Alternate Scenarios that Could Have Turned Out Very Badly

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Alternate Scenarios that Could Have Turned Out Very Badly

#41 Postby toad strangler » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 am

Dorian was a total disaster for the N Bahamas in reality, but I can't imagine that 'cane advancing a bit further W and parking itself over the E Coast of FL for days. :double:
4 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:28 am

The area between Miami and Savannah is the only part of the Southeastern U.S. that has been largely spared hurricane-strength landfalls since 2016. Absurdly, the area with the greatest density of hurricane landfalls since 1851, peninsular Florida, has seen very few impacts during this timeframe, while the Gulf Coast and the Carolinas have seen extremely high rates of landfalls. Wilmington, Charleston, Naples, Tallahassee, Panama City, Pensacola, New Orleans, Lake Charles, and Houston have seen direct impacts. Tampa Bay, Greater Miami, and Greater Orlando are among the very few exceptions, though strong hurricanes have passed immediately to their west and east since 2016. How much longer till one or all three finally get impacted by a robust storm? Time will tell.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby Hurricanehink » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 pm

I gotta say Hurricane Sandy, if it made landfall about 70 miles north, would've caused an even worse flood in New York. Suppose the trough that turned it westward took just a bit longer to develop, and Sandy's hook west was just a bit more to the northwest. As it happened in our timeline, Sandy made landfall near Atlantic City, although the worst storm surge was north of the landfall point in Ocean and Middlesex Counties. I imagine that a more northerly landfall would funnel even more storm surge energy into New York Bay. It might not be that much of an increase (a foot or two), but every additional foot of water in NYC would've caused billions more in damage.
1 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#44 Postby Nuno » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:56 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Imelda was a worst case scenario IMO as well. I mean like, a nothing-storm causing billions of damage in USD? wow

I dunno if I agree. Maybe from a standpoint of emergency management in trying to get people to take a tropical storm seriously, but $5b damage is hardly eye opening given the astronomical amounts we've seen in insured losses since Katrina, especially as urban coastal areas become more dense. It shouldn't have been retired but it seems anything that makes landfall is somehow retired these days.

As for worst case? Andrew making landfall just 10 miles north. Miami would not be what it is today had that happened. I worry for the next storm because so many people have moved here since...
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:59 pm

Nuno wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:Imelda was a worst case scenario IMO as well. I mean like, a nothing-storm causing billions of damage in USD? wow

I dunno if I agree. Maybe from a standpoint of emergency management in trying to get people to take a tropical storm seriously, but $5b damage is hardly eye opening given the astronomical amounts we've seen in insured losses since Katrina, especially as urban coastal areas become more dense. It shouldn't have been retired but it seems anything that makes landfall is somehow retired these days.

As for worst case? Andrew making landfall just 10 miles north. Miami would not be what it is today had that happened. I worry for the next storm because so many people have moved here since...

Yeah, I think in recent ages Dorian was probably the closest we ever got in terms of another major calamity for W. Florida (not exactly Miami per se, but West Palm Beach or Boca Raton would have been decimated). But in terms of a hurricane that is Andrew-like but 10 miles north.....that storm will be talked about for generations.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#46 Postby SconnieCane » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:44 pm

Nuno wrote:

Imelda was not retired.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:47 pm

SconnieCane wrote:
Nuno wrote:

Imelda was not retired.

That’s besides the point. Imelda was much worse than expected.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#48 Postby SconnieCane » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:21 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:
Nuno wrote:

Imelda was not retired.

Oh I'm not disagreeing that Imelda 2019 was very high-impact for a 40kt tropical storm, but the bolded in the post I quoted seemed to imply that the name was retired following that storm, which it was not.
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#49 Postby Nuno » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:23 pm

SconnieCane wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:
Imelda was not retired.

Oh I'm not disagreeing that Imelda 2019 was very high-impact for a 40kt tropical storm, but the bolded in the post I quoted seemed to imply that the name was retired following that storm, which it was not.

I must've confused it with another storm. :lol:
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:42 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Hurricane Rita would have been devastating if it maintained peak strength through landfall

Had hurricane Rita kept its peak, and followed a more northerly curve, giving NOLA and the MS Gulf Coast a double-whammy -- THAT would have been catastrophic.
3 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:35 pm

2003 was the first season I ever paid attention to the tropics, and I can remember the hype for Earl. If you go back and read the advisory discussions, it was expected that Earl would be a major hurricane taking aim at the northern gulf coast. However, the storm’s fast forward speed in the Caribbean caused its circulation to unexpectedly dissipate.
1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby skyline385 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:44 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:2003 was the first season I ever paid attention to the tropics, and I can remember the hype for Earl. If you go back and read the advisory discussions, it was expected that Earl would be a major hurricane taking aim at the northern gulf coast. However, the storm’s fast forward speed in the Caribbean caused its circulation to unexpectedly dissipate.

Err there wasn't an Earl in 2003?
3 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#53 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:50 pm

skyline385 wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:2003 was the first season I ever paid attention to the tropics, and I can remember the hype for Earl. If you go back and read the advisory discussions, it was expected that Earl would be a major hurricane taking aim at the northern gulf coast. However, the storm’s fast forward speed in the Caribbean caused its circulation to unexpectedly dissipate.

They probably meant '04.

Initial forecasts from the National Hurricane Center depicted gradual intensification into a powerful hurricane as the system entered the central Caribbean Sea, but these forecasts were lowered in later advisories. Despite an impressive satellite presentation associated with Earl as it passed through the southern Leeward Islands, a hurricane hunter flight reported that the system no longer had a low-level circulation late on August 15. As a result, the NHC discontinued advisories on the system and declared it an open tropical wave. While not entirely sure, it is suspected that the fast motion of the cyclone attributed to its dissipation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Earl_(2004)
4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:28 pm

Yep sorry, typo
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Alternate Scenarios that Could Have Turned Out Very Badly

#55 Postby skyline385 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

They probably meant '04.

Initial forecasts from the National Hurricane Center depicted gradual intensification into a powerful hurricane as the system entered the central Caribbean Sea, but these forecasts were lowered in later advisories. Despite an impressive satellite presentation associated with Earl as it passed through the southern Leeward Islands, a hurricane hunter flight reported that the system no longer had a low-level circulation late on August 15. As a result, the NHC discontinued advisories on the system and declared it an open tropical wave. While not entirely sure, it is suspected that the fast motion of the cyclone attributed to its dissipation.

Yea, I initially did think it was a reference to the 2004 storm but then it was so short lived that I found it hard to believe that it was hyped to be a major hitting the Northern Gulf. I wasn't into tropical weather back then but damn it must have been one of the biggest busts from the NHC if they had it as a major in the official forecast and it fizzled out as a tropical storm.
Last edited by skyline385 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:00 am

Imagine if Katrina, Rita, and Ike underwent EWRCs and they all turned out to be successful, akin to Haiyan or Irma-type eyewall "meld," and they made landfall at peak strength.

Also imagine if environmental conditions were a lot more conducive at the time of Irene (2011) and managed to strike NY as a borderline Cat2/3 hurricane.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Teban54 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:08 am

skyline385 wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

They probably meant '04.

Yea, I initially did think it was a reference to the 2004 storm but then it was so short lived that I found it hard to believe that it was hyped to be a major hitting the Northern Gulf. I wasn't into tropical weather back then but damn it must have been one of the biggest busts from the NHC if they had it as a major in the official forecast and it fizzled out as a tropical wave.

Earl '04 wasn't explicitly forecast to be a major at any time, but Advisory #7 and Advisory #8 did have 90 kt in central Gulf, and most advisories before that had 80 kt at 120 hrs. This was right after Charley overperformed big time, so I can see how people were concerned.
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby FireRat » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:52 am

The 1996 season could've been incredibly devastating, far more than it actually was, if the tracks of Bertha/Edouard/Fran/Hortense had been further west and a little south before recurving. Those 4 majors had their tracks basically intersect over the same section of Atlantic just east of the Bahamas.

That season could've been bad for FL and the Bahamas, like really bad. The Carolinas would've still been whacked pretty hard, and perhaps even the greater antilles would've taken a beating. There were 6 Majors that year, six!

6 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:54 pm

I remember Hurricane Isidore was forecasted to hit New Orleans area as a Category 4 hurricane.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2002/d ... s.027.html
1 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#60 Postby DestinHurricane » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:23 pm

I'm sure this has already been said, but dorian stalling and turning 60-70 miles west at the same intensity. Imagine 185mph into PBC then a stall over the area.

Though I have another that may not be as thought of:

The trough being later and Michael not making that final curve back to the NE. Would've made landfall around Destin. Where the RFQ of Michael actually made landfall was mostly trees, with the exception of the corner of Mexico Beach. Now imagine what happened in Mexico beach from the Sandestin area all the way through seaside or so. Destin proper would have been hammered as well with wind and some surge. Those areas even away from the coast are far more populated than where Tyndall AFB is located. Then Fort Walton gets basically what Panama City got.
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”