2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2961 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:31 am

"2022 is a very interesting year that will likely be studied in more detail.... "
Still waiting on the studies that explain what happened to the backend of last season.

Perhaps SON is the new ASO.
Last edited by Spacecoast on Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2962 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:33 am

1 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#2963 Postby weeniepatrol » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:09 am

aspen wrote:The next 10 days are going to make or break this season. If we don’t see an uptick in activity in the deep tropics by the end of the month, then the uptick probably won’t come. I’m not aware of any active season that starting going after September 1st.

2001? 9 hurricanes, 4 majors, all after the second week of September

Last edited by weeniepatrol on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2964 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:18 am

Spacecoast wrote:"2022 is a very interesting year that will likely be studied in more detail.... "
Still waiting on the studies that explain what happened to the backend of last season.

Perhaps SON is the new ASO.

MJO backed off. Models showed it was headed for 2/3 but didn’t get there. Last years signaling was important.
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2965 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:23 am

I'm still focused on the western half of the basin, CV storms are never that frequent and looking to the east to start activity is rarely correct. All these waves are making it further and further west and I do believe we only get strong reliable development signals at 5 days or less.

You know what will happen if we expect to get out of August with no development.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#2966 Postby skyline385 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:08 pm

CPC continuing to track the potential MDR system.

1 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#2967 Postby Emmett_Brown » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:33 am

3 likes   

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#2968 Postby MarioProtVI » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:56 am

I’m starting to have serious doubts this season is anything active. With 04L likely busting and the models being pessimistic about future activity I’m wondering if the peak will be anything notable at all. 2 ACE in late August is just baffling. Something is definitely up that is making this season act like 2013 in a way.
4 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2969 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:29 am

If we get through August without a NS then yeah probably. Not totally unexpected considering the way 3rd year Nina's go. Models show three named systems before September though.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#2970 Postby WiscoWx02 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:51 am

MarioProtVI wrote:I’m starting to have serious doubts this season is anything active. With 04L likely busting and the models being pessimistic about future activity I’m wondering if the peak will be anything notable at all. 2 ACE in late August is just baffling. Something is definitely up that is making this season act like 2013 in a way.

If we are talking ACE then yeah I have jumped ship on this being an active season. Below average is the most likely outcome at this point because I really don’t see these conditions abating any time soon if at all. Now it would be foolish to say that we can’t still see a major impacting storm hit the US in September or October…I think we’ll see at least something big this year but regarding ACE…yeah would be shocked if we get near 100 units at this juncture. Of course, ACE is a metric but doesn’t tell 30% of the story. A category 5 landfall in Florida, Texas, or Cuba can turn the season memorable real fast. I could easily mention a certain year that had a devastating hurricane hit Florida and was pretty much dead the rest of the time regardless of if it’s an analogue matching this years environmental conditions or not
1 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2971 Postby AtlanticWind » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:10 pm

Based on the forecasts and relatively high SSTs I am still expecting at least 3 majors but
more likely 4 or 5 .
90% of majors occur after todays date.
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2972 Postby psyclone » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:15 pm

Happy bell ring to everyone. It's oddly but delightfully quiet out there right now and...as boring as it is for weather fanatics the lack of stress and carefree beach weather is hard to argue with. Enjoy it while we have it..
4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#2973 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:46 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:I’m starting to have serious doubts this season is anything active. With 04L likely busting and the models being pessimistic about future activity I’m wondering if the peak will be anything notable at all. 2 ACE in late August is just baffling. Something is definitely up that is making this season act like 2013 in a way.

04L didn't bust though, none of the models ever developed it and the hurricane center made that clear. They issued warnings because the possibility was there that we could have an undetected spin-up, but nothing busted.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#2974 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:07 pm

psyclone wrote:Happy bell ring to everyone. It's oddly but delightfully quiet out there right now and...as boring as it is for weather fanatics the lack of stress and carefree beach weather is hard to argue with. Enjoy it while we have it..

I feel like within the next week things won’t be boring anymore
4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#2975 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:29 pm

Reposting from the 04L thread. The high was too strong to really allow the max surface vorticity to stay over water that long (pretty much tracked up the middle of Central America and into Mexico) but not strong enough to reach the East Pacific as many prior waves had, a sign that things are trending, albeit slowly, to being more favorable. If this had moved straight north, or perhaps east of north, from yesterday's position then we'd be talking about a tropical storm today.

3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2976 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:43 pm

WiscoWx02 wrote:

If we are talking ACE then yeah I have jumped ship on this being an active season. Below average is the most likely outcome at this point because I really don’t see these conditions abating any time soon if at all. Now it would be foolish to say that we can’t still see a major impacting storm hit the US in September or October…I think we’ll see at least something big this year but regarding ACE…yeah would be shocked if we get near 100 units at this juncture. Of course, ACE is a metric but doesn’t tell 30% of the story. A category 5 landfall in Florida, Texas, or Cuba can turn the season memorable real fast. I could easily mention a certain year that had a devastating hurricane hit Florida and was pretty much dead the rest of the time regardless of if it’s an analogue matching this years environmental conditions or not

ACE has never instilled anxiety about near-term vacations, weddings, school closures or business operations. ACE has never caused TS or Hurricane Warnings resulting in many thousands to evacuate. ACE has never impacted crops, floods, landslides, homes to be destroyed, injuries or deaths.
On the other hand, ACE might suggest how optimal conditions were (or were not) for any given period of time. Therefore unless July/August ACE is somehow used as a reliable tool to forecast September/October ACE, lets take THAT measure off the table for the moment.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2977 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:55 pm

If I had a dollar for every dead horse that I've had to step over between April and now, I'd be rich. In the interest of these majestic animals, can we at least pause this senseless beating until perhaps September 20, whether or not 2022 will be a dead season, a below average with another "Andrew", an average year, or above average?
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#2978 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:16 pm

Adding to my earlier post, the CMC has been consistently showing a Gulf system. While I know this isn't the models thread, it's noteworthy as it's following with what I said that the Western Caribbean waves are more and more able to make poleward movement further east. They've gone from going into the Pacific, to tracking down the middle of Central America, and the next ones look like they'll be able to miss land entirely (save for the Yucatan of course) before getting into the Gulf.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#2979 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:56 pm

I was looking over the 2017 threads and Irma models. This season has a lot of similar vibes. No Harvey, storms not in the right position, but similar favorable area just off the coast. Meanwhile both the GFS and Euro were running CV head fakes, each showing development, then shifting back to the next wave, up until Irma.

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Models
#92 Postby Alyono » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:13 am

it's 10 days away, but that may be far enough south such that it does not recurve

then again, this may be another WOLF! WOLF! Isn't this like the 9th CV cane the models have forecast this year?

Here's the Irma models thread, RL3A0 (I think) modified the first post to include most of the model runs, archived. This was before we started insisting that people always use image sites rather than direct links, so a lot of model runs were lost. This is 6 years ago, and models have improved ... maybe. :lol:

Just food for thought.

I'd also like to point out just how wrong some people were when models started to struggle, especially the GFS dropping the storm on a few runs.

#172 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm

I've lost track of how many times this season the GFS has fooled me showing a Tropical Atlantic hurricane many runs in a row only to drop it suddenly in just 1 run. The takeaway is despite the season peak just being less than 2 weeks away the Tropical Atlantic remains EXTREMELY unfavorable for whatever reasons.

The Euro was better but was also struggling with on and off conditions.
13 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2980 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:55 pm

tolakram wrote:I was looking over the 2017 threads and Irma models. This season has a lot of similar vibes. No Harvey, storms not in the right position, but similar favorable area just off the coast. Meanwhile both the GFS and Euro were running CV head fakes, each showing development, then shifting back to the next wave, up until Irma.

#92 Postby Alyono » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:13 am

it's 10 days away, but that may be far enough south such that it does not recurve

then again, this may be another WOLF! WOLF! Isn't this like the 9th CV cane the models have forecast this year?

Here's the Irma models thread, RL3A0 (I think) modified the first post to include most of the model runs, archived. This was before we started insisting that people always use image sites rather than direct links, so a lot of model runs were lost. This is 6 years ago, and models have improved ... maybe. :lol:

Just food for thought.

I'd also like to point out just how wrong some people were when models started to struggle, especially the GFS dropping the storm on a few runs.

#172 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm

I've lost track of how many times this season the GFS has fooled me showing a Tropical Atlantic hurricane many runs in a row only to drop it suddenly in just 1 run. The takeaway is despite the season peak just being less than 2 weeks away the Tropical Atlantic remains EXTREMELY unfavorable for whatever reasons.

The Euro was better but was also struggling with on and off conditions.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. 2017 had a mostly unfavorable Mid-August for CV Storms, but then came Irma.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”