Crazy Model Runs that Verified

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Crazy Model Runs that Verified

#1 Postby Foxfires » Thu May 12, 2022 8:12 pm

I was bored and went through some threads and convos about forecasting models doing fantasy runs (I still laugh at HWRF Mangkhut) and that made me wonder: ever a time when those "fantasy runs" were actually right? So I'd like y'all to share times when those crazy, way-too-intense/prolific runs that you laughed at on Twitter actually became reality. It doesn't have to be 100% the same as the actual storm, just close enough that you have to do a double take and think "huh, so I guess it wasn't really a fantasy."

Bonus points if the run was before the actual storm even formed.

Unless those times don't exist and fantasy runs have never actually been right before
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Crazy Model Runs that Verified

#2 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu May 12, 2022 8:17 pm

Ida.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu May 12, 2022 8:17 pm

Foxfires wrote:I was bored and went through some threads and convos about forecasting models doing fantasy runs (I still laugh at HWRF Mangkhut) and that made me wonder: ever a time when those "fantasy runs" were actually right? So I'd like y'all to share times when those crazy, way-too-intense/prolific runs that you laughed at on Twitter actually became reality. It doesn't have to be 100% the same as the actual storm, just close enough that you have to do a double take and think "huh, so I guess it wasn't really a fantasy."

Bonus points if the run was before the actual storm even formed.

Unless those times don't exist and fantasy runs have never actually been right before

Surigae was by far the one storm I remember the GFS predicting more than 15 days in advance, and it consistently blew up the typhoon to super strength. We all know what happened in reality.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby skyline385 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:41 pm

Dorian gets my vote.

HWRF was the first one to predict 910mb-ish iirc as early as when NHC was still predicting a TS run and I remember how everyone laughed it off as HWRF being HWRF since back then it used to be overly bullish. Well we all know how that ended.

EDIT: Found a link for one of those early runs, predicted 918mb all the way from 994mb.

Last edited by skyline385 on Thu May 12, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu May 12, 2022 8:42 pm

HWRF for Cristina 14.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#6 Postby IcyTundra » Thu May 12, 2022 9:11 pm

If I remember correctly in 2008 the Euro had a run before Ike even formed that had what would end up being Ike making landfall in Galveston.
1 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu May 12, 2022 9:30 pm

Alex 2010
Harvey 2017
Micheal 2018
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 13, 2022 8:26 am

Not the current GFS :lol:
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Foxfires
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby Foxfires » Sat May 14, 2022 2:54 am

Ok so apparently the GFS managed to predict Rai 2021 before it even formed with a striking amount of accuracy. The time and location specifically are amazingly close to the actual storm, even if the look is off (not sure about the intensity).

https://twitter.com/FansOfStorms/status/1468379457517989894

https://twitter.com/Minghao_Zhou/status/1471335278036099072

And people were definitely making fun of the GFS for this stuff on this site lol:
"GFS fantasy run has a phantom low latitude monster for central philippines after 93W. It looks so funky i think it wont happen."
"The GFS’ WPac major starts developing on Sunday, and has a very similar track, timing, and genesis as Typhoon Bopha in 2012. That doesn’t mean it’ll suddenly blow up into a Cat 5 before landfall; it’s perhaps more likely that the GFS is once again being too aggressive, and this will be a weaker storm that takes longer to consolidate."
"Yeah, a Cat5 in WPAC in December in a -ENSO would be crazy."

While C5 is debatable this is still weirdly ironic.
1 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby AJC3 » Sat May 14, 2022 5:24 am

If there were a way to retrieve ECM CONUS model data for 2008, I'd show you one particular run that verified quite well about 8 or so days out for TS Fay.

IIRC, it brought Fay northward from the Caribbean across Cuba, turned it NNE/NE through the east side of the peninsula, stalled it a couple hudred miles offshore NEFL, turned it due westward across the north-central penisula and moved it offshore near or a little south of Cedar Key, stalled it again over the NE Gulf, then turned it northward toward a landfall across the pandhandle. I remember briefing the onocoming shift in the afternoon, and we laughed at it.

OOPS.
7 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Iceresistance » Sat May 14, 2022 12:53 pm

skyline385 wrote:Dorian gets my vote.

HWRF was the first one to predict 910mb-ish iirc as early as when NHC was still predicting a TS run and I remember how everyone laughed it off as HWRF being HWRF since back then it used to be overly bullish. Well we all know how that ended.

EDIT: Found a link for one of those early runs, predicted 918mb all the way from 994mb.

https://media.giphy.com/media/JWNVBBtIW7rmCou7Il/giphy.gif

The NAM model was also surprisingly accurate in Hurricane Dorian's intensity. It normally overestimates the hurricanes intensity.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Blown Away » Sat May 14, 2022 7:51 pm

If todays 18z GFS verifies a May major hurricane into SFL, it will rank high on this list.
4 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 pm

Blown Away wrote:If todays 18z GFS verifies a May major hurricane into SFL, it will rank high on this list.

It would be an appropriate and ultimate evolution of the "Alex"-quirkiness though. :D Although I'm assuming if something like that were to actually happen, then Alex would get retired and we would get a new A male name. Not to mention how this storm would be talked about for many years :(
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby skyline385 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:10 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Blown Away wrote:If todays 18z GFS verifies a May major hurricane into SFL, it will rank high on this list.

It would be an appropriate and ultimate evolution of the "Alex"-quirkiness though. :D Although I'm assuming if something like that were to actually happen, then Alex would get retired and we would get a new A male name. Not to mention how this storm would be talked about for many years :(

Pretty sure Miami is going to get PTSD for A-named storms if the 18Z verifies :D
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Teban54 » Sat May 14, 2022 8:30 pm

A major that wrecks Havana, SE Florida and New England in May of all months seems very fitting for a storm named Alex.

On a more serious note, I'm pretty sure the GFS had a run for Alberto '18 with an essentially identical path.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”