Tropical Wave moving over the Yucatan (Is invest 99L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tropical wave over Honduras/NW Caribbean

#61 Postby BobHarlem » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:47 am

Wampadawg wrote:Is a recon being scheduled

Wouldn't expect anything until it gets to the BoC, but nothing so far.

Edit, saw this right after I posted this:
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1030 AM EDT WED 17 AUGUST 2022
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 18/1100Z TO 19/1100Z AUGUST 2022
TCPOD NUMBER.....22-083

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE LOW-LEVEL INVEST MISSION
IN THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO NEAR 20.0N 94.0W FOR 19/1800Z.
Last edited by BobHarlem on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby aspen » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:09 am

Still very convectively active this morning and looks to be significantly NE of the NHC’s 8am position. I’d say it’s worthy of an orange this afternoon.

So far the Euro is the only model that does anything with it, and even then it’s just a strong low. It’s unfortunately outside the regions covered by the mesoscale models.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 am

ICON is rolling in and doesn't have much. Looks like a small area of convection just along or south of the TX/Mexico border at 90 hours. It also hints at the possibility of a couple of of coastal lows along the US East Coast.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 1712&fh=90
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#64 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:29 am

BobHarlem wrote:
Wampadawg wrote:Is a recon being scheduled

Wouldn't expect anything until it gets to the BoC, but nothing so far.

Edit, saw this right after I posted this:
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1030 AM EDT WED 17 AUGUST 2022
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 18/1100Z TO 19/1100Z AUGUST 2022
TCPOD NUMBER.....22-083

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE LOW-LEVEL INVEST MISSION
IN THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO NEAR 20.0N 94.0W FOR 19/1800Z.

This means it will be invest tomorrow or Friday.
5 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am

GFS continues to not develop this. Shows a lot of convection and some nice 850mb vorticity but it's strung out.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#66 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:23 am

Tidbit from from Jeff Lindner’s update at 9:15:

Tropical Wave:
Yesterday evening a large ball of deep convection developed along the northern coast of Honduras, and this area of thunderstorms has maintained for most of the night into this morning with some recent weakening. However, early morning visible images suggest that a mid level circulation is evident over the SW Caribbean Sea north of the Honduras coast, which is well north (and over the water) versus 24 hours ago. IR Satellite Loop for Western Atlantic | Tropical Tidbits It appears this circulation is moving toward the W or WNW and a review of surface observations in this area does not reveal any sort of surface circulation. This feature will likely move inland over Belize or the southern Yucatan late today into Thursday and then emerge over the Bay of Campeche on Friday. How this system maintains while moving over the land areas and where it enters the Bay of Campeche will have a potential impact on what happens over the western Gulf of Mexico this weekend. Generally, this wave axis will track NW toward NE MX or S TX over the weekend and some development is possible. Currently NHC has development chances unchanged at 20% over the next 5 days.

The complicate things even more is the potential for yet another frontal boundary to drop southward early next week into N TX and block any tropical system from exiting the state to the NW or N and would potentially leave a weak tropical system lingering over some part of Texas into next week. Needless to say the uncertainty in the forecast over the weekend into next week is high.

Jeff Lindner
1 likes   

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#67 Postby jaguars_22 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:24 am

I’m guessing that’s because it’s fast movement?
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:25 am

jasons2k wrote:Tidbit from from Jeff Lindner’s update at 9:15:

Tropical Wave:
Yesterday evening a large ball of deep convection developed along the northern coast of Honduras, and this area of thunderstorms has maintained for most of the night into this morning with some recent weakening. However, early morning visible images suggest that a mid level circulation is evident over the SW Caribbean Sea north of the Honduras coast, which is well north (and over the water) versus 24 hours ago. IR Satellite Loop for Western Atlantic | Tropical Tidbits It appears this circulation is moving toward the W or WNW and a review of surface observations in this area does not reveal any sort of surface circulation. This feature will likely move inland over Belize or the southern Yucatan late today into Thursday and then emerge over the Bay of Campeche on Friday. How this system maintains while moving over the land areas and where it enters the Bay of Campeche will have a potential impact on what happens over the western Gulf of Mexico this weekend. Generally, this wave axis will track NW toward NE MX or S TX over the weekend and some development is possible. Currently NHC has development chances unchanged at 20% over the next 5 days.

The complicate things even more is the potential for yet another frontal boundary to drop southward early next week into N TX and block any tropical system from exiting the state to the NW or N and would potentially leave a weak tropical system lingering over some part of Texas into next week. Needless to say the uncertainty in the forecast over the weekend into next week is high.

Jeff Lindner

This would be great as long as the rain is slow over days.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:32 am

jaguars_22 wrote:I’m guessing that’s because it’s fast movement?

More like the GFS thinks it's going to speed up.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Wampadawg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#70 Postby Wampadawg » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 am

jasons2k wrote:Tidbit from from Jeff Lindner’s update at 9:15:

Tropical Wave:

Jeff Lindner

Well that leaves a lot of balls in the air
0 likes   
Harvey,Hanna,Beta,Texas Winter storm2021,Nicholas

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 pm

I feel like I have seen this scenario before. Wave further north than forecast, situated underneath an anticyclone, with an ULL moving in tandem to the west. I suspect this is going to develop current model support or not. The models don't have this initialized correctly, and it doesn't look to me like the convection is weakening.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby Nimbus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm

Kingarabian wrote:GFS continues to not develop this. Shows a lot of convection and some nice 850mb vorticity but it's strung out.

This was a broad shallow wave about 1013 mb and the convection is consistent with light shear from the south blowing over steaming SST's which causes convection to lift.

I didn't look for buoys and didn't see any obvious low level center and since it will probably be over land again by tonight there isn't much to report(yet).
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#73 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:35 pm

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Wed Aug 17 2022

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Southwestern Gulf of Mexico:
A tropical wave over the northwestern Caribbean Sea is forecast to
move across Central America during the next couple of days and
emerge over the Bay of Campeche, where an area of low pressure could
form on Friday. Some gradual development of this system is possible
while it moves northwestward over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico
through the weekend.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

Forecaster Bucci/Beven
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#74 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:37 pm

It appears to be already inland over Belize. Some rotation aloft, but nothing at the surface. I'd give it a 50% chance of becoming a TD or possibly a weak TS prior to moving ashore north of Tampico Saturday. Not much rain for south Texas, but the front will provide some rain across much of the state.
3 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:16 pm

NAM catching up to the rest of the models with a weak surface low, compared to a flat wind surge, and further east.

0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave Moving Inland Over the Yucatan

#76 Postby Edwards Limestone » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 pm

What stops this from becoming a hurricane once in the BOC? I feel like we've seen this scenario play out before right about this time of year.

Shear, dry air, time? What am I missing?

Not sounding alarm bells, just genuinely curious.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby Nimbus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:What stops this from becoming a hurricane once in the BOC? I feel like we've seen this scenario play out before right about this time of year.

Low surface pressure.
I looked around for observations and found that the lowest surface pressure was near 1010 mb's as the system passed over Ambergris Caye earlier. Should have some time over warm SST's once it reaches the Bay of Campeche if the model tracks are correct but potentially dry air.
2 likes   

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#78 Postby ChrisH-UK » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:10 pm

The system looks to be disorganised so far and is trying to settle on which rotation for it to settle on. Where the ECWMF have it close to Mexico interestingly the GFS is showing a much more disorganised system head more towards north west Gulf coast.

Belize radar loop

GOES-16 Geo-Colour Loop

GEOS-16 X-ray view (Optical Depth)

2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby Steve » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:19 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:What stops this from becoming a hurricane once in the BOC? I feel like we've seen this scenario play out before right about this time of year.

Time most likely. I think a lot of last night's overnight sustained convection had to do with land/sea interaction as the majority of the deepest convection was over water as you'd expect. But that dies off a lot of times before refiring which it didn't. So the instability had to be the trough interacting with land forcing the lift over the water which more than likely was warmer at night than the land as it usually is in the Gulf and Caribbean in the summer in the overnight hours.

So if it crosses the Yucatan on a WNWish track, it's not going to emerge as anything particularly healthy and would only have a limited time to get over to the State of Tamaulipas or deep south Texas as surge of tropical moisture or relatively weak low pressure system (if it can get a circulation to the surface). OTOH, if the system was farther east and emerged more off the northern tip of the Yucatan into the Gulf instead of the Bay of Campeche, I think it would have more time to get organized. Hard to say how strong it could get because of the likely shear to the north unless the continental high moved east, the front washed out, and the system was left behind. I think in that kind of scenario, you could see a hurricane or at least a strong tropical storm. It's not likely this time though I don't think.
1 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby BobHarlem » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:39 pm

Here's how it's looking on IR this afternoon, still has quite a bit of convection even as it is moving over land.

2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”