Storm tracks where it could plausibly go in either direction

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Storm tracks where it could plausibly go in either direction

#1 Postby Hurricanehink » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:11 pm

Here are a few storms whose tracks are just as plausible as going in the opposite direction. Do you know of any such tracks?

Lenny 99

Lili 84
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Storm tracks where it could plausibly go in either direction

#2 Postby Yellow Evan » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:37 pm

Like half of AUS or SPAC storms given the wind steering flow in that area of the world and that many storms there develop out of the SPCZ and move eastward.
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Teban54 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:44 am

Arlene 2017. I wasn't tracking it back then, so the first time I saw this track I was like "WTF??"

Emily 2017 might also count. A track in the opposite direction (east-to-west) is also plausible, as shown by Sally and even Katrina.
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:32 pm

Eta 2020

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Hurricane2021
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Hurricane2021 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:04 pm

Typhoon Wayne 1986
0 likes   

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Hurricanehink » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:56 pm

As much as I love Eta's track, I can't see a storm forming near North Carolina, moving southwest across Florida, moving across Cuba, then strengthening into a hurricane over Central America. Sorry to be picky :wink: A storm that had a similar ending was Kyle in 2002, which could plausibly have formed near North Carolina, then looped its way across the Atlantic. There have been other storms that moved southwest in that part of the Atlantic. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kyle_2002_track.png
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:09 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Leslie 2018, I watched her wild track when I was in the beginning stages of Tropical Cyclone tracking.

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby ncforecaster89 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:28 am

Hurricanehink wrote:Here are a few storms whose tracks are just as plausible as going in the opposite direction. Do you know of any such tracks?

Lenny 99
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lili_1984_track.png

Lili 84
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lenny_1999_track.png

https://youtu.be/m7PI8CyDtEU

A sample of TWC coverage I had videotaped via VHS, back in the day, of hurricane Lenny. Sent this to the YouTube channel provider in order to have them upload it online some 14 years ago. In all, I copied more than 100 edited hours worth of TWC hurricane coverage (from the period of 1993-2008), on to DVDS, and mailed them out. Was supposed to get them back following the uploads, but they were never returned.

One day, I’m planning to upload a lot of that footage (and much more) onto my own YT channel.

“Lenny” was a powerful hurricane with a unique track that I found fascinating to observe during November of 1999!

Thank you for refreshing my memory on a truly historic event for the Eastern Caribbean Islands.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”