Strong TUTT low in the western Atlantic/Caribbean

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Strong TUTT low in the western Atlantic/Caribbean

#1 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:16 pm

I don’t recall such a vigorous TUTT in a while. Thoughts?
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Strong TUTT low in the western Atlantic/Caribbean

#2 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:26 pm

You did not add a loop so here it is.

5 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby tropicwatch » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:45 pm

That thing is incredibly large. Vorticity current looks to be at the 200-500mb range.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Patrick99 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:48 pm

That is a beast of an ULL. I hope it brings rain to Florida, though these things tend to bust on delivering widespread rain all too often.
2 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:21 pm

Which side shears a TC and which side enhances it?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:27 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Which side shears a TC and which side enhances it?

Could be wrong here but iirc it shears a TC on the south side (opposite direction spin) and helps on the north side by enhancing the outflow.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:37 pm

skyline385 wrote:

Could be wrong here but iirc it shears a TC on the south side (opposite direction spin) and helps on the north side by enhancing the outflow.

Yup, the most prominent example of the north side siding outflow was Irma! Plus, it was genuinely amazing how Jose got that strong so close to Irma and the TUTT that it was associated with.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby skyline385 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:12 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

Yup, the most prominent example of the north side siding outflow was Irma! Plus, it was genuinely amazing how Jose got that strong so close to Irma and the TUTT that it was associated with.

Michael is another good example, it was even getting sheared while in the Caribbean but once it got into the Gulf the outflow helped it blew up.

From the official NHC report, you can see the outflow of Michael enhanced by the trough to its east

2 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Emmett_Brown » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:26 pm

The GFS brings this large ULL into the W Bahamas by the weekend, where it gets absorbed by a trough approaching the US E coast. Could be a few stronger than normal afternoon storms over FL on Sat before it washes out. July in the tropics!
0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#10 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:44 pm

:uarrow: Yeah, happens all the time and the poleward outflow channel creates ideal conditions, but positioning and tilt are very important. Here's WILMA 2005

4 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:28 am

It for sure is going to help promote multicellular storm structures in Florida which is best for rain because of the vertical shear profiles. It doesn’t appear as intense as yesterday but is still very strong. We could see a strong nontropical system result from it and the front. I haven’t looked at models yet though so I don’t know.
3 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby toad strangler » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:46 am

The NWS in MLB isn't too impressed per their latest forecast discussion but good chances of showers will exist.

Friday-Sunday...A soggy weekend appears likely across much of
Central Florida. A weak boundary/trough remains stalled across North
FL/FL panhandle, and a weak mid/upper-level low moves westward from
the Atlantic to the Bahamas and over the FL peninsula this weekend.
These features are mainly reflected in the mid to upper-levels above
700mb, while in the low levels the Atlantic ridge axis is forecast
to shift north of Central FL this weekend. The easterly flow on
Friday veers southeast on Saturday, then south on Sunday. Model
soundings indicate deeper moisture moves over Central FL this
weekend as PWATs jump to over 2.1-2.2" by Sunday.
0 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:08 am

0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby AJC3 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:58 am

If anyone wants to learn a little MET 101, specifically, about atmospheric deformation, then take a look at the upper level (300-200MB) height and wind/streamlines analyses over the Bahamas and western Greater Antilles over the past 48 hours. Watch how the large, well-formed vortex of the TUTT low runs headfirst into an area of strong upper deformation and is now getting absolutely destroyed (pulled apart) by the process. Then look at the global model forecasts over the next day and a half, and watch the feature get finished off. Pretty amazing nerd-type stuff.
7 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby skyline385 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:26 am

AJC3 wrote:If anyone wants to learn a little MET 101, specifically, about atmospheric deformation, then take a look at the upper level (300-200MB) height and wind/streamlines analyses over the Bahamas and western Greater Antilles over the past 48 hours. Watch how the large, well-formed vortex of the TUTT low runs headfirst into an area of strong upper deformation and is now getting absolutely destroyed (pulled apart) by the process. Then look at the global model forecasts over the next day and a half, and watch the feature get finished off. Pretty amazing nerd-type stuff.

What site do you recommend to see this? CIMMS which I typically use only shows data for the last 24 hours.
0 likes   

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby ChrisH-UK » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:15 pm

The TUTT is starting to contract and starting a broad circulation.

Source - https://col.st/oUpsY

0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#17 Postby AJC3 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:49 pm

skyline385 wrote:
AJC3 wrote:If anyone wants to learn a little MET 101, specifically, about atmospheric deformation, then take a look at the upper level (300-200MB) height and wind/streamlines analyses over the Bahamas and western Greater Antilles over the past 48 hours. Watch how the large, well-formed vortex of the TUTT low runs headfirst into an area of strong upper deformation and is now getting absolutely destroyed (pulled apart) by the process. Then look at the global model forecasts over the next day and a half, and watch the feature get finished off. Pretty amazing nerd-type stuff.

What site do you recommend to see this? CIMMS which I typically use only shows data for the last 24 hours.

Great question. I should have checked to make sure real-time deformation analyses (or model forecasts wherein you can use the initializations as proxies) were readily available online.

Of course, now that I checked, they aren't. :oops: Had I known this, I would have started saving images in AWIPS 3 days ago. Ugh...
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”