Hurricane IDA has been retired / IMANI replacement name

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Hurricane IDA has been retired / IMANI replacement name

#1 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:28 pm

IMANI will be the new replacement name.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-r ... 022-season
6 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricane Ida has been retired / IMANI replacement name

#2 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:33 pm

Looks like WMO is really going in with some obscure I names (they are not afraid lol :D ). Personally I thought Inga, Ivy, Imogen, or Ina would be the replacement name, but I do find Imani interesting. I do like its cultural implications too; Imani seems to be a predominantly African-American name, with Arabic roots.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Hurricane2021
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Hurricane Ida has been retired / IMANI replacement name

#3 Postby Hurricane2021 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:35 pm

Ida - Imani
Elsa - Flop
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Hurricane IDA has been retired / IMANI replacement name

#4 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 pm

No surprise at all. They have to get obscure now since that's all that is pretty much left. I wonder what could replace Ian if that storm is destructive this year?
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:No surprise at all. They have to get obscure now since that's all that is pretty much left. I wonder what could replace Ian if that storm is destructive this year?

While Irving would be a good choice imho as it seems to be a common I male name that has not been used before ever, I would not be surprised if WMO goes with a name like Idris, Immanuel, Ivar, or Iosif. With I names, there are quite a few available- that is, if you are willing to venture into African-American, Scandinavian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, or Slavic cultures where I names seem to be quite common.
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:46 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:No surprise at all. They have to get obscure now since that's all that is pretty much left. I wonder what could replace Ian if that storm is destructive this year?

Maybe make an exception and have greek for the I's?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:18 pm

cycloneye wrote:

The Greek name Iota, the only I name there, is retired though.
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby FireRat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:57 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Sure took the 'I curse' to a whole new level with Iota, dang.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:14 pm

FireRat wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Sure took the 'I curse' to a whole new level with Iota, dang.

I was playing a name game recently, and I just realized that if the Atlantic named their storms like the WPAC, Eta would have been Grace, Iota would have been Ida, and Ida would have been Sam lol. :D
5 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby FireRat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:40 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:I was playing a name game recently, and I just realized that if the Atlantic named their storms like the WPAC, Eta would have been Grace, Iota would have been Ida, and Ida would have been Sam lol. :D

Haha no way! That's destiny right there my friend.

Imani is a pretty interesting name too, lets see how the name does in 2027 lol.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby ouragans » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:33 pm

Meteo-France's proposal was Indira (indian name), bit Imani is not bad at all
1 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is just a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris '95, Luis '95, Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:21 am

If you all lived in an African-American neighborhood, you wouldn't find Imani to be "obscure."

As I pointed out in the other thread, Imani first appears on Social Security's top thousand list for newborn girls in 1990. It peaked at 239th in 1996. It has been receding recently but still ranked 523rd in 2020. (2021 figures should be released around May 6.) Of course as those are national figures its rank within just the African-American community would be a lot higher.

Imani is the Swahili word for "faith." It is also the seventh and last day of the African-American holiday Kwanzaa and so very well known by educated African-Americans. There are pobably at least 17,000 women and girls named Imani living in the USA today, the huge majority of them of African-American ancestry.
6 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#13 Postby DioBrando » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:06 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:

While Irving would be a good choice imho as it seems to be a common I male name that has not been used before ever, I would not be surprised if WMO goes with a name like Idris

2028 has idris
1 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”