Notable Model Debacles and Busts?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:32 am

What were some of the biggest model busts in the past that you remember to this day? For instance, a time when the GFS insisted on a storm happening and the Euro thinking the opposite persistently, only for the GFS to end up right and the Euro to end up wrong (and vice versa)? Or a time when both model runs completely failed to detect genesis or a time when they detected genesis, only for the storm to end up much more powerful than the models thought or end up in a radically different location?
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:56 am

Posted about it in the other thread, for me it's going to be EURO for Laura as it struggled to develop her till forever even when she was already in the Gulf. IIRC the EURO only got a handle of her midway through the Gulf and could have been a life and death scenario for many if the other models didn't pick up on it in advance. I am sure there are worse examples of a model bust but this one sticks out to me from recent years.
3 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Notable Model Debacles and Busts?

#3 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:56 pm

Debby 2012 when the Euro showed it hitting Texas and the GFS showed it heading towards Florida. If the Euro was right, things would have been really bad, but I remember seeing the NHC cone heading towards Texas initially, only for the storm to head the opposite direction. That was a really crazy event though because there were so many moving parts.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby NDG » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:18 pm

To me the biggest bust for all models continues to be Katrina in the short to medium range for all models.
It wasn't until within their 72 hr range that they adjusted a landfall forecast from the FL Panhandle to SE-LA/MS.
The second most bust was how the GFS handled MH Joaquin in 2015, the GFS busted big time with its forecasted track hooking towards the Carolinas while the Euro had it going out to sea eventually after the Bahamas.
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Teban54 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:48 pm

skyline385 wrote:Posted about it in the other thread, for me it's going to be EURO for Laura as it struggled to develop her till forever even when she was already in the Gulf. IIRC the EURO only got a handle of her midway through the Gulf and could have been a life and death scenario for many if the other models didn't pick up on it in advance. I am sure there are worse examples of a model bust but this one sticks out to me from recent years.

Euro also insisted on sending Laura into Galveston/Houston until just before landfall.
2 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:49 pm

Pamela.
3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby aspen » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:09 pm

I remember several models kept predicting that Julian would form sooner than it did and become a strong hurricane in the subtropics, being strengthened by baroclinic forcing. The real Julian was quite a letdown.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:30 pm

Harvey was a collective bust by the major models. 72-84 hours ish before landfall it was forecast to be weak and crash into Mexico
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby galaxy401 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:47 pm

If I remembered correctly, Matthew in 2010 was forecast by the models to move into the Gulf and potentially become a hurricane but the actual storm never made the northward turn and crashed into Central America.

More recently, several models had Nora last year make landfall near Baja California and potentially dump rain up to Arizona. The actual Nora moved way eastward and hit southwest Mexico instead, dissipating by the time it got to the Gulf of California.

Dorian also caused some model debacles as well.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:48 pm

Typhoon Kammuri has gotta be up there. Nearly all the models had a Cat 5 landfall in the Philippines, some were even showing the potential for a Haiyan like storm. While it still ended up becoming a destructive low end Cat 4, it never really got anywhere close to what the models were showing thankfully.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm

galaxy401 wrote:If I remembered correctly, Matthew in 2010 was forecast by the models to move into the Gulf and potentially become a hurricane but the actual storm never made the northward turn and crashed into Central America.

More recently, several models had Nora last year make landfall near Baja California and potentially dump rain up to Arizona. The actual Nora moved way eastward and hit southwest Mexico instead, dissipating by the time it got to the Gulf of California.

I’m pretty sure a bunch of early model runs had Dorian get shredded over Hispaniola as a weak TS and never bother anyone. That aged like milk.

Peter was another underperformer last year. Several models were hyping it up as another high-ACE Cape Verde major, but it took forever to develop and a TUTT came in to prevent it from getting stronger than a weak TS. Victor also fell well below model and official forecasts, never making it past 60 kt despite some models showing it becoming a major.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: Notable Model Debacles and Busts?

#12 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:34 pm

aspen wrote:
galaxy401 wrote:If I remembered correctly, Matthew in 2010 was forecast by the models to move into the Gulf and potentially become a hurricane but the actual storm never made the northward turn and crashed into Central America.

I’m pretty sure a bunch of early model runs had Dorian get shredded over Hispaniola as a weak TS and never bother anyone. That aged like milk.

Peter was another underperformer last year. Several models were hyping it up as another high-ACE Cape Verde major, but it took forever to develop and a TUTT came in to prevent it from getting stronger than a weak TS. Victor also fell well below model and official forecasts, never making it past 60 kt despite some models showing it becoming a major.
Dorian had a center relocation which is hard to predict. Once the new center formed most models turned up the forecast. HWRF was actually the first to predict 910-920mb all the way back from near PR.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:27 pm

1993 - Thanksgiving winter storm across TX. Model back then (MRF, I think) had an Arctic front coming down but the upper low to our west drove it back north to Kansas. At least, according to the model. The 3-day forecast had the front up in Kansas with 70s and 80s across Texas. Turns out, the front was in the Gulf and there was freezing rain and sleet all across Texas. I still have the printed model runs from that storm. That's the storm where Leon Lett of the Cowboys had a problem with a fumble by the goal line up in Dallas. Models always have a problem with Arctic air, thinking the cold, dense air will move with the upper air flow. It doesn't.
3 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:46 pm

Mitch 1998-A lot of the models were forecasting it to go northward but headed southward into central America.
Gilbert -Heard that it was forecast to go into Texas.
Isidore 2002-was suppose to head towards the gulf coast but instead turned southward into the yucatan.
Ike 2008-If I remember right it was suppose to go north of Cuba.
Floyd 1999 was forecasted on the 12th to impact Florida.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:43 am

GFS refused to develop Gert in 2017 even after it had developed. Took until it was a TS to develop it I believe
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

MHC Tracking
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby MHC Tracking » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:03 am

NotSparta wrote:GFS refused to develop Gert in 2017 even after it had developed. Took until it was a TS to develop it I believe

Saw something similar with Hanna in 2020
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby aspen » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:44 am

MHC Tracking wrote:
NotSparta wrote:GFS refused to develop Gert in 2017 even after it had developed. Took until it was a TS to develop it I believe

Saw something similar with Hanna in 2020

Now that you mention it, I recall just about every model failing badly with Hanna. Just a few days before landfall, the Euro had a weak low at most.
7 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby al78 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:24 pm

Hurricane Celia 2010 NE Pacific. Models persistently refusing to intensify it despite apparently favourable conditions, the NHC couldn't understand it and overruled the models to an extent, then it blew up into a cat 5.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .022.shtml?
"NONE OF THE INTENSITY GUIDANCE SHOWS ANY STRENGTHENING OF
CELIA...AND THIS APPEARS SOMEWHAT UNREALISTIC GIVEN THE VERY
FAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL WIND PATTERN AND RELATIVELY WARM WATERS THAT
CELIA IS OVER AT THE MOMENT."
100 kts

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .023.shtml?
"THE INTENSITY MODELS...WHICH HAVE NOT PREDICTED THE INTENSIFICATION
OF CELIA WELL...CONTINUE TO SHOW VIRTUALLY NO ADDITIONAL
STRENGTHENING."
115 kts

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .024.shtml?
"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT CELIA HAS RAPIDLY INTENSIFIED DURING
THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS."
140 kts

Fortunately this was a fish storm.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:33 pm

al78 wrote:Hurricane Celia 2010 NE Pacific. Models persistently refusing to intensify it despite apparently favourable conditions, the NHC couldn't understand it and overruled the models to an extent, then it blew up into a cat 5.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .022.shtml?
"NONE OF THE INTENSITY GUIDANCE SHOWS ANY STRENGTHENING OF
CELIA...AND THIS APPEARS SOMEWHAT UNREALISTIC GIVEN THE VERY
FAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL WIND PATTERN AND RELATIVELY WARM WATERS THAT
CELIA IS OVER AT THE MOMENT."
100 kts

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .023.shtml?
"THE INTENSITY MODELS...WHICH HAVE NOT PREDICTED THE INTENSIFICATION
OF CELIA WELL...CONTINUE TO SHOW VIRTUALLY NO ADDITIONAL
STRENGTHENING."
115 kts

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2010/e ... .024.shtml?
"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT CELIA HAS RAPIDLY INTENSIFIED DURING
THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS."
140 kts

Fortunately this was a fish storm.

Yeah I remember this clear as day. However this is also true for most of the EPAC-CPAC crossers that eventually become annular. Those systems have given the models the fits everytime.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:33 pm

Probably can add PTC2 2022 to this list, all the models were so bullish on it. The EURO at one point had a major in play and so many EPS and GEFS members were on board, meanwhile it’s still missing an LLC.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”