When will the first 2022 Tropical Wave be officially introduced? 5/8/22

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

When will the first 2022 Tropical Wave be officially introduced?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:00 pm

April 11-20
No votes
April 21-30
No votes
May 1-10
29%
May 11-20
42%
May 21-31
25%
June 1-10
4%
June 11-20
No votes
June 21-30
No votes
July
No votes

Total votes: 24

HUC
Category 2
Category 2

Re: When will the first 2022 Tropical Wave be officially introduced? 5/8/22

#21 Postby HUC » Mon May 09, 2022 10:18 am

[quote="wxman57"]This is very, very subjective. Waves can be tracked along the ITCZ for much of the year. When the NHC decides to identify one of them is irrelevant as far as a predictor of seasonal activity.[/quote]

Agree with that. I have the dates since 2008 and i have noted different dates for the first waves!
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: When will the first 2022 Tropical Wave be officially introduced? 5/8 22 Near African coast

#22 Postby Teban54 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:26 am

LemieT wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
Here is a list of the first tropical waves since 2000. Is in spanish but the dates are clear in any language.

https://i.imgur.com/kQmGzUx.jpg

All the years that had their first wave form before May 10: 2005, 2008, 2010, 2017, and now 2022. :wink:

I found this an interesting note. Not just busy years, but high impact years as well... Maybe mere coincidence, but stats are a thing for a reason.

Do note that 2021's early season activity, particularly an early July MDR hurricane in Elsa, was only matched by years that ended up hyperactive. 2021 didn't.
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby skyline385 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:16 am

wxman57 wrote:This is very, very subjective. Waves can be tracked along the ITCZ for much of the year. When the NHC decides to identify one of them is irrelevant as far as a predictor of seasonal activity.

Was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the news too. How do you distinguish this one wave as the first wave when they really can exist during any part of the year?
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 09, 2022 4:10 pm

skyline385 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:This is very, very subjective. Waves can be tracked along the ITCZ for much of the year. When the NHC decides to identify one of them is irrelevant as far as a predictor of seasonal activity.

Was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the news too. How do you distinguish this one wave as the first wave when they really can exist during any part of the year?

There is some subjectivity, yes, but they can't exist during the entire year. You don't tend to get AEWs before May, so having tropical waves during that time of year is generally not possible
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby toad strangler » Mon May 09, 2022 5:15 pm

NotSparta wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

There is some subjectivity, yes, but they can't exist during the entire year. You don't tend to get AEWs before May, so having tropical waves during that time of year is generally not possible

This makes sense. Why wouldn’t NOAA call them out all year if they were present all year? A tropical wave is a tropical wave right?
6 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 09, 2022 8:11 pm

Still hanging on with convection and has not puffed.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#27 Postby AJC3 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:10 am

toad strangler wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the news too. How do you distinguish this one wave as the first wave when they really can exist during any part of the year?

This makes sense. Why wouldn’t NOAA call them out all year if they were present all year? A tropical wave is a tropical wave right?

Outside of December and May, off-season AEWs, are very low in both latitude (embedded within the ITCZ) and amplitude (i.e. very little veering of winds about their axes). So these perturbations are usually: (1) Indistinct from the ITCZ, and (2) Very difficult (if not impossible) to diagnose and track. Therefore you won't see them discussed as features outside of the ITCZ. I have another brief post about AEWs and the AEJ, relating to a T-wave in Late April/early May here:

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopi ... 3#p2966244
11 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”