2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#941 Postby skyline385 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:03 pm

NDG wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
NDG wrote:Both the EPS and GEFS show shear dropping to average if not well below average across the western Atlantic Basin over the next couple of weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/aZqESoT.gif
https://i.imgur.com/KRXdm4y.gif

I wouldn't trust ensemble shear plots that much into the future, they all always converge towards low shear once you get that far ahead just because of how ensembles work.

Here's an example between model runs 6 days apart

https://i.imgur.com/HUhCN1B.png

Good point, lets leave it then at the 6-10 day range, which did fairly well.

https://i.imgur.com/ZIx5MKl.png

Even at that range, probably better to just look at the operational runs. Both GFS and EURO show significant shear in the Gulf as expected.

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#943 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue May 31, 2022 1:16 am

Wow, the similarity is quite uncanny there :eek:

One thing I've noticed is that hyperactive years typically have striking rising motion over Africa with sinking over the Americas, and it looks like 2022 is following that idea at least thus far.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#944 Postby tolakram » Tue May 31, 2022 9:10 am

aspen wrote:I’m starting to think this season is going to have quite a late start, at least compared to 2015-21. There’s no guarantee that the tropical mess left behind by Agatha will be able to consolidate into a name-worthy system, and the next Kelvin Wave won’t arrive until later in the month. Maybe 2022 will follow 2004 and 2010, where Alex forms several weeks after the start of the season but ends up as a noteworthy hurricane.

Maybe. I'm wondering if all this talk about Kelvin waves is really only applicable in more marginal years. If the background conditions are better, and that's a big if, then any spin can form a storm. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#945 Postby AlphaToOmega » Tue May 31, 2022 2:36 pm

Is it just me, or has the North Atlantic been usually quiet? Zero hurricanes formed in the North Atlantic during 2021 OND, and it is looking likely that 2022 is going to have no pre-season storm.

From 2007 to 2020, every season but one (2013) had at least one hurricane form during OND. That was 92.9% of the seasons from 2007 to 2020; hurricane development during OND was the norm. 2021 was unable to produce one hurricane during OND, despite the fact that 2007, the closest recent analog of 2021, produced a hurricane during OND (Noel (2007)) and despite the fact that seasons significantly less favorable than 2021 did so (2015 produced Kate, and 2018 produced Michael and Oscar). Despite the strong Atlantic Niño, recent trends should have dictated that 2021 produce at least one hurricane during OND, but no such system formed.

From 2012 to 2021, every season but two (2013 and 2014) had pre-season activity, which was 80% of those seasons; pre-season development was the norm. However, despite the conditions that would theoretically favor pre-season development (e.g. subtropical warm pool), no pre-season storm has formed, and no pre-season storm is likely to form. This is despite the fact that 2017, which had a much weaker subtropical warm pool, had pre-season development. Recent trends would dictate that this season would have pre-season development, but none has occurred.

What exactly is happening with the North Atlantic? What exactly is causing these norms to be broken?
1 likes   

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#946 Postby SteveM » Tue May 31, 2022 2:50 pm

Pre-season development is always the exception, not the rule. The lack of such means nothing, really.
7 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#947 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue May 31, 2022 3:01 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:Is it just me, or has the North Atlantic been usually quiet? Zero hurricanes formed in the North Atlantic during 2021 OND, and it is looking likely that 2022 is going to have no pre-season storm.

From 2007 to 2020, every season but one (2013) had at least one hurricane form during OND. That was 92.9% of the seasons from 2007 to 2020; hurricane development during OND was the norm. 2021 was unable to produce one hurricane during OND, despite the fact that 2007, the closest recent analog of 2021, produced a hurricane during OND (Noel (2007)) and despite the fact that seasons significantly less favorable than 2021 did so (2015 produced Kate, and 2018 produced Michael and Oscar). Despite the strong Atlantic Niño, recent trends should have dictated that 2021 produce at least one hurricane during OND, but no such system formed.

From 2012 to 2021, every season but two (2013 and 2014) had pre-season activity, which was 80% of those seasons; pre-season development was the norm. However, despite the conditions that would theoretically favor pre-season development (e.g. subtropical warm pool), no pre-season storm has formed, and no pre-season storm is likely to form. This is despite the fact that 2017, which had a much weaker subtropical warm pool, had pre-season development. Recent trends would dictate that this season would have pre-season development, but none has occurred.

What exactly is happening with the North Atlantic? What exactly is causing these norms to be broken?

So are you implying that you think pre-season storms have meaning, at least when it comes down to the nature of the overall season? Because quite frankly, I don't, I feel pre-season storms are almost random and that what we got the last 7 years was basically really good luck.
7 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#948 Postby AlphaToOmega » Tue May 31, 2022 3:06 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:Is it just me, or has the North Atlantic been usually quiet? Zero hurricanes formed in the North Atlantic during 2021 OND, and it is looking likely that 2022 is going to have no pre-season storm.

So are you implying that you think pre-season storms have meaning, at least when it comes down to the nature of the overall season? Because quite frankly, I don't, I feel pre-season storms are almost random and that what we got the last 7 years was basically really good luck.

I am not saying that the presence or absence of a pre-season storm has any impact on the overall activity of a season. I am just curious as to why specifically 2022 is breaking the steak (i.e. what specific conditions caused 2022 to break this streak).
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#949 Postby toad strangler » Tue May 31, 2022 3:14 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

I am not saying that the presence or absence of a pre-season storm has any impact on the overall activity of a season. I am just curious as to why specifically 2022 is breaking the steak (i.e. what specific conditions caused 2022 to break this streak).

There is way WAY too much randomness between every season. Regardless of multiple major indicators being similar to recent years or not. Any attempt to highlight a reason would be close to pure guesswork. I look at tropical seasons being like snowflakes. Snowflakes happen and fall through the atmosphere over and over again in similar conditions to years past. But every snowflake looks different!
4 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#950 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue May 31, 2022 3:17 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

As many others have noted, pre-season activity is usually fairly random. Most pre-season storms form in the subtropics and have non-tropical origins. We did have a system in the Gulf of Mexico that came close to becoming a tropical cyclone earlier this month. 2022 isn't really off to a slow start, we could have a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico by Friday which is June 3rd. The 1991-2020 "average" date for the first named storm in the Atlantic is June 20th.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#951 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#952 Postby zzh » Tue May 31, 2022 6:39 pm

AlphaToOmega wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Maybe it 's due to this upper-level trough centered in the Bahamas.
1 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#953 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue May 31, 2022 6:43 pm

Kind of an odd factoid to highlight lol. Would've been more appropriate to mention the preseason streak ending probably.
3 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#954 Postby hurricanes1234 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:29 pm

Looks like the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season has officially begun (as of 0:00 UTC June 1 or 8:00 PM AST May 31). Buckle up!
4 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#955 Postby AnnularCane » Tue May 31, 2022 7:49 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:Looks like the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season has officially begun (as of 0:00 UTC June 1 or 8:00 PM AST May 31). Buckle up!

Eh. I'm going by my own time zone. :wink:
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#956 Postby tolakram » Tue May 31, 2022 8:31 pm

Last few hours to get in your predictions!

2022 North Atlantic Hurricane Season Numbers Poll (Closes at midnight EDT): https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopi ... 1&t=122570
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#957 Postby zzh » Tue May 31, 2022 8:48 pm

Cansips June forecast. I will believe it when I see it. :D :D :D
2 likes   

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#958 Postby AlphaToOmega » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:05 pm

tolakram wrote:
aspen wrote:I’m starting to think this season is going to have quite a late start, at least compared to 2015-21. There’s no guarantee that the tropical mess left behind by Agatha will be able to consolidate into a name-worthy system, and the next Kelvin Wave won’t arrive until later in the month. Maybe 2022 will follow 2004 and 2010, where Alex forms several weeks after the start of the season but ends up as a noteworthy hurricane.

Maybe. I'm wondering if all this talk about Kelvin waves is really only applicable in more marginal years. If the background conditions are better, and that's a big if, then any spin can form a storm. It will be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

MJO/Kelvin wave dependence seems to be a mixed bag. It hurts active seasons with favorable base states (July and October 2021 were inactive largely because of the suppressive MJO), but it can help seasons with unfavorable base states. In a weak MJO season, a basin would be either favorable or unfavorable for development throughout the entire season (similar to 2020); in a strong MJO season, the basin would be favorable when and only when the MJO is centered at the basin (similar to 2021).
4 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#959 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:30 am

AlphaToOmega wrote:
tolakram wrote:

MJO/Kelvin wave dependence seems to be a mixed bag. It hurts active seasons with favorable base states (July and October 2021 were inactive largely because of the suppressive MJO), but it can help seasons with unfavorable base states. In a weak MJO season, a basin would be either favorable or unfavorable for development throughout the entire season (similar to 2020); in a strong MJO season, the basin would be favorable when and only when the MJO is centered at the basin (similar to 2021).

We recently rotated into Phase 8 and voila, Tropical Storm Alex should be classified today. It's too early to know how many systems will be MJO-indicated this season, but we'd be starting it off 1 out of 1. MJO is definitely something I've gotten more comfortable with the last few years.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#960 Postby aspen » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Steve wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:
tolakram wrote:

We recently rotated into Phase 8 and voila, Tropical Storm Alex should be classified today. It's too early to know how many systems will be MJO-indicated this season, but we'd be starting it off 1 out of 1. MJO is definitely something I've gotten more comfortable with the last few years.

I highly doubt we get TS Alex today. Maybe tomorrow at the earliest. It’s really not looking hot today.

If PTC-1 never becomes a named storm, when would the next window for development be (favorable MJO + CCKW)?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”