2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1561 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm

There seems to be some confusion with what images are ok to post from weathermodels so I wanted to make it clear. I am aware of their terms of use and the ability to post images to social media as long as it's not overdone, however SOME images from their site contain a FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY stamp on the image. Under NO circumstances are those images to be posted here. Right now that's the only restriction and so far I've only seen that stamp on animated GIF's. It's a pretty easy to follow, if you see PERSONAL USE ONLY on the image then don't post it.

We are not here to police every post and spend all our personal time making sure people aren't abusing licenses. If there's ever a question from weathermodels about posting images we will shut all of them down, similar to what we had to do with other commercial sites.

Thanks.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1562 Postby skyline385 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:11 pm

18Z GFS not looking impressive so far, same lack of activity in the MDR like 12Z at 120 hours. The Gulf system is going off though and could end up the system to watch out for.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1563 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 pm

skyline385 wrote:18Z GFS not looking impressive so far, same lack of activity in the MDR like 12Z at 120 hours. The Gulf system is going off though and could end up the system to watch out for.

18Z GFS has no TC in entire basin through hour 192.

Purely for entertainment: 12Z CFS has a H that goes from NC OB 9/3 to SE MA 9/4.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1564 Postby Teban54 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:33 pm

LarryWx wrote:
skyline385 wrote:18Z GFS not looking impressive so far, same lack of activity in the MDR like 12Z at 120 hours. The Gulf system is going off though and could end up the system to watch out for.

Purely for entertainment: 12Z CFS has a H that goes from NC OB 9/3 to SE MA 9/4.

As if the GFS heard you, at hour 204 there are three lows in the MDR, and the first wave is now a 1003 mb TS :lol:
3 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1565 Postby skyline385 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:37 pm

18Z getting interesting now, this run is much more believable seeing the dry air in the MDR and how a western path is typically favored in August.

0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1566 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:42 pm

skyline385 wrote:18Z getting interesting now, this run is much more believable seeing the dry air in the MDR and how a western path is typically favored in August.

https://i.imgur.com/B0JfzHw.png

:uarrow: Worth noting that, if this plays out, appears to be similar genesis to Dorian, which developed at the western tip of an unusually strong monsoon trough.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1567 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:43 pm

skyline385 wrote:18Z getting interesting now, this run is much more believable seeing the dry air in the MDR and how a western path is typically favored in August.

That MDR wave is further south than previous runs, not an ideal look for the islands should this verify
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1568 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:45 pm

Teban54 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

As if the GFS heard you, at hour 204 there are three lows in the MDR, and the first wave is now a 1003 mb TS :lol:

Yeah, lol the lead AEW suddenly strengthens to a tiny TC on the next maps just after 192. However, the trend of the 18Z GFS vs recent GFS runs is still kind of bearish imho for early genesis.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#1569 Postby Spacecoast » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 pm

LarryWx wrote: Yeah, lol the lead AEW suddenly strengthens to a tiny TC on the next maps just after 192. However, the trend of the 18Z GFS vs recent GFS runs is still kind of bearish imho for early genesis.

It's happy hour. The GFS could still blow this up to CAT4.... :D

Definitely further south than previous OP runs, and most 12z GEFS members.
And WAY stronger than ECMF Operational.
Last edited by Spacecoast on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1570 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 pm

We might indeed got through august with a hurricane. Ridiculous
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1571 Postby Teban54 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:05 pm

SFLcane wrote:We might indeed got through august with a hurricane. Ridiculous

Too early to make statements like this.
5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1572 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:07 pm

Teban54 wrote:

Your right, but we are sure heading in that direction.
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1573 Postby skyline385 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Hammy wrote:

:uarrow: Worth noting that, if this plays out, appears to be similar genesis to Dorian, which developed at the western tip of an unusually strong monsoon trough.

It also took the same path as was expected from Dorian before its center relocation, you can also see the wave jumping between centers in the current run too :D
5 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1574 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

Your right, but we are sure heading in that direction.

I would have said last night that this GoM system has a small window to get named, but now I'm not so sure.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1575 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Through hour 168, the Happy Hour GEFS is coming in noticeably weaker than recent runs for the AEW now coming off Africa. Strongest of that batch was down at 168 to only 1007 mb.
Last edited by LarryWx on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1576 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:27 pm

Teban54 wrote:

Honestly I'm thinking the same and I've been zeroing in on September 1 as the big switch flip. Happened in 1988 and 2001 and both seasons ended up active.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1577 Postby aspen » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:40 pm

The first wave ends up as a super tiny storm that runs over the Shredder before ending up in the Bahamas on September 1st. Reminds me of the early model forecasts of a certain D storm from a few years ago…
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1578 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:43 pm

The way I see it is models have been somewhat consistent in showing disturbances that have potential to develop in dangerous areas, specifically the MDR wave and the second gulf system. Model runs are going to fluctuate all the time at this range for any system so to me it's just important that the disturbances actually form and then see what the actual environment looks like.
8 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1579 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:00 pm

Here's a post that I specifically remember from many months ago while reading the 2017 global model runs (it's on page 67 and from chaser1); seems pretty applicable with what looks to be the in-depth discussions on each individual operational model run that comes out :D :

"Something to keep in mind is that quite possibly Atlantic conditions are at some point where they're slowly becoming ever so slowly more favorable, but the borderline day to day dynamics continue to dip in and out of all the necessary perimeters to more easily foster development. Anyway, perhaps this is why the models were largely showing little to nothing just days ago but are now showing systems trying to develop, then soon dropping them altogether. I suppose if this were true, than we'll begin to see a progression of more consistent run after run forecasts depicting these systems in the 1-2 weeks to come. That's not at all to say I believe tropical systems will all struggle to form until then, just that the various global models might begin to do a better job forecasting development when conditions further improve."

Just because one GFS, Euro, etc. run depicts nothing or just because one run depicts a slew of powerful major hurricanes does not mean that that will actually be the case. Trends are important, as well as whether or not models consistently pick up on something or not. The way I see things, climatology should be a green light factor in having the basin come to life by this month's end, so it would genuinely surprise me to see no NSs form during the next 14 days or so. Anyhow, as a side note, I checked the most recent GFS run, and something I've noticed is it seems to pump out this extremely powerful typhoon that then hits Tokyo (also seems like 2 runs ago, that typhoon never existed, and that was a very active Atlantic run). I'm wondering if that somewhat-likely-to-be-bogus typhoon is causing some downstream unfavorable conditions in the Atlantic, at least in the more recent runs? :roll:
4 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1580 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Looks like a bogus GFS run at 18z GFS.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”