2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3501 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:12 am

Even the invests have been few to develop.

https://twitter.com/TylerJStanfield/status/1569357670997708801

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3502 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:32 am

Hammy wrote:
Visioen wrote:So I take from this thread the cause is volcano induced wavebreaking by mid-level dry air.

As in, I have no clue what it means but it sounds good.

Wave breaking isn't even entirely the issue, the entire span of the tropics have warmed in the upper atmosphere, resulting in significant stability

Pretty sure vertical instability has been on a decline for the past decade, 2017 has more stability than 2013 but it didn’t stop it. There’s just a lot of factors at play this season and we will probably know more in post season analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#3503 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:07 pm

Just to expand on a point about the Tonga Eruption...
Most if not all major volcanic eruptions send ash and SO2 high into the atmosphere. These aerosols reflect sunlight back out which has a cooling effect. This was not the case with Tonga. Tonga was a very water vapor rich eruption, and was very low in SO2 for an eruption this size. Water Vapor does not reflect sunlight like SO2. Instead it insulates. It keeps heat in the atmosphere which warms the upper layers. This would in turn reduce the temperature gradient as you go up. I could certainly see this disrupting weather patters in ways no one would be anticipating in the northern hemisphere.
10 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3504 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:49 pm

Here is another indicator of how incredibly hostile the tropics are this season

https://twitter.com/bmcnoldy/status/1569407237575307265

0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3505 Postby aspen » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:16 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Just to expand on a point about the Tonga Eruption...
Most if not all major volcanic eruptions send ash and SO2 high into the atmosphere. These aerosols reflect sunlight back out which has a cooling effect. This was not the case with Tonga. Tonga was a very water vapor rich eruption, and was very low in SO2 for an eruption this size. Water Vapor does not reflect sunlight like SO2. Instead it insulates. It keeps heat in the atmosphere which warms the upper layers. This would in turn reduce the temperature gradient as you go up. I could certainly see this disrupting weather patters in ways no one would be anticipating in the northern hemisphere.

This could be a major forecasting issue for many future seasons too. The study we’ve all be referring to also concluded that the water vapor plume could take 5-10 years to fully dissipate, meaning we could see disrupted weather patterns potentially for the rest of the decade. It’ll almost certainly impact at least the 2023 season, although whether only the Atlantic is suppressed or the entire NHem is even less active than 2022 remains to be seen. However, while there is good evidence in favor of the hypothesis that the eruption plume did suppress the NAtl season, there hasn’t been a smoking gun piece of evidence to confidently link the eruption and the marine heatwave/increased stability/displaced high. The setup is similar to what one article concluded would happen, but the paper saying the plume could last for up to a decade also said NHem impacts might not begin until next year. It’s still possible this is all a freak coincidence.

If the predictions about the H2O plume’s impacts are correct, then we’ll know during the winter, when we should see a weaker polar vortex and blasts of arctic air making it down into the CONUS.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3506 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:32 pm

skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Visioen wrote:So I take from this thread the cause is volcano induced wavebreaking by mid-level dry air.

As in, I have no clue what it means but it sounds good.

Wave breaking isn't even entirely the issue, the entire span of the tropics have warmed in the upper atmosphere, resulting in significant stability

Pretty sure vertical instability has been on a decline for the past decade, 2017 has more stability than 2013 but it didn’t stop it. There’s just a lot of factors at play this season and we will probably know more in post season analysis.

The instability graph has been broken since 2010 and best disregarded. I was referring to this. Less temperature gradient as you go up means more larger scale stability which is likely contributing to these broad waves we're seeing.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/cold-anomaly-stratosphere-polar-vortex-volcanic-cooling-winter-influence-fa/
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3507 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:39 pm

Hammy wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

The instability graph has been broken since 2010 and best disregarded. I was referring to this. Less temperature gradient as you go up means more larger scale stability which is likely contributing to these broad waves we're seeing.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/cold-anomaly-stratosphere-polar-vortex-volcanic-cooling-winter-influence-fa/

The old instability graph is broken but they are working on a new one. RAMMB has also archived all years since 2005 on it up to mid August 2022, I shared it a few days ago in this thread along with the Twitter discussion about it. Here is the link to the graphs

https://rammb-data.cira.colostate.edu/~ ... _tat_THDV/

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3508 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:50 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3509 Postby NotSparta » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:12 pm

Hammy wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

https://www.severe-weather.eu/wp-content/gallery/andrej-news/stratosphere-polar-vortex-cold-air-anomaly-record-low-values.PNG

10mb is probably too high a level to gauge lapse rates in the troposphere. A plot like that but at 100-200mb would probably be a lot more informative
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3510 Postby skyline385 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:22 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Hammy wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Pretty sure vertical instability has been on a decline for the past decade, 2017 has more stability than 2013 but it didn’t stop it. There’s just a lot of factors at play this season and we will probably know more in post season analysis.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/wp-content/gallery/andrej-news/stratosphere-polar-vortex-cold-air-anomaly-record-low-values.PNG

10mb is probably too high a level to gauge lapse rates in the troposphere. A plot like that but at 100-200mb would probably be a lot more informative

Been trying to find an updated plot from a verifiable source, CPC however has this graph which shows temperatures at 100mb (and 10mb too) to be in the 30% range for 25N - 25S.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... mperature/

1 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#3511 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:38 pm

Hammy wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
Hammy wrote:

While that graph is broken, skyline is right in that vertical instability IS on the decline especially in the Atlantic due to expanding Hadley cells
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3512 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:13 pm

0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3513 Postby Teban54 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:27 pm

Inb4 this gives us a hyperactive October :lol:
4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3514 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:33 pm

Teban54 wrote:

I still feel there's a point being missed with the discussions around the warming. Warm SSTs at higher latitudes are not causing the reduced activity, but rather, both seem like they're resulting from a northward-displaced high pressure which is also why the waves are so broad and unable to organize

The cooling, rather than being what allows activity if things do increase, may be a sign in itself that the background state is changing.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3515 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Teban54 wrote:

If this season somehow just attacks us in October with multiple major hurricanes, then I think this season will go down as one of the most legendary, trollish seasons to ever exist :lol:
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#3516 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:30 am

Hammy wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

I still feel there's a point being missed with the discussions around the warming. Warm SSTs at higher latitudes are not causing the reduced activity, but rather, both seem like they're resulting from a northward-displaced high pressure which is also why the waves are so broad and unable to organize

The cooling, rather than being what allows activity if things do increase, may be a sign in itself that the background state is changing.

The anomalously warm midlatitudes are a culprit though, it's how you get strong ridging up there as you mentioned which causes upper level troughing to undercut it. Said warmth is also a result from the extended La Niña state as instability gets sapped from the tropics the longer we go without +ENSO (certainly not helped out by the fact that said Niña background state is near record levels).
4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3517 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:14 am

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Teban54 wrote:Inb4 this gives us a hyperactive October :lol:

The anomalously warm midlatitudes are a culprit though, it's how you get strong ridging up there as you mentioned which causes upper level troughing to undercut it. Said warmth is also a result from the extended La Niña state as instability gets sapped from the tropics the longer we go without +ENSO (certainly not helped out by the fact that said Niña background state is near record levels).

If this is the case why couldn't any of the hurricane forecasters see this? Why didn't any of them react to it?
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#3518 Postby skyline385 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:30 am

tolakram wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Hammy wrote:

If this is the case why couldn't any of the hurricane forecasters see this? Why didn't any of them react to it?

Webb mentioned a few weeks ago that instability is not a factor in seasonal forecasts and that this season serves as a lesson to why it should be.

Additionally, until June-July, the anomalous warmth was not that bad. I remember Andy joking that we were approaching 2013 levels near Newfoundland and that it was something to watch out for but in the last couple of months the warmth has gone way beyond 2013 or any other year in the recent active era with anomalies as high as 5C in the warm pool. I don’t think any seasonal model predicted this. And if models are not showing it, then it’s hard for the forecasters to predict such an extreme scenario.

See below for how much the anomalies increased in the last two months.

Last edited by skyline385 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3519 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:34 am

First cold front is through. Let’s see if we get a response in the next couple of weeks close to the USA.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3520 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:42 am

skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:The anomalously warm midlatitudes are a culprit though, it's how you get strong ridging up there as you mentioned which causes upper level troughing to undercut it. Said warmth is also a result from the extended La Niña state as instability gets sapped from the tropics the longer we go without +ENSO (certainly not helped out by the fact that said Niña background state is near record levels).

Webb mentioned a few weeks ago that instability is not a factor in seasonal forecasts and this season serves as a lesson to why it should be.

Seems like a pretty big statement to make about ALL hurricane forecasts. Was he talking hurricane forecasts or model predictions? I never consider what a model says to be a forecast, forecasters make forecasts, models are tools used in forecasting. CSU uses hindcasting, so they would not use a model prediction.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”