2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1241 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:54 am

it could be just a Pacific MJO in terms with of the Atlantic tutt. Way to early to know
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1242 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:57 am

skyline385 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:
aspen wrote:A TUTT has managed to find a way to form during peak season for the last two years despite otherwise favorable forecasts for ASO, so I see no reason for one not to pop in and cause at least one inactive phase. It’s unclear if 2022 will have the same wild swings in activity levels as 2021, though.

I do not imagine a TUTT being that much of a hindrance. Despite the TUTT seen in 2020, it still managed to produce 5 late-season major hurricanes (Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, and Iota), and the TUTT was not what caused 2021 to have such a pathetic late season; it was the Atlantic Nino.

This TUTT would be a hindrance to any AEW in the Western MDR or the Caribbean unless it it is recurving out to sea and seeing how August is prime time for the former, it very likely will be affecting activity.

This is not supported by most climate models which all have a very wet Caribbean. Way to early to know
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1243 Postby skyline385 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:47 am

SFLcane wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:
I do not imagine a TUTT being that much of a hindrance. Despite the TUTT seen in 2020, it still managed to produce 5 late-season major hurricanes (Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, and Iota), and the TUTT was not what caused 2021 to have such a pathetic late season; it was the Atlantic Nino.

This TUTT would be a hindrance to any AEW in the Western MDR or the Caribbean unless it it is recurving out to sea and seeing how August is prime time for the former, it very likely will be affecting activity.

This is not supported by most climate models which all have a very wet Caribbean. Way to early to know

Talking about August here, got October/November for Caribbean activity. This supports the C3S ensemble plots which had precipitation out to sea off the east coast.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1244 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 am

There’s a big caveat I’d like to point out here; in 2020 and 2021, iirc, the TUTTs that formed during those two years were typhoon-enhanced, but this year seems to be unlike the last two in how it is predicted to have more sinking motion over the EPAC during peak season. I specifically recall Eric Webb saying how that reduction in competition could really boost Atlantic activity theoretically speaking. If the Pacific is as inactive as it is predicted to be, then wouldn’t it be plausible to say that typhoon-enhanced TUTTs may not be as major of an issue this year as they were the past two years?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1245 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 am

SFLcane wrote:it could be just a Pacific MJO in terms with of the Atlantic tutt. Way to early to know

Yeah I agree with your statement. I feel it’s also too early to tell if this is just some temporary pattern or a reoccurrence. Given the forecast, I am willing to bank on it being the former, if it even pans out that is.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1246 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:16 am

skyline385 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:
aspen wrote:A TUTT has managed to find a way to form during peak season for the last two years despite otherwise favorable forecasts for ASO, so I see no reason for one not to pop in and cause at least one inactive phase. It’s unclear if 2022 will have the same wild swings in activity levels as 2021, though.

Look at the plot again, it only really shows the TUTT for the Central Caribbean. That area around the NE Caribbean where the TUTT usually is actually has anomalous ridging for late July if the model is right. It wouldn't have much of any effect on Western MDR waves although it could start shearing weaker storms in the Caribbean
6 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1247 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 am

New ECMWF plot will be out on July 13th. Potential tracks are coming from the caribbean into the Bahamas.

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1248 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 am

I would like to here "wxman57's" take on this potential TUTT.
Last edited by SFLcane on Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1249 Postby SFLcane » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:02 am

Last edited by SFLcane on Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#1250 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:55 am

SFLcane wrote:CFS weeklies on tidbits is primed with favorable Caribbean upper level winds into most of July. :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/J4D49DBs/gg.png

May get a system in the Caribbean in July, but we can't precisely predict one month in advance. But we can generally predict the pattern that is expected in a given month.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1251 Postby Teban54 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:00 pm

skyline385 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:

I thought the tweets you posted only showed a potential TUTT in late July? How would it last all the way until late August, when the real peak season begins?
2 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#1252 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:51 pm

Teban54 wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
AlphaToOmega wrote:I do not imagine a TUTT being that much of a hindrance. Despite the TUTT seen in 2020, it still managed to produce 5 late-season major hurricanes (Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, and Iota), and the TUTT was not what caused 2021 to have such a pathetic late season; it was the Atlantic Nino.

I thought the tweets you posted only showed a potential TUTT in late July? How would it last all the way until late August, when the real peak season begins?

I seem to recall 2017 having a problem with TUTTs too. However, it was right before peak season and then we had Harvey, Irma, Jose, Maria etc.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1253 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Seems like with last year and 2020, the strong TUTT idea has become more widely talked about in the wx community as it pertains to deep season activity. However, that then begs the question, did pre-2012 MDR-heavy years such as 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, or 2010 feature TUTTs as well?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1254 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:07 pm

There's a TUTT pretty much every year. Comes down to TC positioning where it may aid or it may inhibit.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1255 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:04 pm

4 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#1256 Postby weeniepatrol » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Here we go.

2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1257 Postby skyline385 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:46 pm

Also, lots of Nino 3.4 - 4 cooling coming up

4 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1258 Postby Hammy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:49 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Seems like with last year and 2020, the strong TUTT idea has become more widely talked about in the wx community as it pertains to deep season activity. However, that then begs the question, did pre-2012 MDR-heavy years such as 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, or 2010 feature TUTTs as well?

The TUTT is a semi-permanent feature so it's present in every season, and seems most prominent in the vicinity of 60W (notice a lot of storms taken out by shear tend to dissipate between 55-65.)

As for strength, 2000/01 were two active seasons that I remember it being exceptionally strong and had several systems that developed or were on the verge of developing essentially decapitated.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1259 Postby toad strangler » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:32 pm

Hammy wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Seems like with last year and 2020, the strong TUTT idea has become more widely talked about in the wx community as it pertains to deep season activity. However, that then begs the question, did pre-2012 MDR-heavy years such as 1995, 1999, 2003, 2004, or 2010 feature TUTTs as well?

The TUTT is a semi-permanent feature so it's present in every season, and seems most prominent in the vicinity of 60W (notice a lot of storms taken out by shear tend to dissipate between 55-65.)

As for strength, 2000/01 were two active seasons that I remember it being exceptionally strong and had several systems that developed or were on the verge of developing essentially decapitated.

Is the forum transitioning from historic SAL & SST handwringing to TUTT hand wringing? :lol:

Seriously though, wasn't Irma AIDED by the 2017 TUTT with her being to the SW of it?
4 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1260 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:05 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Is the forum transitioning from historic SAL & SST handwringing to TUTT hand wringing? :lol:

Seriously though, wasn't Irma AIDED by the 2017 TUTT with her being to the SW of it?

That's what I thought too...seems like there's a prevailing consensus though that TUTT definitively = shear and making a season not perform up to what it could.

Although iirc, especially with Irma, that was living proof of how TUTTs are not always bad for a particular storm, I think mainly if they are oriented correctly and if the storm is strong enough
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”