2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1361 Postby SFLcane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:45 pm

toad strangler wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
The big piece I see is that western ridge. It's always there it seems nowadays. Very hard to get that digging west US trough that entrenches a downstream NE ridge like you need to get a storm across FL.

:sadly:

Are you referring to east coast Florida peninsula landfalls? Florida has been hit numerous times since 2004 from other angles.

East coast was hit by Cat 1 Katrina in 2005. CLOSE CALLS recently with Matthew & Dorian. Irma was very close to a EC hit. There is no such thing as a Florida shield :lol: . We just been lucky.

Katrina, lol! 17 years ago. Most don't even know what a hurricane is here. But anyway yea we will see what this season brings could be very active come ASO.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1362 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:47 pm

SFLcane wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Are you referring to east coast Florida peninsula landfalls? Florida has been hit numerous times since 2004 from other angles.

East coast was hit by Cat 1 Katrina in 2005. CLOSE CALLS recently with Matthew & Dorian. Irma was very close to a EC hit. There is no such thing as a Florida shield :lol: . We just been lucky.

Katrina, lol! 17 years ago. Most don't even know what a hurricane is here. But anyway yea we will see what this season brings could be very active come ASO.

17 years is a blip in climo history. And the parcel of land you have in mind is rather small. There is no shield my good friend :wink:
2 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#1363 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:51 pm

toad strangler wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

17 years is a blip in climo history. And the parcel of land you have in mind is rather small. There is no shield my good friend :wink:

Yep! A lot of people said the CONUS had a major hurricane shield until Harvey. It's just a temporary cycle of inactivity but it will return at some point.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1364 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:53 pm

skyline385 wrote:Been saying for a while, we are headed towards a very quiet July

https://twitter.com/dmorris9661/status/1541439759356157952

The CFS, for the most part, reflects this, with no activity for the majority of July. It starts going a little crazy at the very end of July with a weak eastern MDR system, followed by a MDR long-tracker that forms in the first days of August and scrapes the East Coast. Not sure what the CFS is seeing that sparks both systems despite the suppressive MJO only starting to move away; maybe a strong Kelvin wave? It’s even more unusual because it shows nothing afterwards in August until a pair of MDR long-trackers forming at the end of the month. The late July/early August storms seem like stuff it was originally predicting for mid-August, once the suppressive MJO is (presumably) out of the way.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1365 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Regarding this "Florida shield" talk, I think there are also some very key nuances that must be made to clarify this term. If we're talking about tropical storm strikes, then there never was a "shield" anytime recently. If we are talking about generic hurricane strikes, then since Hermine in 2016, there have been a handful. If we are talking about major hurricane strikes, then Irma and Michael count. I mean, they after all did make landfall in the state of Florida.

Now, sometimes I feel that this "Florida shield" term is tossed around but in reality referring to the southern part of the state, which has still experienced many tropical storm strikes during the past years. So, in other words, it should be more appropriately called the "South Florida shield." But then, if this were the case, then Irma technically still counts as it literally made a Cat 4 landfall over the Keys. Sometimes, just as a general observation that I have made, there seem to be people who discount Irma for some reason even though it made landfall as a Cat 4 in the southern part of the state, which very much resembles the behavior of those storms in the 1940s.

Now under the umbrella of "South Florida shield," that brings us to an even more important distinction that must be made: west coast or east coast. The west coast had Charley and Wilma as the most recent major hits, while the east had Irma and Andrew.

My overall point here is, I really think that the term "Florida shield," whenever tossed around, could sometimes be a bit misleading; if we're talking about "Florida shield," then given the sheer number of TSs that have hit or scraped the state in recent years, there never has been a "shield." But if we're talking about "Miami Category 4+ shield," then yes, that has not happened anytime recently. However, Mother Nature knows no bounds or limitations, so this "Miami Category 4+ shield" may unfortunately not be a shield at all, so best to be prepared during any given season!
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1366 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:48 pm

This will be my last post on the silly FL shield thing as obviously that's not what this thread is for.
The NOAA return rate of a MAJOR hurricane for Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties (SFLcane's context) is 16, 14, and 17 years in that order. Keep in mind this "return" means a storm center can pass within 50 nautical miles from the county and be scored a hit. Irma was probably a hit for Dade county. This has NOTHING to do with landfalls. There is simply no such thing as a South FL shield or ANY Florida shield for that matter. It's nothing but fun banter. Carry on!
7 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1367 Postby tolakram » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Florida shield posts, from this point on, are subject to moderation. :lol: They produce too many replies and that south Florida postage stamp has the same risk of getting hit every year.

Vertical Instability - tropical Atlantic

Compared to other seasons this is way up! No, I'm still not sure what to make of this indicator after 9 years of looking at it.

source: https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/TCFP/atlantic.html
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1368 Postby skyline385 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm

tolakram wrote:Florida shield posts, from this point on, are subject to moderation. :lol: They produce too many replies and that south Florida postage stamp has the same risk of getting hit every year.

Compared to other seasons this is way up! No, I'm still not sure what to make of this indicator after 9 years of looking at it.

Haven't seen this indicator before so apologies if i get this wrong but to me it looks like while the instability is increasing which should promote TCG, it is still below the average (not sure what climo the average is based on).
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1369 Postby Teban54 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:49 pm

skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:Florida shield posts, from this point on, are subject to moderation. :lol: They produce too many replies and that south Florida postage stamp has the same risk of getting hit every year.

https://i.imgur.com/L9DSHx0.png

Haven't seen this indicator before so apologies if i get this wrong but to me it looks like while the instability is increasing which should promote TCG, it is still below the average (not sure what climo the average is based on).

This particular product shows below average vertical instability every single year, even during the MDR season in 2017. We can safely say it's bugged at this point.
6 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1370 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:19 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1371 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 pm

It was noted in the replies of the first post that there also seems to be a very strong CCKW in late July/early August. That would probably explain why the CFS tries to form two MDR storms around that time.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#1372 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:11 pm

...I think some of these recent posts are all assuming 2022 will be as MJO-dependent as 2021 was (as in, an unfavorable MJO shuts everything down regardless of other conditions). Remains to be seen how this year actually plays out in that regard. I'd be hesitant too in taking the timing of CFS formations as gospel, given what I've seen in trying to use it for land-based storm chase forecasting (although severe local storms and tropical cyclones are different animals).

Despite all the ominous predictions for this year (no this isn't a "2013 repeat" or "season cancel" post), we're actually well short of the frenetic pace of NS formation of the last two years. At the end of June into start of July 2020 and 2021, we'd just had our fourth Atlantic named storm and were about to have our fifth. In 2022, we're only now about to have our second, which is actually much more normal and means nothing for peak season.
4 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1373 Postby skyline385 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:51 pm

SconnieCane wrote:...I think some of these recent posts are all assuming 2022 will be as MJO-dependent as 2021 was (as in, an unfavorable MJO shuts everything down regardless of other conditions). Remains to be seen how this year actually plays out in that regard. I'd be hesitant too in taking the timing of CFS formations as gospel, given what I've seen in trying to use it for land-based storm chase forecasting (although severe local storms and tropical cyclones are different animals).

Despite all the ominous predictions for this year (no this isn't a "2013 repeat" or "season cancel" post), we're actually well short of the frenetic pace of NS formation of the last two years. At the end of June into start of July 2020 and 2021, we'd just had our fourth Atlantic named storm and were about to have our fifth. In 2022, we're only now about to have our second, which is actually much more normal and means nothing for peak season.

The MJO was strong enough to create a Caribbean system and 2 AOI in the MDR in June. The active phase of the pulse has been very strong so far so the trailing suppressed phase should be strong as well imo.
0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#1374 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:32 pm

where is he?

3 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#1375 Postby FireRat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:04 am

weeniepatrol wrote:where is he?

https://i.imgur.com/TYTvp1d.jpg

If this keeps up we might eventually find out what the curse of King TUTT really is :lol:
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1376 Postby SFLcane » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 am

3 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#1377 Postby underthwx » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:50 am

I read about the loop current in the Gulf being further north this year, which may aid in producing more intense storms this season?....I found this to be interesting, I am unfamiliar with the loop current, and it's significance relating to cyclones.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#1378 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:17 am

underthwx wrote:I read about the loop current in the Gulf being further north this year, which may aid in producing more intense storms this season?....I found this to be interesting, I am unfamiliar with the loop current, and it's significance relating to cyclones.

The gulf current sometimes pushes into the gulf. It supplies the gulf with deep ocean heat content. Therefore storms don’t weaken from upwelling, they strengthen as they upwell warmer water from beneath the surface that came from the Caribbean. It’s what made Katrina, Rita, and Ida such Monsters so quickly. And it’s particularly robust this season.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Cataegis96
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1379 Postby Cataegis96 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 am

USTropics wrote:The western branch of the ITCZ for the second dekad of June (11-20th) has lifted anomalously more north of climo:
https://i.imgur.com/iywT0le.jpg

I plotted the past 20 years of the region from 15W to 15E, and 2022 is 4th highest (behind 2005, 2012, and 2017):
https://i.imgur.com/LQkHJ9u.png

I made an interactive graph here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQBfIw9qGKG27fVc-VZFBnbfDvkVtIRxU3bEs-sqZ8fv1SbBxeHvHhByLLFDk52jfy8PmAjGPxJGDPV/pubchart?oid=1177492694&format=interactive

Awesome! Where did you get the historical data for the ITCZ Branch Position? Been looking for that. Can only see recent data from this year in a data table on CPC's website: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/international/itf/itcz.shtml.
1 likes   
Lead Meteorologist Mars, Inc
WE ARE! The Pennsylvania State University 2018
UA U KNOW! University at Albany, SUNY 2020

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1380 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 am

skyline385 wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:...I think some of these recent posts are all assuming 2022 will be as MJO-dependent as 2021 was (as in, an unfavorable MJO shuts everything down regardless of other conditions). Remains to be seen how this year actually plays out in that regard. I'd be hesitant too in taking the timing of CFS formations as gospel, given what I've seen in trying to use it for land-based storm chase forecasting (although severe local storms and tropical cyclones are different animals).

The MJO was strong enough to create a Caribbean system and 2 AOI in the MDR in June. The active phase of the pulse has been very strong so far so the trailing suppressed phase should be strong as well imo.

More confirmation of what i said above

https://twitter.com/andyhazelton/status/1542131737098129408

https://twitter.com/mjventrice/status/1542132293313220612

Last edited by skyline385 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”