2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2541 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:54 am

Steve wrote:Back burner for now, but the way the season is going, it seems to me that unless something was to form just off the SE Coast, the next possible US threat would be Texas. Something will have to be on the table when MJO is a few days into Phase 2. Early morning bet would be somewhere around the 17th or 18th. Of course Phase 2 can be an active phase for the Mexican Pacific coast too. If regional tropical energy is in the EPAC, you might see something skirting the coast there or possibly landfalling. But if the energy is in the Gulf, that would be an eastward pattern progression from the recent EPAC systems. And if so, that would indicate a potential system would be coming in toward west, wnw, or nw. 10% at best from this far out. Watch models (global and mjo) next week and let’s see which way they go

Have you been watching this whole summer? :lol:

We'd have to have a major pattern change here to get something here. What makes you think that's happening?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2542 Postby Hammy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:23 am

Suddenly the CFS has only one weak system forming between August 20 and September 26, I wonder if some bad data has gone into the 00z sets of models
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MHC Tracking
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2543 Postby MHC Tracking » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:07 am

Hammy wrote:Suddenly the CFS has only one weak system forming between August 20 and September 26, I wonder if some bad data has gone into the 00z sets of models

Can't wait to see a certain set of people spam this, crying bust as a result :roll:
4 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2544 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 am

SoupBone wrote:
Steve wrote:Back burner for now, but the way the season is going, it seems to me that unless something was to form just off the SE Coast, the next possible US threat would be Texas. Something will have to be on the table when MJO is a few days into Phase 2. Early morning bet would be somewhere around the 17th or 18th. Of course Phase 2 can be an active phase for the Mexican Pacific coast too. If regional tropical energy is in the EPAC, you might see something skirting the coast there or possibly landfalling. But if the energy is in the Gulf, that would be an eastward pattern progression from the recent EPAC systems. And if so, that would indicate a potential system would be coming in toward west, wnw, or nw. 10% at best from this far out. Watch models (global and mjo) next week and let’s see which way they go

We'd have to have a major pattern change here to get something here. What makes you think that's happening?

What’s up Soup? Early season development corridors and activity sometimes/often move west to east from the Pacific to Gulf to Atlantic. Also MJO is going to Phase 2 around a week from today. Small chance like I said, but it should show up in models end of next weekend if anything is going to develop in the West Gulf. Better shot of nothing happening or something along the Mexican Riviera, but don’t be surprised if there is something week after next.

I was pointing it out because of the last couple days people were saying it looks like a possible east coast, OTS and Florida year. I don’t disagree with any of that but was pointing out that outside of a spin up near the SE Coast, I’d be looking toward Texas first.
Last edited by Steve on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2545 Postby toad strangler » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:09 am

Hammy wrote:Suddenly the CFS has only one weak system forming between August 20 and September 26, I wonder if some bad data has gone into the 00z sets of models

I never look at the CFS. It's hocus pocus IMO
5 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2546 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 am

Or it could be a very slow season for 2022. It has to happen again eventually.
4 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#2547 Postby aspen » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 am

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

A single storm in all of September is unheard of in the satellite era. Even 2013 had a couple of NS and two (weak) hurricanes, despite being suppressed in every way possible. If 2022 does bust/underachieve, we’ll still get a few September systems.

I wonder what it would take to have zero hurricanes and only 2-3 storms at most in September. Maybe a combo of a strong El Niño and another THC collapse, but it’s possible the latter could impact ENSO state.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2548 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:51 am

Shear is still ripping across the Caribbean :double:
By this time in 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, even in 2000 the Caribbean was already getting much favorable.

3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#2549 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:19 am

Steve wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

What’s up Soup? Early season development corridors and activity sometimes/often move west to east from the Pacific to Gulf to Atlantic. Also MJO is going to Phase 2 around a week from today. Small chance like I said, but it should show up in models end of next weekend if anything is going to develop in the West Gulf. Better shot of nothing happening or something along the Mexican Riviera, but don’t be surprised if there is something week after next.

I was pointing it out because of the last couple days people were saying it looks like a possible east coast, OTS and Florida year. I don’t disagree with any of that but was pointing out that outside of a spin up near the SE Coast, I’d be looking toward Texas first.

Ahhh gotcha! Thanks for that explanation.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#2550 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:21 am

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

There is absolutely no way only one system would form in the most active part of the season. This is why one should never regard models like the CFS as anything more than a bunch of hocus pocus. If only one system forms between august 20th and September 26th, I’ll eat my shoe.
7 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#2551 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:35 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

There is absolutely no way only one system would form in the most active part of the season. This is why one should never regard models like the CFS as anything more than a bunch of hocus pocus. If only one system forms between august 20th and September 26th, I’ll eat my shoe.

I'm not really going to get into the whole argument of impossible vs improbable, I'm sure you guys know the difference. But we've been keeping weather records for 150 out of approximately 4 billion years. To suggest that something weather related is impossible simply disregards this fact. Then to call models "hocus pocus" because it suggests something that goes against our traditional understanding of weather is just dangerous. How about a deeper explanation as to why you think it's wrong? FTR, I also think it's not going to verify, but that's only based on our traditional understanding of climatology. :D
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#2552 Postby SoupBone » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:37 am

NDG wrote:Shear is still ripping across the Caribbean :double:
By this time in 2020, 2019, 2017, 2016, even in 2000 the Caribbean was already getting much favorable.

https://i.imgur.com/zCkdhJF.gif

I'm wondering what's the longest stretch where we've have continued shear during peak seasons.
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#2553 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:01 am

SoupBone wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

I'm not really going to get into the whole argument of impossible vs improbable, I'm sure you guys know the difference. But we've been keeping weather records for 150 out of approximately 4 billion years. To suggest that something weather related is impossible simply disregards this fact. Then to call models "hocus pocus" because it suggests something that goes against our traditional understanding of weather is just dangerous. How about a deeper explanation as to why you think it's wrong? FTR, I also think it's not going to verify, but that's only based on our traditional understanding of climatology. :D

The reason I believe this model is most likely incorrect is due to climatology. Since satellite records have been kept, the above scenario has never occurred, even in the most unfavorable seasons. This current season is far from unfavorable. It has above average SST to average SST in the Caribbean to the MDR. Another reason to not trust the CFS model is because it cannot input or correctly calculate every single small scale event that occurs on earth. For example, every cloud that forms has a small impact on the weather around it. So every slight mistake this model makes concerning these features means it goes farther down and away from what will actually happen. This results in a positive feedback loop in which the model becomes more and more incorrect because of an error. These mistakes exponentially increase as the model runs. Thus it becomes unreliable past a week for most models. As for the case of the CFS, it is never reliable because by the time it initiated, it is completely wrong upon multiple fronts among all parameters. The only times it may be right is by sheer luck resulted by a convergent solution that manages to match up to reality. Remember in early July when this model predicted a very active late July in the Atlantic? How did that turn out. CFS is Hocus Pocus. Just my personal opinion with some evidence to back it up. Maybe one day the CFS will have the capability to be reliable and accurate. But that day has yet to have arrived.
:D
8 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#2554 Postby skyline385 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:10 am

SoupBone wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

I mean i have commented several times in this thread why CFS should not be used for looking at systems. It’s an extremely coarse model with 100-km x 100-km grids, that’s pretty much the size of a latitude (110-km). In case anyone is unaware what the grids are used for, they are the points at which calculations are done so a 100-km x 100-km grid will have only 4 points on which calculations will be done for the forecast, all other points are extrapolated from these. Think about that, between an entire latitude and longitude, only 4 points are used for the calculations which translates into the forecast. Now imagine trying to forecast a tropical cyclone with an eye less than 50-km which is where most of the thermodynamic processes occur, a month into the future using just 4 points inside a latitude/longitude grid. For reference, the EURO has a grid of 9-km by 9-km and it struggles to get TCG right sometimes even 5 days into the future. Hope this explains why CFS is called “hocus pocus” by some for looking at TC forecasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by skyline385 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
7 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2555 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 am

Probably due to the more rising air than normal over the EPAC (lots of EPAC activity since July) leading to
more sinking air than normal over the Caribbean which can lead to enhanced westerly shear.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

MHC Tracking
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2556 Postby MHC Tracking » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:53 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

Occam's razor would definitely support disregarding CFS (which is something that should arguably be done regardless)
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2557 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 am

Kingarabian wrote:

Probably due to the more rising air than normal over the EPAC (lots of EPAC activity since July) leading to
more sinking air than normal over the Caribbean which can lead to enhanced westerly shear.

That has been the culprit, no doubt about it but I didn’t see that being the case back in June for the first week in August being so hostile across the Caribbean knowing already that La Niña was not going anywhere along with a -PDO.
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#2558 Postby skyline385 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 am

@cycloneye, Aug NMME is out. It backed off for August and September forecasts, made a quick comparison between them.

Last edited by skyline385 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2559 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 am

All of that with La Niña and -PDO. Maybe the very active EPAC causing more shear as King said.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2560 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32 am

cycloneye wrote:

All of that with La Niña.

In regards to La Nina, we need to see a larger sample size vs simply a week out where its probably just enhanced EPAC activity providing some Caribbean shear.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”