Will the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Have to Use the Auxiliary Naming List?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Will the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Have to Use the Auxiliary Naming List?

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:52 am

Obviously we got extremely close to using the new naming list last year (then the basin just suddenly and unexpectedly shut down) and would have used the list in 2020 if Greeks were abandoned earlier. With that being said and with the predicted high level of activity this year, do you think this year will have a chance of hitting at least Adria and follow the +20 NS pattern seen the last two La Nina years? Or do you think this year may be more of a 2004/2017-esque year in which ACE count is high but the season is highly quality-oriented (so NS count isn't extremely impressive and in the middle 10s)? Or better yet, do you think this year will barely miss the 22 NS mark (ending with 19-21 NSs or so)?

Feel free to share any reasoning and explanations behind whatever your answer is!
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Have to Use the Auxiliary Naming List?

#2 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:00 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:Obviously we got extremely close to using the new naming list last year (then the basin just suddenly and unexpectedly shut down) and would have used the list in 2020 if Greeks were abandoned earlier. With that being said and with the predicted high level of activity this year, do you think this year will have a chance of hitting at least Adria and follow the +20 NS pattern seen the last two La Nina years? Or do you think this year may be more of a 2004/2017-esque year in which ACE count is high but the season is highly quality-oriented (so NS count isn't extremely impressive and in the middle 10s)? Or better yet, do you think this year will barely miss the 22 NS mark (ending with 19-21 NSs or so)?

Feel free to share any reasoning and explanations behind whatever your answer is!

Given that my analogs point to a western-based season and given the fact that quality-over-quantity seasons tend to be MDR-based, I am going to say that exhausting all 21 names on the main list is favored (I am not going to officially declare it one way or the other because it is too early to tell).
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Have to Use the Auxiliary Naming List?

#3 Postby FireRat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:43 pm

It is a tricky guess, but my hunch is that we'll get very close, to about the V storm, and there could be some big ones in the latter alphabet. This would mean that the chances of having to use the auxiliary list are non-zero and maybe more in the order of 25%
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”