2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#2421 Postby LarryWx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:38 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The 0Z GEFS is making a lot of noise in the WC Caribbean 10/26+. During that period, the 0Z GFS has a surface low in that area. 11 of the last 13 and every one of the last nine La Niña seasons had significant western basin land impacts from a late OCT or Nov system. Just a suggestion to not bet on no more significant land impact this season just yet. We're in a different era now.

It has been somewhat consistent too

Seven runs later and the GEFS is still noisy in the WC Caribbean next week along with about every other gfs run. Obviously could be a phantom as the last released Euro suite was very quiet.
Anyone know why no Euro updates since 0Z?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2422 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:06 pm

LarryWx wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The 0Z GEFS is making a lot of noise in the WC Caribbean 10/26+. During that period, the 0Z GFS has a surface low in that area. 11 of the last 13 and every one of the last nine La Niña seasons had significant western basin land impacts from a late OCT or Nov system. Just a suggestion to not bet on no more significant land impact this season just yet. We're in a different era now.

Seven runs later and the GEFS is still noisy in the WC Caribbean next week along with about every other gfs run. Obviously could be a phantom as the last released Euro suite was very quiet.

I was running through the GFS a little while ago just for the heck of it and saw a tropical-looking swirly thing heading northward from the direction of somewhere in the Caribbean sometime around Halloween. Same thing?

(It was the 18Z and about two weeks out, so trying not to get too excited or anything. I think. 8-) )
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2423 Postby LarryWx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:16 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

I was running through the GFS a little while ago just for the heck of it and saw a tropical-looking swirly thing heading northward from the direction of somewhere in the Caribbean sometime around Halloween. Same thing?

(It was the 18Z and about two weeks out, so trying not to get too excited or anything. I think. 8-) )

Yes. But the genesis on the model is next week.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2424 Postby cycloneye » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:13 pm

The ECMWF has not been out today because of this. Banner at Tropical Tidbits.

October 18: Public ECMWF data has not updated since the agency migrated to a new datacenter. Troubleshooting underway.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2425 Postby LarryWx » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:47 pm

The 0Z GFS is the 2nd run in a row with a flooding threat for southern Dominican Republic mid next week along with a possible 2nd run in a row with a later Bermuda hit. Watching this closely. Quite possibly a ghost since little or no support from other models. Also, 0Z GEFS not as active as recent runs so far.
1 likes   

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#2426 Postby WiscoWx02 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:24 am

06Z GFS pulling a wrong way Lenny in the Caribbean end of the month…gotta love the GFS sometimes. :lol:
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#2427 Postby MetroMike » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:34 am

WiscoWx02 wrote:06Z GFS pulling a wrong way Lenny in the Caribbean end of the month…gotta love the GFS sometimes. :lol:

Yes a hurricane that loses steering and gets stuck near the islands. Wonder if the Euro sees it as it is being hidden as far as I know.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2428 Postby LarryWx » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:52 am

WiscoWx02 wrote:06Z GFS pulling a wrong way Lenny in the Caribbean end of the month…gotta love the GFS sometimes. :lol:

The details of this run are really unrealistic with two TCs, including a ridiculous monster and a tiny TS that both rapidly develop seemingly out of thin air, that hit the Virgin Islands just 3 days apart.

Although these are quite possibly all just ghosts especially since there's little support from other models (though I haven't seen a Euro in 24 hours) and the GFS likes to produce ghosts often, this is the third GFS run in a row with Caribbean TCG as well as an impactful storm next week fwiw. Also, 11 of the last 13 Niña seasons, the last nine Niña seasons, and 2/3 of La Niña seasons since 1964 have had an impactful TC either during late OCT or in NOV.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2429 Postby LarryWx » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:40 am

LarryWx wrote:

The details of this run are really unrealistic with two TCs, including a ridiculous monster and a tiny TS that both rapidly develop seemingly out of thin air, that hit the Virgin Islands just 3 days apart.

Although these are quite possibly all just ghosts especially since there's little support from other models (though I haven't seen a Euro in 24 hours) and the GFS likes to produce ghosts often, this is the third GFS run in a row with Caribbean TCG as well as an impactful storm next week fwiw. Also, 11 of the last 13 Niña seasons, the last nine Niña seasons, and 2/3 of La Niña seasons since 1964 have had an impactful TC either during late OCT or in NOV.

1. 12Z GFS is 4th in a row that has TCG S of Hispaniola mid next week fwiw. This is also the 3rd of the last 4 with a flooding threat from heavy rainfall for that island as it comes in there as a hurricane.

2. The 12Z UKMET has weak TCG Sunday morning 200 miles off the SE US and it then moves slowly to just off NC as of 144:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 90 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+ 90 : 31.5N 75.7W

LEAD CENTRAL MAXIMUM WIND
VERIFYING TIME TIME POSITION PRESSURE (MB) SPEED (KNOTS)
-------------- ---- -------- ------------- -------------
1200UTC 23.10.2022 96 31.5N 75.5W 1008 32
0000UTC 24.10.2022 108 32.2N 74.3W 1010 34
1200UTC 24.10.2022 120 33.9N 73.6W 1012 29
0000UTC 25.10.2022 132 35.5N 73.8W 1011 28
1200UTC 25.10.2022 144 35.9N 74.5W 1011 20
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2430 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:06 pm

12z Euro is back on TT, but the EPS is still out.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2431 Postby cycloneye » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 pm

Iceresistance wrote:12z Euro is back on TT, but the EPS is still out.

Oct 19: ECMWF + EPS plots are updating again. "EC-fast" + "EPS-fast" data remain out-of-date due to ECMWF supercomputer migration until further notice.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2432 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:26 pm

12z GFS thinks we could see a considerable Caribbean system sometime next week
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#2433 Postby MarioProtVI » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:33 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:12z GFS thinks we could see a considerable Caribbean system sometime next week

Most likely a ghost considering bias
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2434 Postby LarryWx » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:12z GFS thinks we could see a considerable Caribbean system sometime next week

I feel it could easily be a ghost due to a lack of support from other models, but I'm not betting heavily one way or the other since it is La Niña in the Caribbean in late October, which has seen a good number of geneses and the % of La Niña seasons with late OCT or NOV geneses there has increased in recent decades.

The 12Z GEFS does have quite a bit of activity in the Caribbean next week but it could be just a bunch of ghosts. I'm curious to see what the 12Z Euro suite shows. As of yesterday's Euro suite, there was almost nothing.

Per 12Z Euro through 174: this GFS system has been given a name, "Casper". :lol:

Update as of 6Z 10/20 run: While GEFS runs still look active overall mid to late next week, they also look "Casperish" as there's no EPS support. We'll see.
1 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2435 Postby Blown Away » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:27 am

06z GFS has a hurricane in the Caribbean in the fantasy range.
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#2436 Postby ChrisH-UK » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:13 am

Off the coast of Florida might be a place to watch this weekend. Most of the models have a disturbed weather off the coast of Florida forming a low and the head north, the winds in the models varies around the 30-35 knot but doesnt show it getting a closed circulation.

This is CMC's run
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2437 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:50 am

LarryWx wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:

I feel it could easily be a ghost due to a lack of support from other models, but I'm not betting heavily one way or the other since it is La Niña in the Caribbean in late October, which has seen a good number of geneses and the % of La Niña seasons with late OCT or NOV geneses there has increased in recent decades.

The 12Z GEFS does have quite a bit of activity in the Caribbean next week but it could be just a bunch of ghosts. I'm curious to see what the 12Z Euro suite shows. As of yesterday's Euro suite, there was almost nothing.

Per 12Z Euro through 174: this GFS system has been given a name, "Casper". :lol:

Update as of 6Z 10/20 run: While GEFS runs still look active overall mid to late next week, they also look "Casperish" as there's no EPS support. We'll see.

Regarding the many GFS/GEFS runs with Caribbean TS+ next week, a Casper is confirmed. It now appears that the next real Caribbean TC would be in November, if any at all. The last two gfs runs have a H in there late in their runs. They're highly likely just ghosts, but I'm not counting out something impactful forming at some point in Nov. based on La Niña seasons of recent decades.
Last edited by LarryWx on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2438 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:15 pm

LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:Most likely a ghost considering bias

Regarding the many GFS/GEFS runs with Caribbean TS+ next week, a Casper is confirmed. It now appears that the next real Caribbean TC would be in November, if any at all.

The only thing is, this system doesn't necessarily seem to pop out of some spurious WCAR convection. If anything it can be traced to a tropical wave that enters the Caribbean.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2439 Postby cycloneye » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:15 pm

Thankfully, is very long range.

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2440 Postby LarryWx » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:27 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Regarding the many GFS/GEFS runs with Caribbean TS+ next week, a Casper is confirmed. It now appears that the next real Caribbean TC would be in November, if any at all.

The only thing is, this system doesn't necessarily seem to pop out of some spurious WCAR convection. If anything it can be traced to a tropical wave that enters the Caribbean.

I was referring to something forming in the Caribbean next week, something that many GFS runs had while other models had nothing. Many of these fake TC geneses were for near OCT 26-7. Now the GFS has dropped the idea of TCG next week in the Caribbean. So, that is pretty much confirmed to have been a ghost.

The last two GFS runs have a H in the Caribbean after next week. That's something new and highly likely just another ghost considering the GFS' love for ghosts especially late in its runs. However, I'm not counting out the possibility of something impactful forming at some point in November based on the increased November activity of La Niña seasons in recent decades.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”