Possible Development Near the Central Gulf Coast

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Possible Development Near the Central Gulf Coast

#121 Postby Steve » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:40 pm

Wampadawg wrote:Texas 0-2 on Homegrown
Till the next one lol

Don’t be surprised if SE Texas doesn’t get some enhanced storms by the weekend. There is some activity W and SW of Houston Now and also are some strong storms rotating through extreme SW LA. Overall reach appears to be at least a bit farther west In time. The 6/7pm storms haven’t really held together after dark onshore the last two nights. But don’t give up all hope as you could still get an inch or two under a decent storm.
1 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#122 Postby jaguars_22 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:03 pm

It looks like in the convection under Louisiana there is a spin… any chance this could work down to surface???
0 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#123 Postby Wampadawg » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:36 pm

Steve wrote:
Wampadawg wrote:Texas 0-2 on Homegrown
Till the next one lol

Don’t be surprised if SE Texas doesn’t get some enhanced storms by the weekend. There is some activity W and SW of Houston Now and also are some strong storms rotating through extreme SW LA. Overall reach appears to be at least a bit farther west In time. The 6/7pm storms haven’t really held together after dark onshore the last two nights. But don’t give up all hope as you could still get an inch or two under a decent storm.

We will keep the faith liquid gold will fall from the sky some day, perhaps I should be careful what I wish for.
0 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby Stormcenter » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:01 pm

There is definitely a spin down there south of central
LA. Coastline.

jaguars_22 wrote:It looks like in the convection under Louisiana there is a spin… any chance this could work down to surface???
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:09 pm

It's one thing if the center just goes over land, never to re-emerge over the Gulf again.

It's another thing for a center jump to happen, causing this thing to get more time over the GoM bathwaters.

Idk, these kinds of pop-up, non-tropical origin systems sometimes don't follow what you would expect them to do. I'm still keeping an eye on this system, but despite it being unlikely that it will become anything major, rain will obviously be an issue.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

HeeBGBz
Category 1
Category 1

#126 Postby HeeBGBz » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm

Hi ya'll. I have been camped out around the Davis Bayou Campground. Been through some lightning storms last week. Luckily no wind. Quite a bit of rain. So if something is going to spawn a TD nearly overhead. I'll need to scoot.
1 likes   

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#127 Postby tiger_deF » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:08 am

Convection has all but died down over the Gulf and Gulf coast, but there is fairly potent spin in the lower region of the disturbance over open water. Looking at Meso images, the collapse of storm activity has revealed a circulation well South of Vermillion Bay. IMO if there is any chance of this spinning up in the near term that is the most likely area of development. I think it definitely bears watching, if deeper convection does redevelop in that area I think we could be in for a suprise.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:12 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:It's one thing if the center just goes over land, never to re-emerge over the Gulf again.

It's another thing for a center jump to happen, causing this thing to get more time over the GoM bathwaters.

Idk, these kinds of pop-up, non-tropical origin systems sometimes don't follow what you would expect them to do. I'm still keeping an eye on this system, but despite it being unlikely that it will become anything major, rain will obviously be an issue.

Latest 5 day QPF has > a foot down in lower Plaquenines and maybe 3-4” along the LA/MS/AL and Fl coastal areas. Looks like some storms are firing up south of MS tonight. Those will likely rotate across here tomorrow. It goes without saying but some people will get more and less than the map shows. I think lots more in some places. Otherwise it’s a warmup for a few weeks from now.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i.gif?1657688454
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Dean4Storms » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:17 am

Models all abandoned development but I am trying to drill down to the reason. There’s a trough, low shear and bath water, why didn’t this develop, continental dry air aloft?
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby Nimbus » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:19 am

Dean4Storms wrote:Models all abandoned development but I am trying to drill down to the reason. There’s a trough, low shear and bath water, why didn’t this develop, continental dry air aloft?

Probably the continental dry air aloft, pros only giving this a 10% chance of developing but where there is shear over a surface trough you get uplift and rain. Air appears too stable off the Texas coast unless a circulation develops at the surface.
0 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#131 Postby Wampadawg » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:36 am

Well let’s see if the little fella has any last gasping tricks up his sleeve this morning.
0 likes   

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#132 Postby Wampadawg » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:38 am

Wampadawg wrote:Well let’s see if the little fella has any last gasping tricks up his sleeve this morning.

NHC says goodbye
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:40 am

Dean4Storms wrote:Models all abandoned development but I am trying to drill down to the reason. There’s a trough, low shear and bath water, why didn’t this develop, continental dry air aloft?

July and MJO
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#134 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 am

The fact that it was upstream of an upper-level low that was situated north of western Cuba didn't help. At least there is enough instability along the coast for daily thunderstorms. Had a brief heavy storm again yesterday. Got 0.44" in about 5 minutes. Minor street flooding. Yard is happy. Looks like a quiet next couple of weeks. Perhaps we'll go to the second week of August before the next development.
3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby SoupBone » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:31 am

wxman57 wrote:

The fact that it was upstream of an upper-level low that was situated north of western Cuba didn't help. At least there is enough instability along the coast for daily thunderstorms. Had a brief heavy storm again yesterday. Got 0.44" in about 5 minutes. Minor street flooding. Yard is happy. Looks like a quiet next couple of weeks. Perhaps we'll go to the second week of August before the next development.

From your mouth to God's ears. I just want a little rain here and there. Rained about 3 minutes at my house yesterday.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#136 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:55 am

For anyone that was a asking if recon was going, but all missions were canceled.

ALL MISSIONS TASKED IN TCPOD 22-047 WERE CANCELED BY NHC
AT 13/1315Z.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:47 am

We can wait for Danielle I suppose. :D
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#138 Postby Wampadawg » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:52 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:We can wait for Danielle I suppose. :D

Like today’s airports your flight has been cancelled and you are now being re-routed destination unknown
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#139 Postby wxman57 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:06 pm

SoupBone wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

From your mouth to God's ears. I just want a little rain here and there. Rained about 3 minutes at my house yesterday.

I don't know where you live. Had thunderstorms here in SW Houston Monday and Tuesday. Only glancing blows, but about 0.8" of rain.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby SoupBone » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:22 pm

wxman57 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

I don't know where you live. Had thunderstorms here in SW Houston Monday and Tuesday. Only glancing blows, but about 0.8" of rain.

NW Houston, Cypress area. I was wedged between two cells, two days in a row with no rain. Finally got 3 minutes of rain yesterday.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”