Near Yucatán / SE Gulf of Mexico development (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Bay of Campeche area

#21 Postby Jr0d » Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Iceresistance wrote: could theoretically (Some models show it & some don't) make it into the Atlantic with the LLC and still named Agatha, or lose the LLC and regenerate as Alex.

Even if the system remained intact it would get a new name when it crosses over the Atlantic basin as the East Pacific names are for EPAC storms only. Also if an Atlantic(Caribbean) storm crosses Central America intact, it would also get a new name on the Pacific side, the same thing happens when an East Pacific storm crosses the international date line, they get a new name.

First Lemon of the year! I hoping the GFS solution actually pans out because I will be down in Puerto Rico and the GFS solution will be a swell maker for PR. I also do not want to be away if a storm hits home(Key West) as I would like to be able to make sure my boat is safe. The EURO and CMC are hinting at a significant storm heading towards South Florida.

That said, climatology rules this time of the year and the bullish models showing a potential hurricane are highly unlikely given shear factors...the water however is exceptionally hot in the gulf, even for this time of the year.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm

Jr0d wrote:
Iceresistance wrote: could theoretically (Some models show it & some don't) make it into the Atlantic with the LLC and still named Agatha, or lose the LLC and regenerate as Alex.

Even if the system remained intact it would get a new name when it crosses over the Atlantic basin as the East Pacific names are for EPAC storms only. Also if an Atlantic(Caribbean) storm crosses Central America intact, it would also get a new name on the Pacific side, the same thing happens when an East Pacific storm crosses the international date line, they get a new name.

First Lemon of the year! I hoping the GFS solution actually pans out because I will be down in Puerto Rico and the GFS solution will be a swell maker for PR. I also do not want to be away if a storm hits home(Key West) as I would like to be able to make sure my boat is safe. The EURO and CMC are hinting at a significant storm heading towards South Florida.

That said, climatology rules this time of the year and the bullish models showing a potential hurricane are highly unlikely given shear factors...the water however is exceptionally hot in the gulf, even for this time of the year.

That would be our second lemon. Also if Agatha does remain together(very unlikely) it would still be named Agatha.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Iceresistance » Sat May 28, 2022 2:46 pm

Jr0d wrote:

It has changed since then, Hurricane Otto was still 'Otto' when it came into the EPAC from the ATL in 2016.

Either way, this is the 2nd AOI (Area of Interest) of the year, the first one was in May with Invest 90L, which came ashore in Panhandle Florida/Southern Alabama.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#24 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Sat May 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Jr0d wrote:

This used to be the case, but the rules on crossover names changed within the past decade; this is why Hurricane Otto in 2016 was not renamed when it successfully crossed over to the Eastern Pacific from the North Atlantic. If Agatha were to lose its LLC (which is quite likely given the mountainous terrain near the landfall location), then it would be renamed if it were to redevelop in the Bay of Campeche. However, the crossover between basins is no longer a reason why the name of the storm would change.
3 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby underthwx » Sat May 28, 2022 3:00 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
underthwx wrote:

Is this potential BOC low development, an indirect or direct result of whatever Agathas effects are?

Directly from Agatha since the NHC is showing a strong recurve towards the NNE to NE and towards the BoC (As the NHC has a 20% in the next 5 days for that area for this reason), could theoretically (Some models show it & some don't) make it into the Atlantic with the LLC and still named Agatha, or lose the LLC and regenerate as Alex.

Thanks for the reply!.... Couldn't have said it better myself...
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Teban54 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:01 pm

Jr0d wrote:the same thing happens when an East Pacific storm crosses the international date line, they get a new name.

This is also not true. Plenty of storms that crossed over from EPAC/CPAC to WPAC kept their names. Some examples include John 1994, Paka 1997, Ioke 2006, Genevieve 2014, and Hector 2018.

Here is a list of storms that went through EPAC, CPAC and then got all the way to WPAC.
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby SFLcane » Sat May 28, 2022 3:16 pm

Gonna need a bigger boat..

3 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby skyline385 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:26 pm

Total precipitation is kinda misleading, its not that bad when looking at 5-day period.

0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby aspen » Sat May 28, 2022 3:42 pm

The HWRF is, as usual, providing the most bullish solution. It has a strong TS in the Gulf by Day 5, but it doesn’t get far north and instead turns west into Mexico.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Jr0d » Sat May 28, 2022 4:05 pm

Teban54 wrote:
Jr0d wrote:the same thing happens when an East Pacific storm crosses the international date line, they get a new name.

This is also not true. Plenty of storms that crossed over from EPAC/CPAC to WPAC kept their names. Some examples include John 1994, Paka 1997, Ioke 2006, Genevieve 2014, and Hector 2018.

Here is a list of storms that went through EPAC, CPAC and then got all the way to WPAC.

I did not not realize this has changed.

It was awhile ago, but I do remember a CPAC hurricane crossing the date line and becoming a typhoon with a new name in WPAC.

Im glad they changed the naming procedures as it majes no sense to rename a storm just because it is in a different basin.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#31 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 28, 2022 4:21 pm

From 4 PM CDT Agatha discussion:

Rapid weakening is
forecast after the storm makes landfall, and although the storm is
expected to dissipate over the rugged terrain of southern Mexico,
the remnants are likely to move over the southwestern Gulf and the
Yucatan Peninsula around the middle of next week.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby blp » Sat May 28, 2022 6:31 pm

It looks 18z GFS is also slowing things down. Last 5 runs decent shift SW.

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#33 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 28, 2022 6:33 pm

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Sat May 28 2022

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Southwest Gulf of Mexico:
A broad area of low pressure is forecast to form over the
southwestern Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week. Some
gradual development is possible thereafter while the system drifts
generally eastward near the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

$$
Forecaster Reinhart

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

floridasun
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#34 Postby floridasun » Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Tropical Weather Outlook
800 PM EDT Sat May 28 2022

Southwest Gulf of Mexico:
southwestern Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week. Some
gradual development is possible thereafter while the system drifts
generally eastward near the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

$$
Forecaster Reinhart

https://i.imgur.com/iBM5rIh.jpg

you see east stift on yallow cone
0 likes   

floridasun
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#35 Postby floridasun » Sat May 28, 2022 6:50 pm

models dont know were take this after boc some toward north gulf other east north east
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#36 Postby Nuno » Sat May 28, 2022 8:18 pm

Jr0d wrote:
Teban54 wrote:

I did not not realize this has changed.

It was awhile ago, but I do remember a CPAC hurricane crossing the date line and becoming a typhoon with a new name in WPAC.

Im glad they changed the naming procedures as it majes no sense to rename a storm just because it is in a different basin.

You might be confusing with the designation change from Hurricane to Typhoon as John in 1994 kept his name but became Typhoon John after it crossed the dateline into JTWC territory
1 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby NDG » Sat May 28, 2022 8:31 pm

HWRF is on crack with its solution of a Hurricane in the western GOM by mid to late next week when both the GFS and Euro show shear ripping through that area of the GOM.
5 likes   

KN2731
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#38 Postby KN2731 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:30 am

Up to 0/30.
Tropical Weather Outlook
200 AM EDT Sun May 29 2022

1. Southwest Gulf of Mexico and Northwest Caribbean Sea:
southwestern Gulf of Mexico or northwestern Caribbean Sea by the
middle of next week. Some gradual development is possible
thereafter while the system drifts generally eastward or
northeastward.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

Forecaster Latto
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Bay of Campeche / NW Caribbean

#39 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 29, 2022 4:30 am

Includes now NW Caribbean.

1 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby jlauderdal » Sun May 29, 2022 5:26 am

NDG wrote:HWRF is on crack with its solution of a Hurricane in the western GOM by mid to late next week when both the GFS and Euro show shear ripping through that area of the GOM.

The HWRF rarely sees a system it doesn't like for intensification beyond reality
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”