2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#2601 Postby cycloneye » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:10 pm

12z CMC also develops.

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2602 Postby Blown Away » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 pm

cycloneye wrote:12z CMC also develops.

https://i.imgur.com/IgmFvw9.gif

GFS/CMC have something wobbling around the Caribbean in @10 days. Based on the previous model runs no idea which direction it may go if it develops.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2603 Postby Blown Away » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:53 pm

12z GEFS
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2604 Postby SFLcane » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Blown Away wrote:
cycloneye wrote:12z CMC also develops.

https://i.imgur.com/IgmFvw9.gif

GFS/CMC have something wobbling around the Caribbean in @10 days. Based on the previous model runs no idea which direction it may go if it develops.

Better not be north with 2,000 kts of shear near the conus. Caribbean though still fair game I guess.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2605 Postby gatorcane » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:30 pm

This does not looks like a phantom as development is from the vigorous wave over the South-Central Atlantic as you can see from the 18Z GFS 0-192 hour animation:

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2606 Postby cycloneye » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:52 pm

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2607 Postby LarryWx » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:43 pm

Climo says extremely unlikely, but fwiw I count a rather notable 6 of the 52 (12%) 12Z EPS members with a TS in the W Car between 11/27 and 12/3. That compares to only 1, 3, and 0 on the prior three long range runs. That is not exactly what one would expect to see that late in the season on the EPS. On the GEFS or GEPS, 12% wouldn't be notable.

Til 12Z today, this was purely a GFS out in fantasy land storm. But the 12Z CMC had something and now the EPS is possibly doing a little sniffing fwiw.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2608 Postby gatorcane » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:07 am

Most active GEFS run yet, in the very long-range.

Note the month is really December: :double:

3 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#2609 Postby kevin » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:08 am

I know it's long-range GEFS, but still this has to be one of the busiest December runs I've ever seen for the Atlantic.

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2610 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:23 am

What particularly interests me about this future system in the WCAR later this month is how even the CMC seems quite bullish with it (at least on the most recent run). Also, the system looks to be a slow-moving system, unlike systems like Lisa or Julia before.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#2611 Postby Hurricane2022 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:57 am

Hurricane2022 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:The 12z GFS strikes again with a WCar Hurricane! :double:

It's still Long-Range. Each round has a different intensity and route. I think the GFS should stop showing this phantom hurricane within the next 7 - 13 runs.

Yes, but...
See CMC
0 likes   
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.
Sorry for the bad English sometimes!!!

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2612 Postby gatorcane » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:28 pm

The 12Z GFS shows a cutoff low over the Eastern CONUS in about 5 days instead of a deep long-wave trough like the Euro and CMC show and the last several runs of the GFS. Might need to throw out that GFS run. A deeper CONUS trough will create a better upper-level env in the Western Caribbean for development with anticylonic flow.
1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2613 Postby blp » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:12 pm

The EPS is much more active.

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2614 Postby LarryWx » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:02 am

blp wrote:The EPS is much more active.

https://i.ibb.co/G01kV3B/eps-lowlocs-watl-42.png

On the run you're referring to (yesterday's 12Z EPS), I see two hurricanes (both threaten far south FL/Keys) and a TS. The 0Z doesn't appear to have any hurricanes, but I see 6 members that appear to be at TS strength (sub 1,000 mb), four of which threaten far south FL. I still consider the chance for TCG from this to be low though somewhat interesting, especially for the end of Nov.

The 12Z ICON has a very weak low in the SW Caribbean late this week that moves NW into the NW Caribbean next weekend with slight strengthening.

The models continue to suggest much lower than average shear/200 mb winds in the Caribbean for the rest of November. Thus there's a slight chance for TCG, which isn't typical at all for then. Typically the chance is near zero.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2615 Postby cycloneye » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:34 pm

GFS and CMC have turned quiet and looks like the last 2022 name was Nicole.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2616 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:06 pm

cycloneye wrote:GFS and CMC have turned quiet and looks like the last 2022 name was Nicole.

Hmm, wonder why they dropped the system; after all, while hard to believe wasn't there supposed to be an abnormally favorable CCKW period during that timeframe and a reduction in shear (as Larrywx pointed out)? I can't say for certain, but who knows if this is like those moments when the models hint at development, drop it, and then redevelop it as the time comes closer
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2617 Postby LarryWx » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:GFS and CMC have turned quiet and looks like the last 2022 name was Nicole.

Hmm, wonder why they dropped the system; after all, while hard to believe wasn't there supposed to be an abnormally favorable CCKW period during that timeframe and a reduction in shear (as Larrywx pointed out)? I can't say for certain, but who knows if this is like those moments when the models hint at development, drop it, and then redevelop it as the time comes closer

The GFS likely dropped it because the earlier runs very likely had phantoms (the chances of an actual TC from this remain very low based on history) and it is sensing reality as it gets closer in time. Just like when it had run after run with a hurricane, including some majors, in the eastern Caribbean prior to Lisa. The GFS has a strong bullish bias for genesis.
That being said, there still remains a very low chance for a TC based mainly on the EPS still showing some members with a TC. Very low chance as opposed to near zero chance. Very low like 5% or so. Yes, shear is forecasted to be well below normal for November.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2618 Postby LarryWx » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:27 pm

LarryWx wrote:

On the run you're referring to (yesterday's 12Z EPS), I see two hurricanes (both threaten far south FL/Keys) and a TS. The 0Z doesn't appear to have any hurricanes, but I see 6 members that appear to be at TS strength (sub 1,000 mb), four of which threaten far south FL. I still consider the chance for TCG from this to be low though somewhat interesting, especially for the end of Nov.

The 12Z ICON has a very weak low in the SW Caribbean late this week that moves NW into the NW Caribbean next weekend with slight strengthening.

The models continue to suggest much lower than average shear/200 mb winds in the Caribbean for the rest of November. Thus there's a slight chance for TCG, which isn't typical at all for then. Typically the chance is near zero.

The 12Z EPS is significantly quieter. I could find only one 12Z EPS member (2% of the members) with a TS+ vs 6 on the 0Z and 3 on yesterday's 12Z. Chances remain very low and appear to be dropping even further to just a couple of percent or so.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2619 Postby LarryWx » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:39 pm

LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

The 12Z EPS is significantly quieter. I could find only one 12Z EPS member (2% of the members) with a TS+ vs 6 on the 0Z and 3 on yesterday's 12Z. Chances remain very low and appear to be dropping even further to just a couple of percent or so.

Followup: Even quieter on today's 12Z EPS with no TCs that I can find. I think it is now pretty safe to say the season is over as I no longer even feel there's a couple of % chance for another TS. You can never say never with absolute certainty, but it is about as close as you're going to get to saying that in a La Nina in late November.
2 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 3
Category 3

#2620 Postby Hurricane2022 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:32 pm

Interesting that the GFS has been insisting on a late-season system in the central Pacific since yesterday.

0 likes   
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.
Sorry for the bad English sometimes!!!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”