30th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew this month

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

30th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew this month

#1 Postby AtlanticWind » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:56 am

Hopefully we wont see anything remotely like Andrew this year , but I remember it like yesterday
how quickly South Florida was in the crosshairs with really no Idea where along the coast it was
going to hit even 48 hours out.

It looked like a buzzsaw coming and I have to say it was a pretty unnerving few days and lucky
for me and family that live in Ft Lauderdale we escaped the real fury.

I worked in retail furniture sales and still remember a lady in our store a couple of days later up from south
Miami and she was in our store just walking around in shock, crying and I tried to console her as she
told me she lost everything in her house.

Something that always stuck with me as I follow these storms , how quickly life changing they can be.
3 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 30th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew this month

#2 Postby FireRat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:38 am

Andrew was such an infamous hurricane and the big one for South FL in modern times. I can still remember how shocking the devastation was, even when watching the news of the hurricane outside the US. I was a kid then but clearly remember the day Andrew destroyed south Miami, and when we moved to Miami in 1994, we could still see signs of the destruction in southern Dade county, the burnt-looking pine trees and even some homes that were still destroyed and just laying there. We were fortunate that we didn't move to Miami in 1992 instead. FL hasn't seen anything close to that until Michael in 2018, and even then that was at the opposite end of Florida. Southeast Florida has been lucky since.

Andrew will forever be remembered, no doubt. Incredible to see that 30 years will have passed this month. :eek:
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:28 pm

Andrew was one heck of a hurricane. It defined Buzzsaw.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby AtlanticWind » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:31 pm

The NHC will begin on August 14th to recount the evolution of hurricane Andrew on twitter
and facebook to commemorate the 30th Anniversary.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:30 pm

I was in Florida city and survived Andrew in 92. Never forget
3 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby blp » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:50 pm

I remember living through Andrew but thankfully escaped slightly north in Miami.

I also remember the feeling prior to Andrew. It had been big drought 27 years since the last major (Betsy 65) and most people really didn't take hurricanes seriously. My house one of the few on the block with shutters. Fast forward now we sit 30 years since the last major to hit Miami-Dade and I think people take it more serious and that is in large part to how ferocious Andrew was. It changed a lot of attitudes.

I am also amazed that we are in a longer drought than pre Andrew. We are very lucky.
5 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby AtlanticWind » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:25 pm

0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:09 pm

I remember watching the tropical update on TWC maybe a day or two before Andrew's birth. Whoever was doing the update (can't remember that) pointed out one particular wave off Africa, noting it had a little twisting motion to it. I perked up a bit at that and wondered if something was actually going to happen...for real? (Yeah, I had almost given up on the season by that point. :lol: At the time I had not heard of the infamous bell-ringing or Aug 20 or anything like that.) BOY did it happen!
5 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:00 pm

Still blows my mind how few people died in SFL
considering the destruction and how many storms after that maybe weren’t that vicious but claimed hundreds or thousands more lives. Was kind of tense here but landfall in LA was far enough west that we just got downed limbs and a couple of days off. I walked out my door to go to work because my boss sucked only to smile and turn back around. My wife at the time was 5 months pregnant, and we had to go bum some food from mom’s. Most of the traffic lights were out on that ride.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:47 am

Getting better organized and TWO was written by Lixon Avila.

4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#11 Postby cajungal » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 am

I remember Andrew very well. I had just turned 16 and just started my jr year of high school. Was living just north of Houma. The northern eye wall scraped us for hours and 100 mph winds plus higher gusts. I thought that was the worse I been through til Ida came through. Ida the duration was way longer than Andrew that is why we had so much damage. I would I’ve it if anyone from Florida city, Homestead etc could share their story?
1 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#12 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am

As I've mentioned in other threads, I have no real connection to Andrew but I've always felt some sort of kinship with it because it was THE recent major hurricane of record that was talked about in all the documentaries when I was a young budding weather geek in the '90s, and because most people who know me call me Andy (my name is Andre). I wasn't really old enough to remember tracking it in real time, but I was paying attention by the time of the 1995 season, when Opal became the first storm since then to landfall in the CONUS as a major hurricane, so the Andrew comparisons were frequent in the coverage.

It certainly planted a lot of misconceptions about hurricanes in my mind (and I doubt I'm alone in this) that took quite a few years to dispel; among them that:

1.) Metro southeast Florida is the quintessential hurricane landfall spot.
2.) August major hurricanes (and major hurricane landfalls) are common.
3.) The worst hurricanes do most of their damage with wind.

Regarding the third, it is kind of ironic that Andrew became the costliest hurricane in U.S. history for its time despite being a compact, quick-hitting wind machine. Of course, it was later eclipsed several times over by sprawling, unwound surge-makers (Katrina, Ike, Sandy) and stalled out freshwater flooders like Harvey.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby NDG » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Vis satellite loop when it became at TD exactly 30 years ago. Its low latitude definitely helped it stay away from the stable air/dust to its north.

8 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:06 pm

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:15 pm

Wow...he really was twisting and turning out there. 8-)
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#16 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 am

4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:07 am

Steve wrote:Still blows my mind how few people died in SFL
considering the destruction and how many storms after that maybe weren’t that vicious but claimed hundreds or thousands more lives. Was kind of tense here but landfall in LA was far enough west that we just got downed limbs and a couple of days off. I walked out my door to go to work because my boss sucked only to smile and turn back around. My wife at the time was 5 months pregnant, and we had to go bum some food from mom’s. Most of the traffic lights were out on that ride.

Seems like I remember there being very few deaths from the storm itself, maybe a few suicides related but indirectly to the storm itself and probably some accidents after it passed South Florida.

And people touching live downed powerlines.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#18 Postby Nuno » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 pm

Steve wrote:Still blows my mind how few people died in SFL

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/05/us/a ... llied.html

You would find this article interesting. They are just "rumors" after all (outside of Miami-Dade county).
1 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#19 Postby Nuno » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 pm

What was interesting post-Andrew was how certain things just were never fixed. Light poles that were slightly tilted but not knocked over? Left as is. :lol:
There was also the woman in Cutler Ridge that didn't receive power back for 15 years after the storm.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

canebeard
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#20 Postby canebeard » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 pm

Here is my personal account of Andrew. Fujita and the NHC in their aftermath studies estimated that in my neighborhood sustained winds were 145 mph, with gusts to 175 mph.

https://www.canebeard.com/andrew.html
5 likes   
List of 79 tropical cyclones intercepted by Richard Horodner:
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm
former storm2k screenname Beoumont 2009+

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”