2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#781 Postby skyline385 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:57 pm

Pretty bullish 12Z EPS with one member going straight through Florida, also lots of members through PR and DR :double:

Last edited by skyline385 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#782 Postby toad strangler » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:57 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Two strong waves on operational ECMWF.

https://i.imgur.com/c12jm7g.gif

What is interesting is that instead of the wave getting weaker in the Caribbean, it is getting stronger.

It's just barely crossed into the Caribbean at end of run but something to watch.
3 likes   

MHC Tracking
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#783 Postby MHC Tracking » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:11 pm

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#784 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:44 pm

Jeez, no wonder why the Euro is optimistic about that particular MDR system... :eek:
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#785 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:46 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:https://i.imgur.com/mCesakn.png

Jeez, no wonder why the Euro is optimistic about that particular MDR system... :eek:

I hope if something forms, it stays weak and comes to Texas. My area is about 33% of it's normal annual rainfall this year.
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#786 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:47 pm

skyline385 wrote:Pretty bullish 12Z EPS with one member going straight through Florida, also lots of members through PR and DR :double:

https://i.imgur.com/dVRAbzA.png

EPS says a CCKW will be propagating across the MDR late this month, so that's probably what the operational is hinting at with those strong waves. Could help give them a little boost.
4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#787 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:49 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#788 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:53 pm

When theGFS or GEFS shows future possible MDR activity, meh. When the Euro does, :eek:
6 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#789 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:02 pm

This potential future MDR system reminds me a bit of Elsa due to its decently low latitude. Only this time, I feel that with the relaxed trades, it may not be an exact Elsa-2.0 repeat, especially considering Elsa was blasted with speed shear due to the fast trades last year.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#790 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:37 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:

When theGFS or GEFS shows future possible MDR activity, meh. When the Euro does, :eek:

Should be inversed. As last year showed us a lot of the time the EPS is stronger with MDR waves at long ranges
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#791 Postby aspen » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:47 pm

How do the forecast trades around the time that strong wave tries to develop/reaches the Lesser Antilles compare to the trades when Emily ‘05 formed and reached the Caribbean?

Right now I’m expecting something similar to either Bret ‘17 (typical weak early season storm) or Beryl ‘18/Elsa ‘21 (low-end hurricane with a small core that gets ripped apart) at the most, if this even forms.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#792 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:01 pm

aspen wrote:How do the forecast trades around the time that strong wave tries to develop/reaches the Lesser Antilles compare to the trades when Emily ‘05 formed and reached the Caribbean?

Right now I’m expecting something similar to either Bret ‘17 (typical weak early season storm) or Beryl ‘18/Elsa ‘21 (low-end hurricane with a small core that gets ripped apart) at the most, if this even forms.

On the 12z Euro I guesstimated the speed of the vortmax, seemed somewhere around 15kt. Think it was a little slower for Emily.

Agreed probably won't become that strong if anything, it's late June/early July in a climatologically unfavored place. Usually don't get much in a place like that
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#793 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:02 pm

aspen wrote:How do the forecast trades around the time that strong wave tries to develop/reaches the Lesser Antilles compare to the trades when Emily ‘05 formed and reached the Caribbean?

This a really good point. I would love see Emily / Dennis case study .. I know SST was hella warm but what about the rest
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#794 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:10 pm

Deshaunrob17 wrote:

This a really good point. I would love see Emily / Dennis case study .. I know SST was hella warm but what about the rest

The Caribbean iirc also had abnormally low shear during that timeframe. Getting a July Cat 3 is rare, but getting a July Cat 4 and 5 is exceptionally rare. I'm sure there is a good reason to this aside from favorable ssts, reduced trades, etc. However, I can't definitively say that just because it happened then and is rare means it cannot happen again, whether it's this season or in a future year. But yeah, I was a 4-year-old babbling toddler when Dennis and Emily happened, so I personally do not know the intricacies behind how exactly they happened, at least from a wx tracker's perspective. Would love to research it more though if possible.
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#795 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Are these model runs tracking the wave that just came off? That wave looks really robust. It also has a very sharp axis
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#796 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:27 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Are these model runs tracking the wave that just came off? That wave looks really robust. It also has a very sharp axis

There it is.

7 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#797 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:36 pm

cycloneye wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:Are these model runs tracking the wave that just came off? That wave looks really robust. It also has a very sharp axis

There it is.

https://i.imgur.com/UZsH3vx.gif

The left wave interests me, just checked and it seems to be under relatively light shear. Are we sure this can’t at least become some weak and brief system? Or is the dust the limiting factor?
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#798 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

There it is.

The left wave interests me, just checked and it seems to be under relatively light shear. Are we sure this can’t at least become some weak and brief system? Or is the dust the limiting factor?

Looks like it has a date with South America. The right wave is probably more interesting. It should move north and not develop, but the Euro shows a lobe of vorticity breaking off and trying to form in about 10 days. Will it happen? We'll see. GFS doesn't buy it
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#799 Postby skyline385 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:02 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
There it is.

Looks like it has a date with South America. The right wave is probably more interesting. It should move north and not develop, but the Euro shows a lobe of vorticity breaking off and trying to form in about 10 days. Will it happen? We'll see. GFS doesn't buy it

Kinda hilarious how the tables have now turned lol :D
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#800 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:13 pm

skyline385 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:

Kinda hilarious how the tables have now turned lol :D

Indeed. Out here with the AEWs coming off Africa the Euro is the development-happy model
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”