Will any other storms form before July 1?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
emeraldislenc
Category 2
Category 2

Will any other storms form before July 1?

#1 Postby emeraldislenc » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:03 am

What are your thoughts?
2 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Will any other storms form before July 1?

#2 Postby kevin » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 am

Yes, the MDR storm which is currently in the models. I don't know how strong it will get (climo would suggest anything above a TS is unlikely), but I do think it will form.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:49 am

Most likely, no. I still think that Bonnie will most likely form along a frontal boundary off the SE U.S. Coast over the next few weeks, though. Nothing in the MDR over the next few weeks. Too much shear.
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16 pm

Leaning towards no.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:36 pm

Sinking air should return over the EPAC by this month's end, and assuming that MDR system forms (maybe as wxman said, the frontal system off the East Coast too), I can't see why not
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:41 pm

So crazy 2004 didn't get "A" until 7/31
0 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby CFLHurricane » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:01 pm

No, I think we’re in a lull for a bit.
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 pm

Nope.... even though there's a good lookin' wave out east.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:58 pm

Models say that we very well could have Bonnie before July 1st now.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:31 pm

That wave is trying already.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:43 pm

Dang, kudos to those whose answer was no. Never in a million years would I have ever expected a PTC to remain a PTC (let alone a system that many models were once very bullish on) for such a stubbornly long period of time, let alone 95L also failing to develop. :D

This year definitely feels like a contrast to 2020 and 2021 in how not that many early season storms are happening. Of course, that probably means nothing, considering how this year still looks to have the potential to be very active later on
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby FireRat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:Dang, kudos to those whose answer was no. Never in a million years would I have ever expected a PTC to remain a PTC (let alone a system that many models were once very bullish on) for such a stubbornly long period of time, let alone 95L also failing to develop. :D

This year definitely feels like a contrast to 2020 and 2021 in how not that many early season storms are happening. Of course, that probably means nothing, considering how this year still looks to have the potential to be very active later on

Yup, I also have a feeling that this whole PTC thing and the significantly slower start to the season might end up munching off some named storm numbers down the line, so having another season with 20+ systems might actually be tougher to reach than perviously thought.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:59 am

FireRat wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Dang, kudos to those whose answer was no. Never in a million years would I have ever expected a PTC to remain a PTC (let alone a system that many models were once very bullish on) for such a stubbornly long period of time, let alone 95L also failing to develop. :D

Yup, I also have a feeling that this whole PTC thing and the significantly slower start to the season might end up munching off some named storm numbers down the line, so having another season with 20+ systems might actually be tougher to reach than perviously thought.

No way we’re breaking 20 NS at this rate. Not only has there not been enough systems in the early season, but it seems like there will be less subtropical shorties this year; both Alex and soon-to-be-Bonnie have been very quick, but that’s because they waited until the last minute to develop, and both came from tropical origins. If it wasn’t for shorties, 2019 and 2021 would not have had so many NS.

A season like 2017 with a NS count in the high teens and higher ACE per storm seems more probable now, if indicators are right about a MDR-heavy year.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Teban54 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 am

aspen wrote:
FireRat wrote:

No way we’re breaking 20 NS at this rate. Not only has there not been enough systems in the early season, but it seems like there will be less subtropical shorties this year; both Alex and soon-to-be-Bonnie have been very quick, but that’s because they waited until the last minute to develop, and both came from tropical origins. If it wasn’t for shorties, 2019 and 2021 would not have had so many NS.

A season like 2017 with a NS count in the high teens and higher ACE per storm seems more probable now, if indicators are right about a MDR-heavy year.

Especially given the anomalously cooler subtopics now, which favors activity in the deep tropics.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”