to start sniffing out development in the 10-16 day range starting in the next few days. If we have to wait until Sept I predict we get maybe 5-7 hurricanes and @15 total storms.
4 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2786 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Neither will do anything in the 10 to 15 in my opinion, it will only show up under 10 days. We've seen this before and I think it will be the same this year. Look more west and under 10 days.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2787 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:25 pm

FYI= Made the September poll for the members to vote until August 31. 10 members are on the driver seat between 0 and two named storms in the August poll.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2788 Postby Blown Away » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:14 pm

For a few days the GFS keeps showing a strong TW moving through NE Caribbean, Bahamas, and near SFL @Aug 27th. A few ensembles show a Cat 2/3 hurricane on some runs. I think this is an area to focus on in the MDR.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#2789 Postby Stormybajan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm

A week from now will tell us a lot. August 20th is ringing of the Bell date aka the start of the PEAK season. If in 7 days the models are still as they are right now, some very serious questions will need to be asked. Also I know most people hate ACE but not me, idk lol ACE to me can be a reliable method of looking back at previous seasons and seeing how intense and long lasting the tropical systems that particular year were. I know the land impacting storms matter most but I would LOVE another Hurricane Sam in 2022 to stare at, just as a reminder that the Atlantic can produce monsters like any other basin when conditions are perfect 8-)
6 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2790 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 pm

4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2791 Postby AtlanticWind » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:41 am

What we havent seen yet is many of those massive waves rolling off Africa, dont know what the reason is
but expect that will change shortly.
0 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2792 Postby AtlanticWind » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:47 am

Also sticking to the idea we will see a massive switch flip in about a week.
Betting a big peak season..... we shall see 8-)
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#2793 Postby skyline385 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:54 am

AtlanticWind wrote:What we havent seen yet is many of those massive waves rolling off Africa, dont know what the reason is
but expect that will change shortly.

There are tons of massive waves propagating through Africa, the issue is that the dry air kills them off as soon as they get into the Atlantic.

https://twitter.com/DCAreaWx/status/1558214699954601987

2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#2794 Postby Hammy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:06 am

AtlanticWind wrote:Also sticking to the idea we will see a massive switch flip in about a week.
Betting a big peak season..... we shall see 8-)

Orientation of the monsoon trough over Africa needs to change first--that'll be a slower process than the switch flip. I still feel we'll be largely quiet (save for any short-notice homegrown system that might pop up) until early September and then things will take off after that.
0 likes   

ThomasW
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2795 Postby ThomasW » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 am

WiscoWx02 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Models are probably adjusting to the rising motion shifting from the EPAC to the Atlantic.

For the sake of all the forecasts in early August and for Phil Klotzbach and his team…I certainly hope so. Don’t want to see what happened to them in 2013 happen again.

Not comparing this year to 2013 but I’m sure you all know what I mean.

Probably won't be quite that bad of a bust but <100 ACE would not shock me at all. Floor is maybe 80, ceiling 140
0 likes   

ThomasW
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2796 Postby ThomasW » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:55 am

WiscoWx02 wrote:

The MJO has arrived and there isn’t even a messy monsoon trough to speak of over the Atlantic. I’m honestly at a loss…by the end of the week, I think we are going to find out if the even the near average hurricane forecast are in jeopardy or not. :eek:

Maybe something like 11/4/2
0 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#2797 Postby WiscoWx02 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:05 am

ThomasW wrote:
WiscoWx02 wrote:

The MJO has arrived and there isn’t even a messy monsoon trough to speak of over the Atlantic. I’m honestly at a loss…by the end of the week, I think we are going to find out if the even the near average hurricane forecast are in jeopardy or not. :eek:

Maybe something like 11/4/2

You mean 2015? The year with a super El Nino? :lol: Of course you could be right, who knows, either this season is going to bust majorily or be the ultimate troll…we shall see.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2798 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:59 am

Wow, it sure feels so nice yet strange to be back on this forum after 2 weeks...thanks so much for the support folks; my health is still not 100% perfect but has definitely been improving recently. I'll hopefully be more frequent on here by around the coming weeks or so.

Anyways, so I've been briefly combing over what I've missed out on so far and....all I have to say is, yikes. There's clearly some huge head-scratching and confusion about what is happening. We're just 6 days away from the bell-ringing date, and by then it would surely be interesting to see what models have to say by then. At this point I am starting to think that NS count is highly likely going to be lower than 20 (probably 15-17 as a reasonable max estimate); however, we are still nevertheless far from the dangerous months of September and October (and by then, one would plausibly think that the La Nina forcing and climo would help to charge the Atlantic).

Now here's what I think: I am still on the belief that we will see at least a couple NSs form by August 31. Now it's really important to understand that especially in a period like August, quiet periods like this don't necessarily mean "bust" season. As we have seen with years like 1961, 1988 (seems like hammy likes this year), 1998, 1999, and 2019, August quiet periods (and I mean quiet as in zero NSs, not weak TSs) do tend to correlate with heightened periods of activity thereafter. On a rather unusual note, 2013 was actually featuring NSs in August; clearly, what we're seeing now is exactly not that :D . Now it remains to be seen what this year will do, but imho, seeing a season that takes off late month (especially when the EPAC should surely be dead by then with the sinking air) would not be all that surprising.

Now I believe it looks like one of the moderators has recently shared the tweet, but Dylan Federico actually makes a very intriguing point that I cannot help but agree with, at least for now. With how dead the WPAC is and how the EPAC has really started to wind down, it would be expected that the Atlantic would eventually take over and dominate. Now if that fails to happen, then we're basically talking about all 3 major Northern Hemisphere basins being quiet by the month's end or so. Is this even physically possible? That's a question that I personally have, as I am under the assumption that air would need to rise somewhere in the tropics in a given year, especially in August of all months. Judging by history, such an event would be rather exceptionally odd, as it seems like the last time in history a storm of at least Cat 4 strength failed to form in August across all 3 of those basins was in 1991. I mean, it doesn't seem like the WPAC and EPAC produced any beautiful majors as of this month either.

Anyways, the point of my long rant is, I think it's still worthwhile to stay vigilant, as you may never know as the models would simply be trying to adjust to the incoming favorable CCKW/MJO for the Atlantic (at least based on the recent GFS runs, it seems like the WPAC and EPAC are essentially shut down).
15 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2799 Postby Blown Away » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:44 am

Now we are only half way in August, but the only year I could find since 2000 was 2013 that had as dry of an August in SFL as current August 2022. Not that SFL rainfall speaks for the basin’s activity, but it is indicative of dust and the lack of moist TW’s moving through.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2800 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:24 pm

Blown Away wrote:

Now we are only half way in August, but the only year I could find since 2000 was 2013 that had as dry of an August in SFL as current August 2022. Not that SFL rainfall speaks for the basin’s activity, but it is indicative of dust and the lack of moist TW’s moving through.

Dust has nothing to do a lot of times with an extended period of dry wx.
Is dry the mid level conditions that keep coming down from the Atlantic mid latitudes into the MDR and then track westward with or without dust being present in the lower atmosphere.
Even since Tuesday it has been fairly dusty here in the Orlando area but it has been fairly wet all this time.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”