What's a relatively obscure tropical cyclone trivia fact that interests you?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: What's a relatively obscure tropical cyclone trivia fact that interests you?

#21 Postby AnnularCane » Sun May 15, 2022 8:44 am

Male names started being used for the EPAC in 1978, a year earlier than the Atlantic. The 1978 name list was reused four years later rather than six.
2 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: What's a relatively obscure tropical cyclone trivia fact that interests you?

#22 Postby GSBHurricane » Mon May 16, 2022 10:15 am

1) Bess is one of the only, if not THE only, name to be retired twice in the same basin.
2) Hazel is the only name to be retired in both the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific basins
3) Cindy’s spot on List 3 of the current Atlantic lists was supposed to be taken by Carla initially.
2 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am

Iceresistance wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:A TS strength or greater tropical cyclone has never crossed the Florida peninsula and then made it to Texas.

Rita 2005 almost changed that.

Not in the slightest actually, since Rita '05 neither crossed peninsular Florida nor made landfall in Texas. There have been some close calls though. Both my namesake hurricane and the 1919 Corpus Christi Hurricane passed over Dry Tortugas at the end of the keys before their devastating Texas landfalls. Perhaps the closest though is this little-known hurricane from 1934, which formed in the subtropical waters off the Carolinas, crossed Florida near Jacksonville as a TD while moving SW, then became a hurricane in the Guff of Mexico and making landfall along the central Texas coast. I believe this is the only tropical cyclone to cross peninsular Florida at any strength before a Texas landfall.

Also worth note, the-pre best track Racer's Storm of 1837 came somewhat close to doing it in reverse order, though it passed just too far north.
4 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#24 Postby Foxfires » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:47 am

This thread hasn't been replied to in a bit but I just found a really big pressure drop in a relatively short amount of time weirdly early in the season so I have to share it.

Typhoon Olga 1970 pressure drops (Note: anything greater than stated is not available because the storm weakened and then began RD and peaked in less than 24h):
-49mb/8h & 49min, 30 June
-21mb/3h, 30 June - 1 Jul
-70mb/11h & 49min, 30 June - 1 Jul
-74mb/14h & 07min, 30 June - 1 Jul

Insane for a June-July storm imo.
The storm peaked at 904mb early on the 1st of July. It's 140kt on the JTWC's ATCR but I have a feeling that this is one of those storms that are underestimated by quite a bit.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”