Tropical Wave moving over the Yucatan (Is invest 99L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical Wave Moving Inland Over the Yucatan

#121 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:14 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Looks good. This might be a case of brown ocean effect.
When a tropical disturbance or cyclone strengthens over land, it’s called the brown ocean effect because the moist warm earth is releasing enough latent heat to support the development of a tropical cyclone. Yucatán peninsula has been known to be favorable for cyclone development in some cases.

I think it also has to do with the frictional effects of land vs ocean focusing vorticity...but that is not something I have studied, just heard others talk about it.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 am

Iceresistance wrote:
ScottNAtlanta wrote:Anyone that is viewing the RAMMB/CIRA Slider loops what you would want to see for further development is those lower level clouds start to be pulled in to where the MLC is. Looking at it the MLC is getting much more focused, but I'm not seeing the low level convection move quite yet. The next couple of hours will be telling. There is definitely low level inflow from the SE but that would be expected with a wave axis. If I start seeing it from the SW thats when I know it is trying to focus

I'm seeing that on WeatherNerds.

https://www.weathernerds.org/satellite/?initsatsrc=On&initsatname=GOES-E&initsattype=vis&initcscheme=vis1&initimdimx=1050&initimdimy=780&initrange=22.500:-93.000:15.000:-83.750&initloop=True&initnframes=20&initlightningge=On&initlightninggw=Off&initltngfed=Off&initltngtoe=Off&initinterstates=On&initwarnings=On&initlatlon=Off&initascatb=Off&initascatc=Off&initascatambb=Off&initascatambc=Off&initsst=Off

The loop I was referencing is much higher resolution. It is easier to see, but might suck up a good chunk of bandwidth
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Anyone that is viewing the RAMMB/CIRA Slider loops what you would want to see for further development is those lower level clouds start to be pulled in to where the MLC is. Looking at it the MLC is getting much more focused, but I'm not seeing the low level convection move quite yet. The next couple of hours will be telling. There is definitely low level inflow from the SE but that would be expected with a wave axis. If I start seeing it from the SW thats when I know it is trying to focus

There is def a low level vort in there. not quite expansive enough to see much noticeable inflow on the west side outside the convection. With convection already starting to build along the coast and into the BOC. I would waher it wont be long before we wee a sudden shift in the the low level cloud movement over the BOC.
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:21 am

Zoom Earth indicates a surface low east of Belize.

https://zoom.earth/maps/wind-speed/#view=18.339,-90.548,7z
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#125 Postby Wampadawg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:56 am

Riddle me this what was the last storm that the models did not see to the last moment
0 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#126 Postby wxman22 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:59 am

Wampadawg wrote:Riddle me this what was the last storm that the models did not see to the last moment

Tropical storm Colin of this year...
4 likes   

UTSARoadrunner4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#127 Postby UTSARoadrunner4 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:40 pm

I see this becoming a strong TS or maybe a weak Hurricane. The only thing working against this thing is time, but things can change pretty quickly.
I hate to bring this storm up, but on August 23, 2017, Harvey was just starting up as a TD in the BOC and was only forecasted to be a strong TS. By the 24th, it was already a hurricane and by the 25th it was a MH. Harvey didn’t start creeping until it got close to the Texas.
I’M NOT SAYING THIS WILL BE HARVEY SO DON’T PANIC!! I’M NOT FEAR MONGERING EITHER!! A storm like Harvey is VERY unlikely to happen again and Harvey had some pretty unique circumstances, like a blocking high.
I’m just saying that this thing looks to good OVER the Yucatán to be discounted. I don’t think the models will have a better grasp on this thing until it hits BOC.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#128 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:46 pm

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Thu Aug 18 2022

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Southwestern Gulf of Mexico:
Showers and thunderstorms associated with a tropical wave located
over northern Guatemala and southeastern Mexico have become a little
better organized since yesterday. This system is forecast to emerge
into the Bay of Campeche tomorrow, where an area of low pressure
could form. After that, additional slow development of this system
is possible while it moves northwestward over the southwestern Gulf
of Mexico. By Saturday night, the system is expected to move
inland over northeastern Mexico. An Air Force Reserve Hurricane
Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system on Friday,
if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

$$
Forecaster Beven
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical Wave moving over the Yucatan

#129 Postby jaguars_22 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:57 pm

So if this blob comes out further north and east what does the steering look like? Would it go directly into the front or curve due west and hook into northern Mexico southern Texas? If it’s stronger wouldn’t it gain more latitude?
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby Teban54 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm

UTSARoadrunner4 wrote:I see this becoming a strong TS or maybe a weak Hurricane. The only thing working against this thing is time, but things can change pretty quickly.
I hate to bring this storm up, but on August 23, 2017, Harvey was just starting up as a TD in the BOC and was only forecasted to be a strong TS. By the 24th, it was already a hurricane and by the 25th it was a MH. Harvey didn’t start creeping until it got close to the Texas.
I’M NOT SAYING THIS WILL BE HARVEY SO DON’T PANIC!! I’M NOT FEAR MONGERING EITHER!! A storm like Harvey is VERY unlikely to happen again and Harvey had some pretty unique circumstances, like a blocking high.
I’m just saying that this thing looks to good OVER the Yucatán to be discounted. I don’t think the models will have a better grasp on this thing until it hits BOC.

Also Nicholas last year. Its center relocation and subsequent intensification to a Cat 1 were not expected by most.

I think Nicholas is a reasonable ceiling for this system. I have a feeling that at least some people will be caught off guard by this on the bell ringing day.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
0 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby BobHarlem » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:00 pm

Cloud tops warmed quite a bit recently, so its not looking as healthy as it was this morning, but the structure still seems relatively sound.

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:03 pm

BobHarlem wrote:Cloud tops warmed quite a bit recently, so its not looking as healthy as it was this morning, but the structure still seems relatively sound.

https://i.imgur.com/cv6vtL8.gif

All tropical cyclones must pulse down ( even if you dont notice when it does) during the formative stages.
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#133 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:03 pm

UTSARoadrunner4 wrote:I see this becoming a strong TS or maybe a weak Hurricane. The only thing working against this thing is time, but things can change pretty quickly.

What is your forecast of a strong TS or weak hurricane based on? The setup is not even remotely similar to Harvey. We never stopped our 7-day track forecasts on Harvey when the NHC declared it post-tropical on August 19th. There was good model support for redevelopment and a track to south Texas. This is just a tropical wave crossing the Yucatan. Conditions across the BoC and western Gulf will be far from ideal for development and strengthening. Nothing similar to Harvey. I'm thinking another weak low bordering on the NHC calling it a depression before it moves into NE Mexico Saturday.
3 likes   

Senobia
Category 1
Category 1

#134 Postby Senobia » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:03 pm

There's a front pushing off the SE Texas coast near Galveston this evening/ tonight.
Does anyone have an opinion on how this front might affect this system, if at all?
Add fuel?
Push it south?
Pull it north?

Answered above, asked by someone else. :D
Last edited by Senobia on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#135 Postby wxman57 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:04 pm

jaguars_22 wrote:So if this blob comes out further north and east what does the steering look like? Would it go directly into the front or curve due west and hook into northern Mexico southern Texas? If it’s stronger wouldn’t it gain more latitude?

With ridging over Texas this weekend, northerly winds aloft will be increasing along the Texas coast by Saturday. That keeps all impacts confined to Mexico.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby NDG » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm

I think the reason why the Euro and GFS are not doing much with this TW as it approaches N MX & S TX is because of very dry air over that area that seems to suck it dry as it approaches that area on Saturday.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Squalls building and arcing to the north, does this have a LLC already?

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/32036744.gif
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Tropical Wave moving over the Yucatan (Is invest 99L)

#138 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:31 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”